Polymorph depends on Sound

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Gary,

I'm working on removing the Sound package. Polymorph's SoundTheme
class has some methods that reference RestSound.

For instance:

windowRestoreDownSound
        ^self sounds at: #windowRestoreDown ifAbsent: [RestSound dur: 0]

Could we change these methods, for example like this:

windowRestoreDownSound
        ^self sounds at: #windowRestoreDown ifAbsent: [self
defaultDefaultSound]

and then

defaultDefaultSound
        ^ Beeper default

Projects that use sound can then load the Sound package and define
their own SoundTheme. If this is OK with you I'll do these changes in
Pharo and you can pick them up and merge them later.

Cheers,
Adrian

Re: Polymorph depends on Sound

Gary Chambers-4
No problem.

Regards, Gary

> I'm working on removing the Sound package. Polymorph's SoundTheme
> class has some methods that reference RestSound.
>
> For instance:
>
> windowRestoreDownSound
> ^self sounds at: #windowRestoreDown ifAbsent: [RestSound dur: 0]
>

> Could we change these methods, for example like this:
>
> windowRestoreDownSound
> ^self sounds at: #windowRestoreDown ifAbsent: [self
> defaultDefaultSound]
>
> and then
>
> defaultDefaultSound
> ^ Beeper default
>
> Projects that use sound can then load the Sound package and define
> their own SoundTheme. If this is OK with you I'll do these changes in
> Pharo and you can pick them up and merge them later.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian

Re: Polymorph depends on Sound

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Gary,

In the Pharo project, there is a new version of Polymorph with these
changes.

Cheers,
Adrian

On Jul 27, 2009, at 11:54 , Gary Chambers wrote:

> No problem.
>
> Regards, Gary

Eagle Offshore
I understand wanting to limit dependencies and clean stuff up - but is
there a particular reason why we don't think the basic ability to play
sounds belongs in a base application development environment?

Seems like a core capability and I worry about sound rotting if it
doesn't live in the base image.

-Todd Blanchard

On Jul 28, 2009, at 12:34 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> In the Pharo project, there is a new version of Polymorph with these
> changes.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> On Jul 27, 2009, at 11:54 , Gary Chambers wrote:
>
>> No problem.
>>
>> Regards, Gary

>>> Adrian
>>> ___________________
>>> http://www.adrian-lienhard.ch/

Re: Polymorph depends on Sound

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Todd,

I don't think it is a true core capability, considering that many if
not the majority of applications built with Pharo are web-based. I
don't think that Sound will rot now _if_ projects exist that are using
it. If nobody is using and caring about it, then, yes, it may indeed
rott. If really a lot of projects use Sound we could consider
including it in the Pharo image. In any case, I strongly believe that
making the image more modular and removing non-system/core behavior
from the core image is the way to go. Also, keeping code in the image
does not guarantee it does not rott (see e.g., EToys).

Cheers,
Adrian

On Jul 28, 2009, at 10:52 , Eagle Offshore wrote:

> I understand wanting to limit dependencies and clean stuff up - but is
> there a particular reason why we don't think the basic ability to play
> sounds belongs in a base application development environment?
>
> Seems like a core capability and I worry about sound rotting if it
> doesn't live in the base image.
>
> -Todd Blanchard
>
> On Jul 28, 2009, at 12:34 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>
>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> In the Pharo project, there is a new version of Polymorph with these
>> changes.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian
>>
>> On Jul 27, 2009, at 11:54 , Gary Chambers wrote:
>>
>>> No problem.
>>>
>>> Regards, Gary

Igor Stasenko
2009/7/28 Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Todd,
>
> I don't think it is a true core capability, considering that many if
> not the majority of applications built with Pharo are web-based. I
> don't think that Sound will rot now _if_ projects exist that are using
> it. If nobody is using and caring about it, then, yes, it may indeed
> rott. If really a lot of projects use Sound we could consider
> including it in the Pharo image. In any case, I strongly believe that
> making the image more modular and removing non-system/core behavior
> from the core image is the way to go. Also, keeping code in the image
> does not guarantee it does not rott (see e.g., EToys).

+1
if one package can live without strict dependency on some other
package, then it should.

> Cheers,
> Adrian
>

> On Jul 28, 2009, at 10:52 , Eagle Offshore wrote:
>
>> I understand wanting to limit dependencies and clean stuff up - but is
>> there a particular reason why we don't think the basic ability to play
>> sounds belongs in a base application development environment?
>>
>> Seems like a core capability and I worry about sound rotting if it
>> doesn't live in the base image.
>>
>> -Todd Blanchard
>>
>> On Jul 28, 2009, at 12:34 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Gary,
>>>
>>> In the Pharo project, there is a new version of Polymorph with these
>>> changes.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Adrian

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Polymorph depends on Sound

Eagle Offshore
I was hoping with the snazzy new UI that we would get beyond web
applications. :-)

I agree that being able to offload it cleanly is good.

On Jul 28, 2009, at 2:24 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> I don't think it is a true core capability, considering that many if
> not the majority of applications built with Pharo are web-based.

Re: Polymorph depends on Sound

johnmci
Todd as an example here I ripped all of the Sound logic out of the
wikiserver image
since it takes space and I left just the

AbstractSound
RestSound
SoundBuffer
SoundPlayer

in the image.

No doubt I could have tried harder and removed those too.

--
=
=

Re: Polymorph depends on Sound

Adrian Lienhard
I've also removed these four classes.

Adrian

BTW, now the external package [1] properly loads into Pharo-core.

[1] http://www.squeaksource.com/PharoSound.html