PolyMath v0.93

SergeStinckwich
Hi all,

I release a new version of PolyMath with some pending commits in the inbox. You can load the new version with :

Metacello new
  repository: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/PolyMath/PolyMath/main';
  configuration: 'PolyMath';
  version: '0.93';
  load

Apparently there is some red tests with matrices. Evan can you have a look, apparently this is your code ?

​Thank you all.
--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC/UY1)

Re: PolyMath v0.93

Evan Donahue
Hi,

No problem. It looks like I wrote the tests, but not the code. I wrote the tests to document bugs in the existing code.

- PMMatrix >> cumsum has been changed so that it returns self (collect has been replaced with do), which looks to me like it is a mistake.
- Adding numbers and matrices no longer performs element-wise addition, but seems to throw an error. Is this intended behavior? I could see an argument for either way. I prefer the polymorphic mixing of numbers and matrices, when possible.
- Adding matrices of different sizes returns an incorrect matrix rather than throwing a SizeMismatch error. This could be intended behavior or not depending on whether you want to do array bounds checking or not for speed. I prefer the former, but I know others prefer the latter. Ideally this could be solved with the contracts library I should be releasing soon and everyone will be happy.

So as far as I can tell, the tests still look right to me unless the underlying API has changed. I don't know who wrote or changed the methods, so I'm not sure what their intended behavior is supposed to be. I can help patch them, but I'm not sure how to decide what the correct behavior is supposed to be in cases where it is unclear. I don't want to just change them back if someone had a reason to try to change them in the first place. Thoughts?

Best,
Evan

On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 5:48 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I release a new version of PolyMath with some pending commits in the inbox. You can load the new version with :

Metacello new
  repository: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/PolyMath/PolyMath/main';
  configuration: 'PolyMath';
  version: '0.93';
  load

Apparently there is some red tests with matrices. Evan can you have a look, apparently this is your code ?

​Thank you all.
--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC/UY1)
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: PolyMath v0.93

SergeStinckwich

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 12:23 AM, Evan Donahue <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

​Hi Evan,

No problem. It looks like I wrote the tests, but not the code. I wrote the tests to document bugs in the existing code.

​Sorry Evan, I thought it was you. My mistake.
This is really great to wrote tests about the API !
We need more of these :-)

- PMMatrix >> cumsum has been changed so that it returns self (collect has been replaced with do), which looks to me like it is a mistake.

​I fix this one. Apparently the code was lost during some previous merges ...
​Available now in Math-Matrix-SergeStinckwich.25

[...]

​I have to look at these one.

​Thank you for you work.