Porting Lively Kernel into Seaside

Michael Ross-1
Hi,

I'm trying to get an idea of how much work would be involved in setting up
Lively Kernel (LK) to work in Seaside. (I've done a few webpages in Seaside
but have no experience enhancing Seaside code). LK is written in JavaScript,
so I imagine that the Scriptaculous package might serve as a starting model
for porting LK into Seaside, like storing the LK code as is done in the SULibrary class.
It's the Seaside linkage that puzzles me - I don't have a clue what's required here.
But I want to keep it simple, at least until the LK demo page is working.
So right now, when the demo page starts in the browser, I just want
Seaside to serve the LK javascript code to the browser and see what happens.

Any tips on how to proceed? what to modify? level of difficulty? Comments?

Thanks,

-Michael

Lively Kernel HomePage at Sun Labs
http://research.sun.com/projects/lively/
(best viewed with Safari)

Re: Porting Lively Kernel into Seaside

Randal L. Schwartz

Michael>  LK is written in JavaScript, so I imagine that the
Michael> Scriptaculous package might serve as a starting model for porting LK
Michael> into Seaside, like storing the LK code as is done in the SULibrary
Michael> class.

It might be closer to MOOTools, which I understand when mixed with
Seaside provides a transparent bidirectional proxy somehow.

Michael Lucas-Smith has more information on that.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Porting Lively Kernel into Seaside

Michael Lucas-Smith-3
Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Michael>  LK is written in JavaScript, so I imagine that the
> Michael> Scriptaculous package might serve as a starting model for porting LK
> Michael> into Seaside, like storing the LK code as is done in the SULibrary
> Michael> class.
>
> It might be closer to MOOTools, which I understand when mixed with
> Seaside provides a transparent bidirectional proxy somehow.
>
> Michael Lucas-Smith has more information on that.

Well, Lively is a bit different to the regular communications that are
done with Seaside. So you'd have to decide what it is you want to
transmit back and forth and how.

But, you can register any kind of callback you want in Seaside and
transmit any kind of data in those payloads. You can also make your own
WARequestHandler subclass to handle incoming requests if you want too.

Seaside is very pluggable that way.

Cheers,
Michael