Pool dictionaries

Schwab,Wilhelm K
What is the current status of pool dictionaries?  I have some code that uses one, and for pretty good reason.  What do I need to do?

Bill

Re: Pool dictionaries

Gary Chambers-4
See SharedPool and subclasses...

No longer dictionaries as such, explained in the class comment.

Subclass SharedPool with the name you want and add class vars and
initialisers.

Regards, Gary

> What is the current status of pool dictionaries?  I have some code that
> uses one, and for pretty good reason.  What do I need to do?
>
> Bill

Re: Pool dictionaries

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

I found SharedPool, but it was not clear to me how it was supposed to work.  By initializers, do you mean a class-side #initialize that sets the values of the class variables?  How many class variables can a class have?  There are quite a few constants in/for the offending gizmo  =:0  I could create multiple pools, which might make things more readable, but the real goal is to just make it work.

Thanks,

Bill

> What is the current status of pool dictionaries?  I have some code that
> uses one, and for pretty good reason.  What do I need to do?
>
> Bill

Re: Pool dictionaries

Gary Chambers-4
Hi Bill,

not sure of the limit, if there is one.
See BalloonEngineConstants for an example (that has lots too!).

Regards, Gary

> I found SharedPool, but it was not clear to me how it was supposed to
> work.  By initializers, do you mean a class-side #initialize that sets the
> values of the class variables?  How many class variables can a class have?
> There are quite a few constants in/for the offending gizmo  =:0  I could
> create multiple pools, which might make things more readable, but the real
> goal is to just make it work.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill

Re: Pool dictionaries

Nicolas Cellier
There is no limit in the number of class variables nor the number of
pool variables, not the number of globals in a namspace, they all
behave like a Dictionary...
The limit is on the number of literals you can embed in a method, and
each shared variable (Gloabls, class varaibles and pool variables)
consumes one slot.
Practically you'll just need to split your initialization into several chunks

MyPool>>initialize
  self initializeThis; initializeThat; initializeTheRest.

Nicolas

2010/7/27 Gary Chambers <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Bill,
>
> not sure of the limit, if there is one.
> See BalloonEngineConstants for an example (that has lots too!).
>
> Regards, Gary
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Schwab,Wilhelm K"
> <[hidden email]>

Re: Pool dictionaries

Schwab,Wilhelm K

----
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
bschwab AT anest DOT ufl DOT edu

See BalloonEngineConstants for an example (that has lots too!).

Regards, Gary

> I found SharedPool, but it was not clear to me how it was supposed to
> work.  By initializers, do you mean a class-side #initialize that sets the
> values of the class variables?  How many class variables can a class have?
> There are quite a few constants in/for the offending gizmo  =:0  I could
> create multiple pools, which might make things more readable, but the real
> goal is to just make it work.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill

Re: Pool dictionaries

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

Now THAT helped :)

One caveat is that the resulting monolithic #initialize overwhelms the compiler.  At least the compiler complains about it rather than silently failing.  I simply broke up the source into #initialize1 and 2, and all appears to have worked.

Bill