Popularity of Smalltalk in Software Industry

1234567

Re: Popularity of Smalltalk in Software Industry

Toon Verwaest-2
Exactly right.

BUT! Very cool job. I'll have a look at it in detail once I start
interfacing more thoroughly with real C apps outside of my own natives :)
I wonder if being able to extend the object model of Smalltalk for
native object wrappers would give you benefit... I guess it would?

On 05/06/2011 10:30 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> [...]
>>> ctypes is a foreign function library for Python. It provides C compatible
>>> data types, and allows calling functions in DLLs or shared libraries. It can
>>> be used to wrap these libraries in pure Python.

>>> ctypes exports the cdll, and on Windows windll and oledll objects, for
>>>
>>> You load libraries by accessing them as attributes of these objects. cdll
>>> loads libraries which export functions using the standard cdecl calling
>>> convention, while windll libraries call functions using the stdcall calling
>>> convention. oledll also uses the stdcall calling convention, and assumes the
>>> functions return a Windows HRESULT error code. The error code is used to
>>> automatically raise a WindowsError exception when the function call fails.
>>>
>>> Here are some examples for Windows. Note that msvcrt is the MS standard C
>>> library containing most standard C functions, and uses the cdecl calling
>>> convention:

>>> <WinDLL 'kernel32', handle ... at ...>
>>> <CDLL 'msvcrt', handle ... at ...>
>> So? Why do you think that you cannot do the same in Pharo?
>> Have you digested what is available before doing it in Python?
>>

>>> """
>>>
>>> It has examples for windows and linux.
>>>
>> I feel that you are seriously under-informed.
>> Just try googling for:
>>
>> Squeak + FFI
>> Alien
>>
>> NativeBoost
>>
>> and just check what you can do using it:
>>
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/NBOpenGL/
>>
>> also check mail archives.
>>
>> Forgive me, but i really can't understand , why you can't just look
>> for what you need by yourself?
>> Are google.com banned by your ISP?
>>
>> For me this subject is interested in aspect, why this information
>> (while being available openly) didn't catch your
>> attention , so you using python instead.
>> (Okay, you might miss some functionality like being able to
>> automatically generate bindings to COM interfaces).
>> But again, i am sure that if you surf the net or ask right questions
>> on mailing list, you will probably discover that
>> there is already work being done in that direction.
>> And at last, if you feel that there is missing some key functionality
>> which you want, and you expect that it is also
>> could be useful to community, you can always implement it and share
>> with people (instead of using Python ;).
>> So, next who will come after you won't find himself in a desert with
>> couple of oasises few hundred miles away.
>>
>>> I didn't read it all as I am unqualified to assess its capabilities or
>>> limitations, nor do I presently need it as the win32 extensions do easily
>>> and well what I presently need to do.
>>>
>>> Hopefully it can inform us as to what is expected and doable in alternative
>>> languages which are dynamic like Smalltalk.
>>>
>>> Jimmie
>>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Popularity of Smalltalk in Software Industry

Stefan Marr-4

On 06 May 2011, at 10:30, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Igor
>
> We should face it: the FFI and Alien... are not that simple. Laurent spent time to try to cnnect to libs and it did
> not work. So we should really improve that aspect.
> Igor not everbody is able to code in assembler for nativeboost.
> So NB is probably a good insfrastructure but not ready for consumption for everybody.
> The interaction with C should be improved :)
>
> Stef

No, Stef, you didn't get it!
It is documentation which needs to be improved in the first place. Documentation and its presentation. You know another reason why people love PHP? It is an ugly and awful language, but absolutely everything you ever want to do is covered in the docs, because people actually add examples and comments.

And frankly, you book efforts are certainly interesting, but far from being as visible and as accessible as online docs of other languages. That's what Smalltalk sucks at, accessible online documentation. People do google when they have a problem. If it does not pop up on the first page, it does not exists.

My impression of Smalltalk documentation is, it is non-existing. I usually do not even care to google, because it is unlikely that I find something. Instead I ask people. (And if you look at the traffic on the mailing list, thats not just me)
That's a community issue, a problem of culture. I would never think about asking anyone if I have a problem with Python or PHP. I know everything is just a few google hits away.

Ah, and tooling of course...

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab

Re: Popularity of Smalltalk in Software Industry

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi stefan
I disagree with the C integration. This is still not really good in Pharo and I agree with Jimmie.
Now for the documentation when did you send an help documentation for any part of the system?
Or a bug fix?
I find quite funny that people always talk but few are doing. We welcome comments/examples help.

Stef

>> Igor
>>
>> We should face it: the FFI and Alien... are not that simple. Laurent spent time to try to cnnect to libs and it did
>> not work. So we should really improve that aspect.
>> Igor not everbody is able to code in assembler for nativeboost.
>> So NB is probably a good insfrastructure but not ready for consumption for everybody.
>> The interaction with C should be improved :)
>>
>> Stef
>
> No, Stef, you didn't get it!
> It is documentation which needs to be improved in the first place. Documentation and its presentation. You know another reason why people love PHP? It is an ugly and awful language, but absolutely everything you ever want to do is covered in the docs, because people actually add examples and comments.
>
> And frankly, you book efforts are certainly interesting, but far from being as visible and as accessible as online docs of other languages. That's what Smalltalk sucks at, accessible online documentation. People do google when they have a problem. If it does not pop up on the first page, it does not exists.
>
> My impression of Smalltalk documentation is, it is non-existing. I usually do not even care to google, because it is unlikely that I find something. Instead I ask people. (And if you look at the traffic on the mailing list, thats not just me)
> That's a community issue, a problem of culture. I would never think about asking anyone if I have a problem with Python or PHP. I know everything is just a few google hits away.
>
> Ah, and tooling of course...
>

> --
> Stefan Marr
> Software Languages Lab
> Vrije Universiteit Brussel
> Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
> http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
> Phone: +32 2 629 2974
> Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: Popularity of Smalltalk in Software Industry

Toon Verwaest-2
So what do you suggest?

On 05/06/2011 10:55 AM, Stefan Marr wrote:

> On 06 May 2011, at 10:30, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Igor
>>
>> We should face it: the FFI and Alien... are not that simple. Laurent spent time to try to cnnect to libs and it did
>> not work. So we should really improve that aspect.
>> Igor not everbody is able to code in assembler for nativeboost.
>> So NB is probably a good insfrastructure but not ready for consumption for everybody.
>> The interaction with C should be improved :)
>>
>> Stef
> No, Stef, you didn't get it!
> It is documentation which needs to be improved in the first place. Documentation and its presentation. You know another reason why people love PHP? It is an ugly and awful language, but absolutely everything you ever want to do is covered in the docs, because people actually add examples and comments.
>
> And frankly, you book efforts are certainly interesting, but far from being as visible and as accessible as online docs of other languages. That's what Smalltalk sucks at, accessible online documentation. People do google when they have a problem. If it does not pop up on the first page, it does not exists.
>
> My impression of Smalltalk documentation is, it is non-existing. I usually do not even care to google, because it is unlikely that I find something. Instead I ask people. (And if you look at the traffic on the mailing list, thats not just me)
> That's a community issue, a problem of culture. I would never think about asking anyone if I have a problem with Python or PHP. I know everything is just a few google hits away.
>
> Ah, and tooling of course...

Re: Popularity of Smalltalk in Software Industry

Toon Verwaest-2

> Now for the documentation when did you send an help documentation for any part of the system?
> Or a bug fix?
> I find quite funny that people always talk but few are doing. We welcome comments/examples help.
No need to get into a cat-fight here :)

I do agree with Stefan, as well as with you that we could help; but I'm
unaware of a good documentation effort outside of the image to start
with. Camillo's website project might be the best effort I've seen until
now; but then I didn't really look either. Maybe I missed some great
website?

Re: Popularity of Smalltalk in Software Industry

Stéphane Ducasse

>> Now for the documentation when did you send an help documentation for any part of the system?
>> Or a bug fix?
>> I find quite funny that people always talk but few are doing. We welcome comments/examples help.
> No need to get into a cat-fight here :)

No this is not my point. But what do people really do to help?

> I do agree with Stefan, as well as with you that we could help; but I'm unaware of a good documentation effort outside of the image to start with. Camillo's website project might be the best effort I've seen until now; but then I didn't really look either. Maybe I missed some great website?

If this is just to spit out class comment on html I do not call that a documentation.
Now we can take the book contents and generate html
We have 350 pages in the first book and the same in the second one.
People are free to join and write one or two chapters.

Re: Popularity of Smalltalk in Software Industry

Toon Verwaest-2

> If this is just to spit out class comment on html I do not call that a documentation.
> Now we can take the book contents and generate html
> We have 350 pages in the first book and the same in the second one.
> People are free to join and write one or two chapters.
Generating HTML already seems like a good idea. I like the HTML version
of SICP a lot for example.

Re: Popularity of Smalltalk in Software Industry

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 06 May 2011, at 11:17, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>>> Now for the documentation when did you send an help documentation for any part of the system?
>>> Or a bug fix?
>>> I find quite funny that people always talk but few are doing. We welcome comments/examples help.
>> No need to get into a cat-fight here :)
>
> No this is not my point. But what do people really do to help?
>
>> I do agree with Stefan, as well as with you that we could help; but I'm unaware of a good documentation effort outside of the image to start with. Camillo's website project might be the best effort I've seen until now; but then I didn't really look either. Maybe I missed some great website?
>
> If this is just to spit out class comment on html I do not call that a documentation.
> Now we can take the book contents and generate html
> We have 350 pages in the first book and the same in the second one.
> People are free to join and write one or two chapters.

Stéphane,

Of course you are right: wining/complaining doesn't help, only action does. We need more people like Laurent focusing on documentation.

I for one think that the well written, high quality books that exist (PBE, Seaside Book) are *very valuable*, much better than confusing wiki site (although these have their place as well).

But the other point is: in most other popular languages, what current, young developers do, when they get an error that they don't understand is copy/paste the literal text in Google and in a surprisingly large number of cases you find some real answers in the first page.

This is also related to popularity of course.

Sven

Re: Popularity of Smalltalk in Software Industry

SergeStinckwich
On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Toon Verwaest <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Now for the documentation when did you send an help documentation for any
>> part of the system?
>> Or a bug fix?
>> I find quite funny that people always talk but few are doing. We welcome
>> comments/examples help.
>
> No need to get into a cat-fight here :)
>
> I do agree with Stefan, as well as with you that we could help; but I'm
> unaware of a good documentation effort outside of the image to start with.
> Camillo's website project might be the best effort I've seen until now; but
> then I didn't really look either. Maybe I missed some great website?

You are welcome to join us on the documentation effort:
- Pharo by Example vol 1 and vol 2 & translations :
https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates
We are looking for more people to write chapters and translate them in
other languages.
- the collaboractive Pharo Book: http://book.pharo-project.org/
- participate to COTC (Comment Of The Day Contest) organized by
Laurent: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/CommentOfTheDayContest
in order to comments Pharo classes.

This is not enough for you ;-)

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Popularity of Smalltalk in Software Industry

Probably we should find a way to generate HTML from PDF or Latex.
Any ideas?

On 05/06/2011 11:30 AM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Toon Verwaest<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Now for the documentation when did you send an help documentation for any
>>> part of the system?
>>> Or a bug fix?
>>> I find quite funny that people always talk but few are doing. We welcome
>>> comments/examples help.
>> No need to get into a cat-fight here :)
>>
>> I do agree with Stefan, as well as with you that we could help; but I'm
>> unaware of a good documentation effort outside of the image to start with.
>> Camillo's website project might be the best effort I've seen until now; but
>> then I didn't really look either. Maybe I missed some great website?
> You are welcome to join us on the documentation effort:
> - Pharo by Example vol 1 and vol 2&  translations :
> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates
> We are looking for more people to write chapters and translate them in
> other languages.
> - the collaboractive Pharo Book: http://book.pharo-project.org/
> - participate to COTC (Comment Of The Day Contest) organized by
> Laurent: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/CommentOfTheDayContest
> in order to comments Pharo classes.
>
> This is not enough for you ;-)
>
> Regards,
Something like the Pharo book that would contain also explanation about
the language itself (and its libraries) would be great.
Something like "teach yourself scheme in fixnum days" for Smalltalk. I
loved the "teach yourself scheme in fixnum days".

Re: Popularity of Smalltalk in Software Industry

Stéphane Ducasse

>> Regards,
> Something like the Pharo book that would contain also explanation about the language itself (and its libraries) would be great.
> Something like "teach yourself scheme in fixnum days" for Smalltalk. I loved the "teach yourself scheme in fixnum days"

may be you should open the pdf of pharo by example......
or may be not

Re: Popularity of Smalltalk in Software Industry

Lorenzo
Great Stef!

Lorenzo

On 05/06/2011 11:40 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>> Regards,
>> Something like the Pharo book that would contain also explanation about the language itself (and its libraries) would be great.
>> Something like "teach yourself scheme in fixnum days" for Smalltalk. I loved the "teach yourself scheme in fixnum days"
> may be you should open the pdf of pharo by example......
> or may be not
>
> Stef
I meant the browsable html version. But ok, enough offense/defense for me.

Re: Popularity of Smalltalk in Software Industry

laurent laffont

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Probably we should find a way to generate HTML from PDF or Latex.
Any ideas?

I've used latex2html several years ago.

+1 for html

Laurent.

>>> No need to get into a cat-fight here :)
>>
>> No this is not my point. But what do people really do to help?
>>
>>> I do agree with Stefan, as well as with you that we could help; but I'm unaware of a good documentation effort outside of the image to start with. Camillo's website project might be the best effort I've seen until now; but then I didn't really look either. Maybe I missed some great website?
>>
>> If this is just to spit out class comment on html I do not call that a documentation.
>> Now we can take the book contents and generate html
>> We have 350 pages in the first book and the same in the second one.
>> People are free to join and write one or two chapters.
>
> Stéphane,
>
> Of course you are right: wining/complaining doesn't help, only action does. We need more people like Laurent focusing on documentation.
>
> I for one think that the well written, high quality books that exist (PBE, Seaside Book) are *very valuable*, much better than confusing wiki site (although these have their place as well).
>
> But the other point is: in most other popular languages, what current, young developers do, when they get an error that they don't understand is copy/paste the literal text in Google and in a surprisingly large number of cases you find some real answers in the first page.
>
> This is also related to popularity of course.
>
> Sven

Re: Popularity of Smalltalk in Software Industry

Stéphane Ducasse
Ok if some good souls want to give a try to generate html.

Stef

> Probably we should find a way to generate HTML from PDF or Latex.
> Any ideas?
>
> I've used latex2html several years ago.
>
> +1 for html
>
> Laurent.

> >> No this is not my point. But what do people really do to help?

> >> If this is just to spit out class comment on html I do not call that a documentation.
> >> Now we can take the book contents and generate html
> >> We have 350 pages in the first book and the same in the second one.
> >> People are free to join and write one or two chapters.
> >
> > Stéphane,
> >
> > Of course you are right: wining/complaining doesn't help, only action does. We need more people like Laurent focusing on documentation.
> >
> > I for one think that the well written, high quality books that exist (PBE, Seaside Book) are *very valuable*, much better than confusing wiki site (although these have their place as well).
> >
> > But the other point is: in most other popular languages, what current, young developers do, when they get an error that they don't understand is copy/paste the literal text in Google and in a surprisingly large number of cases you find some real answers in the first page.
> >
> > This is also related to popularity of course.
> >
> > Sven

Re: Popularity of Smalltalk in Software Industry

Nicolas Cellier
Guys, this is crazy, this is a runaway thread ;)
Please, please, a bit more empathy for newcomers would not hurt:
change the subject in such cases.
Welcome to Sourav, don't be afraid to ask this list for anything obscure.
and congratulations to Toon for initial answer.

Nicolas

2011/5/6 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Ok if some good souls want to give a try to generate html.
>
> Stef
>

>> Probably we should find a way to generate HTML from PDF or Latex.
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> I've used latex2html several years ago.
>>
>> +1 for html
>>
>> Laurent.

>> > Stéphane,
>> >
>> > Of course you are right: wining/complaining doesn't help, only action does. We need more people like Laurent focusing on documentation.
>> >
>> > I for one think that the well written, high quality books that exist (PBE, Seaside Book) are *very valuable*, much better than confusing wiki site (although these have their place as well).
>> >
>> > But the other point is: in most other popular languages, what current, young developers do, when they get an error that they don't understand is copy/paste the literal text in Google and in a surprisingly large number of cases you find some real answers in the first page.
>> >
>> > This is also related to popularity of course.
>> >
>> > Sven

Re: Popularity of Smalltalk in Software Industry

Stefan Marr-4
Sorry for the flam below. I didn't have the time and energy to rewrite it.

>>> Now for the documentation when did you send an help documentation for any part of the system?
>>> Or a bug fix?
>>> I find quite funny that people always talk but few are doing. We welcome comments/examples help.
No, I report things on the mailing list, and I complain here and there about the narrow-mindedness of Smalltalk-evangelists.
And when it comes to documentation, I document that RoarVM you might have heard of. If that is not interesting for you, sorry, we just don't share the same interests.

>> No need to get into a cat-fight here :)
>
> No this is not my point. But what do people really do to help?
Stef, if you haven't noticed: I don't care about Smalltalk, and I don't care about Pharo, or any other language out there in particular. I don't share your vision, I have other goals in life.

The only thing I do here is to point out the obvious (at least from my narrow-minded perspective).

> If this is just to spit out class comment on html I do not call that a documentation.
> Now we can take the book contents and generate html
> We have 350 pages in the first book and the same in the second one.
> People are free to join and write one or two chapters.

That's what I mean. From my perspective, books about programming languages are a wast of effort.
You need a good entry level book, that is all it takes.
The rest is great online documentation.

Unfortunately, Smalltalkers don't know anything outside the image...

I don't know how other people work, but I never look into books when I program. They just don't work.
They are slow, outdated and hard to search in.

Honestly, I don't understand why books are a priority for you when you want to develop a community.
You got a good entry level book, so what is the motivation to write another one?

As I said, that is obviously my point of view, based on the way my workflow works.

I prepare now Clojure assignments for my students, and there is also not a lot documentation out there, but all I need is centrally accessible at a place I easily identified with google.

There is exactly one important window on my screen:
http://clojure.github.com/clojure/clojure.core-api.html
Thanks to my browsers search, everything is there.
The Clojure book on my desk is just lying there and collecting dust...

Best regards
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
Phone: +32 2 629 2974
Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: Popularity of Smalltalk in Software Industry

Johan Brichau-2

On 06 May 2011, at 12:57, Stefan Marr wrote:

> Unfortunately, Smalltalkers don't know anything outside the image...

Exactly, and most of the time, it's all you need.
I remark a funny difference between developing in Smalltalk and developing in any other language (say, Java, Javascript, Objective-C, ...):

When I program in Smalltalk, I have a lot of open code browsers in my image
When I program in Java/Javascript/..., I have a lot of open web pages on my desktop

That surely does not invalidate the need for more and better documentation. The documentation for Alien I saw 2 years ago was just sad. But when you compare FFI and Alien with the DLLCC of Visualworks, Stef is *definitely* right too. I started out building a layer for Alien some time ago (in the context of JavaConnect for Pharo) but I eventually had to stop... (making a living takes time too).

Johan

On 06 May 2011, at 13:56, Johan Brichau wrote:

> When I program in Smalltalk, I have a lot of open code browsers in my image
> When I program in Java/Javascript/..., I have a lot of open web pages on my desktop

+1111

Browsing in a Smalltalk image should be self-documenting, not just because of comments, but because of beautiful, understandable code.

A Dan Ingalls quote from "Design Principles Behind Smalltalk" ( http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/smalltalk.html )

Just to get warmed up, I'll start with a principle that is more social than technical and that is largely responsible for the particular bias of the Smalltalk project:

        Personal Mastery: If a system is to serve the creative spirit, it must be entirely comprehensible to a single individual.

An excellent read, this document, by the way!

Sven

1234567