Polycephaly

Steffen Märcker
Hi folks,

today I've tried to use the Polycephaly package to get some heavy
compuations done by drone images. However, my application generates some
code (namespaces, classes and shared vars) during runtime _before_ I start
any drone image, but I ran into some OSTransferError. It seems that
everything has to be defined in the applications startup image _on_disk_.
I've been able to circumvent this by taking a snapshot right before
starting up the drones.

However, ss there another way to propagate the image's current state to
these drones instead of snapshotting to disk?

Btw: great package - just KISS!

Cheeers, Steffen

Re: Polycephaly

Dave Stevenson-3
See AppDevGuide.pdf under

VisualWorks Command Line Options

You can write code to a fileout and specify the drone image's command line to file in that file on startup.

Dave Stevenson
[hidden email]

Re: Polycephaly

Georg Heeg
Steffen,

on some operating systems, mainly Unix, there is a system call named fork.
This call duplicates a running program, see
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xsh/fork.html. We have done
experiences with it and it applies also to Smalltalk. We used to do a
snapshot without losing the reactiveness of the system, and it worked (on
Linux). I think a similar approach should also apply to Polycephaly and the
way you want to use it.

Georg

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812
Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

Re: Polycephaly

Steffen Märcker
Ok, I'll look into this.
Since all classes and namespaces are generated in one package, it should
work to file out that as parcel. But I wonder whether this works for
instances stored in shared variables package too, since they are
referenced elsewhere. Are the object identities preserved? This is
important for my application because it needs to pass some of that
instances as arguments to the block / code to be run in the drones.
Imagine a structure like:

GeneratedCodePackage
        NamespaceA
        NamespaceA.ClassA
        NamespaceA at: SharedVariable put: InstanceOfClassA

vm := VirtualMachine new.
vm do: [:ins | Computation on: ins] with: someDataStructure.

... where someDataStructure may contain other objects referencing
InstanceOfClassA.

Regards,
Steffen

Am 19.02.2010, 18:00 Uhr, schrieb Dave Stevenson
<[hidden email]>:

> See AppDevGuide.pdf under VisualWorks Command Line Options
> You can write code to a fileout and specify the drone image's command
> line to file in that file on startup.
>
>  Dave Stevenson
> [hidden email]
>

> ________________________________

Re: Polycephaly, Runtime Image

Steffen Märcker

I've been testing a bit more and ran into another small problem. If I
build a runtime image, polycephaly won't work (error.log attached).
Actually this tracks down to "DeploymentOptionsSystem current
startInRuntime: true", but I do not understand how this affects this
concurrency mechanism. Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance,
Steffen Märcker

error.log (164K) Download Attachment

Re: Polycephaly, Runtime Image

Steffen Märcker

I've been testing a bit more and ran into another small problem. If I
build a runtime image, polycephaly won't work (error.log attached).
Actually this tracks down to "DeploymentOptionsSystem current
startInRuntime: true", but I do not understand how this affects this
concurrency mechanism. Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance,
Steffen Märcker

Am 19.02.2010, 17:56 Uhr, schrieb Steffen Märcker <[hidden email]>:

> Hi folks,
>
> today I've tried to use the Polycephaly package to get some heavy
> compuations done by drone images. However, my application generates some
> code (namespaces, classes and shared vars) during runtime _before_ I
> start
> any drone image, but I ran into some OSTransferError. It seems that
> everything has to be defined in the applications startup image _on_disk_.
> I've been able to circumvent this by taking a snapshot right before
> starting up the drones.
>
> However, ss there another way to propagate the image's current state to
> these drones instead of snapshotting to disk?
>
> Btw: great package - just KISS!
>
> Cheeers, Steffen

error.log.zip (14K) Download Attachment