Polymorph improvements

Gary Chambers-4
Hi all.

I've added an issue with some tweaks/improvements to a few Polymorph classes.

Groupboxes can now have dynamic content (model/getContentSelector based).
Abaility to create icon lists via builder/TEasilyThemed.
Expander labels now LabelMorphs rather than TextMorphs (can therefore appear as disabled)
IncrementalSliderMorphs now honour minWidth/minHeight in layouts
Panel morphs allow event based mouse over handling (call to super was missing).
Label groups allow for nil labels (equates to empty string)

Regards, Gary

Re: Polymorph improvements

Gary Chambers-4

Regards, Gary

Regards, Gary

Re: Polymorph improvements

garduino
Very nice!

2011/8/2 Gary Chambers <[hidden email]>:

> Screenshot of part of project:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/12018791@N06/6001799235/in/photostream
> Regards, Gary

Re: Polymorph improvements

thanks for sharing that with us.

BTW did you see my question (some weeks ago) about minimalExtent or maximalExtent for window
it seems that it is totally unused.

Stef

> Screenshot of part of project: http://www.flickr.com/photos/12018791@N06/6001799235/in/photostream
>
> Regards, Gary

Re: Polymorph improvements

Lorenzo
Hi Gary,

I have seen from your screenshots that you are working on OCR projecr; can you give my some information about it?

Thanks

Lorenzo

Regards, Gary

Re: Polymorph improvements

Gary Chambers-4
Stef,

can't find any mails relating to minimumExtent and maximumExtent.
I'm sure the min used to be honoured though (maybe back in Squeak, clearly
not now since not sent!).

Regards, Gary

BTW did you see my question (some weeks ago) about minimalExtent or
maximalExtent for window
it seems that it is totally unused.

Stef

> Screenshot of part of project:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/12018791@N06/6001799235/in/photostream
>
> Regards, Gary

Re: Polymorph improvements

Gary Chambers-4
Hi Lorenzo,

I can't say too much at present but is basically a commercial application for a client for handling postal packages that slip through the rest of their automated processes.

So, using a handheld scanner (like MBagger) it gets a scan of the address label, OCRs it and extracts relevant information that can be passed on to their existing (VB) application, along with, say weight from electronic scales etc.

Currently we are trialling various 3rd party OCR engines: Abbyy, OmniPage and Tesseract (open source).

Of course, I'm making it vastly configurable so there will many potential uses...

Sorry if you were actually think that the OCR itself was done by us in Smalltalk ;-)

Regards, Gary
I have seen from your screenshots that you are working on OCR projecr; can you give my some information about it?

Thanks

Lorenzo

Regards, Gary

Re: Polymorph improvements

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

No apologies, please :)  It's nice to Pharo being used for things like this.  How are you connecting to the OCR engines and VB app?  If those questions are too probing, then pretend I didn't ask.

Bill

I have seen from your screenshots that you are working on OCR projecr; can you give my some information about it?

Thanks

Lorenzo

Regards, Gary

Re: Polymorph improvements

Gary Chambers-4
Bill,

no prob.
For OmniPage we are using FFI with the SDK dlls, the others essentially command line (via FFI for CreateProcess on Win32 etc) as quickest to do for evaluation purposes.

For app comms, at present just a serious abuse of the clipboard for now. We can add Socket modules etc. as required ;-)

As a desire, it would be nice if the clipboard plugin could do non-text types (Forms for example)... then we won't have to do platform specifc stuff when the need arises (just pasting plain-text/XML at the moment).

One amusement is our clipboard "processor" can look out for certain keyword structures for a bi-directional interface. The app can actually work nicely with Notepad, say! (manually copy command to retrive xml from Notepad then clipboard text replaced with the requested XMl from our app... then paste in).

We chose the abused clipboard route as being the simplest form of inter-process communications for demonstration purposes.

Regards, Gary
No apologies, please :)  It's nice to Pharo being used for things like this.  How are you connecting to the OCR engines and VB app?  If those questions are too probing, then pretend I didn't ask.

Bill

I have seen from your screenshots that you are working on OCR projecr; can you give my some information about it?

Thanks

Lorenzo

Regards, Gary

Re: Polymorph improvements

Lorenzo
Thank you Gary,

no problem about the fact that OCR is not in ST; as I am working to some projects myself, I know that the problem is to integrate the right tool.

Do you mind keeping me informed about the results you reach?

Grazie

Lorenzo

I have seen from your screenshots that you are working on OCR projecr; can you give my some information about it?

Thanks

Lorenzo

Regards, Gary

Re: Polymorph improvements

Gary Chambers-4
No prob.

OmniPage is looking to be the frontrunner at the moment balanced upon accuracy vs. speed.
These things do cost though... Tesseract doesn't do too badly but absolutely requires the image cleanup stuff we did for MBagger. The others also tend to do better with our preprocessing.

Regards, Gary

I have seen from your screenshots that you are working on OCR projecr; can you give my some information about it?

Thanks

Lorenzo

Regards, Gary

Re: Polymorph improvements

Did you chekc sophie because may be I'm wrong but the copy paste could paste morph?

On Aug 4, 2011, at 5:18 PM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Bill,
>
> no prob.
> For OmniPage we are using FFI with the SDK dlls, the others essentially command line (via FFI for CreateProcess on Win32 etc) as quickest to do for evaluation purposes.
>
> For app comms, at present just a serious abuse of the clipboard for now. We can add Socket modules etc. as required ;-)
>
> As a desire, it would be nice if the clipboard plugin could do non-text types (Forms for example)... then we won't have to do platform specifc stuff when the need arises (just pasting plain-text/XML at the moment).
>
> One amusement is our clipboard "processor" can look out for certain keyword structures for a bi-directional interface. The app can actually work nicely with Notepad, say! (manually copy command to retrive xml from Notepad then clipboard text replaced with the requested XMl from our app... then paste in).
>
> We chose the abused clipboard route as being the simplest form of inter-process communications for demonstration purposes.
>
> Regards, Gary

Re: Polymorph improvements

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I think it's encouraging that the OCR is not in Smalltalk.  The fact that Pharo can get between an OCR library and a VB app is a good sign.  One could write an OCR system in Smalltalk, but should not _need_ to do so :)

Bill

I have seen from your screenshots that you are working on OCR projecr; can you give my some information about it?

Thanks

Lorenzo

Regards, Gary

Re: Polymorph improvements

Gary Chambers-4
Just a few more screenshots...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12018791@N06/sets/72157601659393251/with/6025912301/

A few Polymorph tweaks yet to come (AlphaImageMorph with scaling but
retained aspect ratio for one...)

Regards, Gary

Re: Polymorph improvements

JonyGreen
if you like tesseract ocr, you may like this free online ocr tool using tesseract ocr 3.02