Polymorph observations

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

I have done a little with Polymorph and am quite impressed.  A small usability suggestion for the examples is to include comments with the text on a line by itself.  It is a lot easier to execute something formatted as

"
     ThisOrThat example
     ThisOrThat someOtherExample
"

than it is the  (very common in Squeak) "GoAhead iChallengeYouToSelectMe andMissTheQuotes".

On to more substantive things.  TEasilyThemed is a big help, but some model and/or presenter classes would help.  Consider a list.  One has to define an aspect for the selection index and initialize it to zero.  Similar comments apply to trees, with the added wrinkle of wrapping the nodes with appropriate objects.

Dolphin's MVP framework creates default models that can be replaced.  One weakness of the defaults is that they can take significant time to create for substantial objects.  I hacked around that, and we could easily design it out of anything that we build.  Dolphin lists and trees treat their selection in terms of the object selected rather than the index.  One can get and set the index if needed, but it is not generally as interesting as the object behind the selection.

One good thing about specifying the aspect is that one can can connect a view to an aspect of any model.  Dolphin allows for the same flexibility via value adapters and type converters.

Does TEasilyThemed include helpers for creating splitters?

Bill

Re: Polymorph observations

Gary Chambers-4
Thanks Bill.

The "Squeak" way allows double-click just inside the first quote to select the relevant snippet of course though ;-)

Perhaps default models would be a good idea though it can, with over-reliance, tend to distance things from the real model...

Nothing in TEasilyThemed for splitters. Note that Polymorph only fixes issues with SystemWindow splitter usage at present, rather than arbitrary owner morphs.

Given a system window:

 win addPaneVSplitterBetween: morph1 and: {morph2}.
 main splitters last
  color: win paneColor.

Given other morphs (for the moment).

 aMorph addPaneVSplitterBetween: morph1 and: {morph2}.
 aMorph splitters last
  color: aMorph paneColor;
  addLeftOrTop: morph1;
  addRightOrBottom: morph2.

Regards, Gary

Re: Polymorph observations

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

Thanks for the pointers.  Your point on default models is well-taken, but nothing (not much anyway) prevents their being replaced when something such as an aspect value adaptor is indicated.  Changing models on the fly has long been a weakness of Dolphin; Object Arts essentially said "do as we say, not as we do."  I think we can find ways to make it all work as one would hope.  At a minimum, there should be alternative factory selectors that do not require the selection aspects when those do nothing besides support the user interface (which I submit is probably more often than not).

Details aside, Polymorph is very impressive work - thanks for making it available to us!!