Porting BoucingAtomsMorph to Cuis

nacho
Hi,
Anyone attemped to port the classic "BouncingAtomsMorph" to Cuis?
I'm trying. But the first problem I've encountered is extent: and bounds are not implemented in Cuis Morph class. What do you suggest?
Thanks in advance
Nacho
Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: Porting BoucingAtomsMorph to Cuis

KenDickey
On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 12:17:19 -0700 (PDT)
nacho <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> Anyone attemped to port the classic "BouncingAtomsMorph" to Cuis?
> I'm trying. But the first problem I've encountered is extent: and bounds are
> not implemented in Cuis Morph class. What do you suggest?

Look at Cuis-Smalltalk-BabySteps/Animator.pck.st  [Feature require: #animator]

Check out method:
  Animator class >> simpleMoveBounceAction:

-KenD

-KenD

Re: Porting BoucingAtomsMorph to Cuis

KenDickey
Sorry,  should be:

 Feature require: #Animator

Note example4.

-KenD

-KenD

Re: Porting BoucingAtomsMorph to Cuis

nacho
When I install the package and try to run it it ask for a method not there:
startStepping:at:selector:arguments:StepTime:

Also the package Morphit.pck ask for a feature Morphic-Display-Pallet
I'm missing some .pck I guess....
Thanks in advance Ken.
Best
Nacho

Lic. Ignacio Sniechowski, MBA

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Ken Dickey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry,  should be:

 Feature require: #Animator

Note example4.

-KenD

Ahhh  I just don't get Morphic....seems so powerfull yet so poorly documented!.
Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: Porting BoucingAtomsMorph to Cuis

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Nacho,

On 4/14/2014 6:10 PM, Ignacio Sniechowski wrote:
When I install the package and try to run it it ask for a method not there:
startStepping:at:selector:arguments:StepTime:

For these kinds of problems, it might help to look at the receiver class for a similar selector. Many times you can just call some method that does the same. Alternatively, you can take a look at Squeak (or some other appropriate image) to see what does the missing method(s) do.

Also the package Morphit.pck ask for a feature Morphic-Display-Pallet
I'm missing some .pck I guess....

Same advice as before.

Thanks in advance Ken.
Best
Nacho

Lic. Ignacio Sniechowski, MBA

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 4/14/2014 6:28 PM, nacho wrote:
> Ahhh  I just don't get Morphic....seems so powerfull yet so poorly
> documented!.

Once you get used to study the stuff from inside, with browsers,
debuggers and inspectors; you won't miss documentation that much.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

> -----
> Nacho
> Smalltalker apprentice.
> Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: Porting BoucingAtomsMorph to Cuis

nacho
Juan,
I use that a lot, and the little I have advanced in understanding Morphic comes basically from that, and taking a look at others' examples. I know that to have something writen is the easy way and I guess that in the case of Cuis could make a lot of sense. Why? Basically because of the fundamental reason I chose Cuis over other Smalltalks: The core of the image is very stable and shouldn't change that much over time.

I've also use a lot Squeak, there's a lot of Morphic stuff written for it, but some of the stuff is very "version specific".

As I advance -little steps of course- I build little demos to test and try code (I even maintain them in a .pck.st). But there are times when I get stuck.
Again, in no way I'm not getting my hands dirty at trying, examining, changing and trying to figure out. For instance yesterday I spent nearly two hours reverse-engineering how the FileListBrowser is built. I learn a lot, but I'm far from fully understand it.
Also, don't get me wrong, when I said "...so poorly documented" I was not saying it in the context of Cuis only, more in general.
Thanks and best regards

On 20/04/2014 12:27 p.m., Ignacio Sniechowski wrote:
Juan,
I use that a lot, and the little I have advanced in understanding Morphic comes basically from that, and taking a look at others' examples. I know that to have something writen is the easy way and I guess that in the case of Cuis could make a lot of sense. Why? Basically because of the fundamental reason I chose Cuis over other Smalltalks: The core of the image is very stable and shouldn't change that much over time.

Sure, agreed.

I've also use a lot Squeak, there's a lot of Morphic stuff written for it, but some of the stuff is very "version specific".

As I advance -little steps of course- I build little demos to test and try code (I even maintain them in a .pck.st). But there are times when I get stuck.
Again, in no way I'm not getting my hands dirty at trying, examining, changing and trying to figure out. For instance yesterday I spent nearly two hours reverse-engineering how the FileListBrowser is built. I learn a lot, but I'm far from fully understand it.

When that happens, you can ask here for specifics. Maybe someone can help, and I'm sure useful discussion will arise.

Also, don't get me wrong, when I said "...so poorly documented" I was not saying it in the context of Cuis only, more in general.

I know. In any case, criticizing is totally ok. There are tons of things to work on and enhance in Cuis. Documentation and communication (like, PR) are really unattended and needed.