Porting GNU Smalltalk code to Pharo

mcandre
Can someone help me make QuickSmash Pharo-friendly? It's a unit test framework based on QuickCheck.

QuickSmash

Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker

Re: Porting GNU Smalltalk code to Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse
Andrew

First welcome :)
Second you should pay attention to the license of the code because GPL is not compatible with Smalltalk in general.
Third why quickMash is interesting because I could not get it.

Stef

On Aug 7, 2011, at 10:20 PM, Andrew Pennebaker wrote:

> Can someone help me make QuickSmash Pharo-friendly? It's a unit test framework based on QuickCheck.
>
> QuickSmash
> https://github.com/mcandre/quicksmash
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrew Pennebaker
> www.yellosoft.us

Re: Porting GNU Smalltalk code to Pharo

mcandre
1 - Thanks for welcoming me :)

2 - I generally use the FreeBSD license. In any case, QuickSmash has no license for now.

3 - QuickSmash is an interesting approach to unit testing.

The idea is to test "properties", which are lambdas in Lisp and closures in Smalltalk.

One property is a closure that accepts an integer and evaluates whether the integer is even. Call it "propEven".

Another property checks whether an encryption system works, by checking s = decrypt(encrypt(s)).

QuickSmash has a class method testProperty:withGenerators: that generates 100 test cases for the property. If a test case fails, QuickSmash stops checking and reports the values which fail to exhibit the property.

Example:

"Are all strings reversible?"
propReversible := [ :s | s = (s reverse) reverse].

QuickSmash testProperty: propReversible withGenerators: { [ QuickSmash genString. ] }.

If you install QuickSmash and evaluate the above code, you'll see the output:

+++ OK, passed 100 tests.

I'm only just familiar with GNU Smalltalk, but installing QuickSmash is fairly simple.

$ make

(The make command runs gst-package, which loads the package and saves the image).

Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Andrew

First welcome :)
Second you should pay attention to the license of the code because GPL is not compatible with Smalltalk in general.
Third why quickMash is interesting because I could not get it.

Stef

On Aug 7, 2011, at 10:20 PM, Andrew Pennebaker wrote:

> Can someone help me make QuickSmash Pharo-friendly? It's a unit test framework based on QuickCheck.
>
> QuickSmash
> https://github.com/mcandre/quicksmash
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrew Pennebaker
> www.yellosoft.us

Re: Porting GNU Smalltalk code to Pharo

Miguel Moquillon
I've used Quickcheck with programs in Haskell.
IMHA it is the great tool to test codes as we describe the properties of
the code to test in terms of invariants or conditional properties.
The tool then generates randomly 100 inputs to check the properties; we
can indicates the tool to generate more inputs. (We can also specify the
generator to use.)

Mig

Le 07/08/2011 22:43, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :

> Andrew
>
> First welcome :)
> Second you should pay attention to the license of the code because GPL is not compatible with Smalltalk in general.
> Third why quickMash is interesting because I could not get it.
>
> Stef
>
> On Aug 7, 2011, at 10:20 PM, Andrew Pennebaker wrote:
>
>> Can someone help me make QuickSmash Pharo-friendly? It's a unit test framework based on QuickCheck.
>>
>> QuickSmash
>> https://github.com/mcandre/quicksmash
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Andrew Pennebaker
>> www.yellosoft.us

Re: Porting GNU Smalltalk code to Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse
ok so it should not be difficult to reproduce in Smalltalk.

On Aug 8, 2011, at 9:27 AM, Miguel Moquillon wrote:

> I've used Quickcheck with programs in Haskell.
> IMHA it is the great tool to test codes as we describe the properties of the code to test in terms of invariants or conditional properties.
> The tool then generates randomly 100 inputs to check the properties; we can indicates the tool to generate more inputs. (We can also specify the generator to use.)
>
> Mig
>
> Le 07/08/2011 22:43, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
>> Andrew
>>
>> First welcome :)
>> Second you should pay attention to the license of the code because GPL is not compatible with Smalltalk in general.
>> Third why quickMash is interesting because I could not get it.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Aug 7, 2011, at 10:20 PM, Andrew Pennebaker wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone help me make QuickSmash Pharo-friendly? It's a unit test framework based on QuickCheck.
>>>
>>> QuickSmash
>>> https://github.com/mcandre/quicksmash
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Andrew Pennebaker
>>> www.yellosoft.us

Re: Porting GNU Smalltalk code to Pharo

Bernat Romagosa
I've just ported it, please check whether it works for you.

I don't quite like the code, but that's another issue... for instance, there are direct references to the class QuickSmash everywhere, instead of to self. Also, local variables are overused all the time when a single return statement would suffice.

Anyway, if it works I'm in for rewriting these pieces of not so cool code :)

Cheers,

--
Bernat Romagosa.

QuickSmash.st (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Porting GNU Smalltalk code to Pharo

Bernat Romagosa
So I see it does not work, I'm fixing it and sending it back in a while...

--
Bernat Romagosa.

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Porting GNU Smalltalk code to Pharo

Bernat Romagosa
Done :)

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

QuickSmash.st (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Porting GNU Smalltalk code to Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse
indeed it looks quite redemetary and gen* sucks
as if generate would cost more to write

Stef

On Aug 8, 2011, at 10:51 AM, Bernat Romagosa wrote:

> Done :)
>
> 2011/8/8 Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]>
> So I see it does not work, I'm fixing it and sending it back in a while...
>

> 2011/8/8 Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]>
> I've just ported it, please check whether it works for you.
>
> I don't quite like the code, but that's another issue... for instance, there are direct references to the class QuickSmash everywhere, instead of to self. Also, local variables are overused all the time when a single return statement would suffice.
>
> Anyway, if it works I'm in for rewriting these pieces of not so cool code :)
>
> Cheers,
>

> 2011/8/8 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> ok so it should not be difficult to reproduce in Smalltalk.
>
> On Aug 8, 2011, at 9:27 AM, Miguel Moquillon wrote:
>
> > I've used Quickcheck with programs in Haskell.
> > IMHA it is the great tool to test codes as we describe the properties of the code to test in terms of invariants or conditional properties.
> > The tool then generates randomly 100 inputs to check the properties; we can indicates the tool to generate more inputs. (We can also specify the generator to use.)
> >
> > Mig
> >
> > Le 07/08/2011 22:43, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
> >> Andrew
> >>
> >> First welcome :)
> >> Second you should pay attention to the license of the code because GPL is not compatible with Smalltalk in general.
> >> Third why quickMash is interesting because I could not get it.
> >>
> >> Stef

> --
> Bernat Romagosa.
>

> --
> Bernat Romagosa.
>

> --
> Bernat Romagosa.
> <QuickSmash.st>

Re: Porting GNU Smalltalk code to Pharo

mcandre
Bernat, I'm very new to Smalltalk, please forgive my code.

The latest version is more idiomatic.
https://github.com/mcandre/quicksmash

I see no reason for QuickSmash to use instance variables. The only necessary variable is "random", which is best initialized once. If you were to create a thousand QuickSmash instances all of a sudden, many would have the same random seed, so they would produce redundant test cases.

I would like to remove the "version" class variable. Does anyone know how to specify a version number in package.xml?

Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
indeed it looks quite redemetary and gen* sucks
as if generate would cost more to write

Stef

On Aug 8, 2011, at 10:51 AM, Bernat Romagosa wrote:

> Done :)
>
> 2011/8/8 Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]>
> So I see it does not work, I'm fixing it and sending it back in a while...
>

> 2011/8/8 Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]>
> I've just ported it, please check whether it works for you.
>
> I don't quite like the code, but that's another issue... for instance, there are direct references to the class QuickSmash everywhere, instead of to self. Also, local variables are overused all the time when a single return statement would suffice.
>
> Anyway, if it works I'm in for rewriting these pieces of not so cool code :)
>
> Cheers,
>

> 2011/8/8 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> ok so it should not be difficult to reproduce in Smalltalk.
>
> On Aug 8, 2011, at 9:27 AM, Miguel Moquillon wrote:
>
> > I've used Quickcheck with programs in Haskell.
> > IMHA it is the great tool to test codes as we describe the properties of the code to test in terms of invariants or conditional properties.
> > The tool then generates randomly 100 inputs to check the properties; we can indicates the tool to generate more inputs. (We can also specify the generator to use.)
> >
> > Mig
> >
> > Le 07/08/2011 22:43, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
> >> Andrew
> >>
> >> First welcome :)
> >> Second you should pay attention to the license of the code because GPL is not compatible with Smalltalk in general.
> >> Third why quickMash is interesting because I could not get it.
> >>
> >> Stef

> --
> Bernat Romagosa.
>

> --
> Bernat Romagosa.
>

> --
> Bernat Romagosa.
> <QuickSmash.st>

Re: Porting GNU Smalltalk code to Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Andrew Pennebaker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Bernat, I'm very new to Smalltalk, please forgive my code.

Please, don't ask for forgive. We are all here to learn :)

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Porting GNU Smalltalk code to Pharo

Bernat Romagosa
Yes that was meant to be constructive, sorry if it sounded otherwise! :(

I agree with you about the instance variables, if you're going to do it in Pharo you won't need the random variable either, check out the code I attached in a previous mail.

Cheers,

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Porting GNU Smalltalk code to Pharo

mcandre
Ah, thanks. Picking random elements is a hidden feature of many languages. Github updated.

Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker