Porting Seaside from Seaside 3.0 to Pharo 4.0

Porting Seaside from Seaside 3.0 to Pharo 4.0

Lorenzo
Porting Seaside from Seaside 3.0 to Pharo 4.0

Hi,

I have in Pharo 3.0 a Seaside 3.0 version on which I have done a lot of works; I would like to be able to port it into Pharo 4.0.

Can anyone tell me which is the best path for installing my old Seaside 3.0 version into Pharo 4.0?

Are the two versions compatible or have I to start from scratch?

Many thanks for your help.

Lorenzo Schiavina

Re: Porting Seaside from Seaside 3.0 to Pharo 4.0

Paul DeBruicker
You shouldn't have to do much, but how much depends on what you've done.  Do
you have a Metacello configuration to load your project into a new image?

Instructions for loading Seaside into Pharo are here:

https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside

The stable/released version of Seaside is 3.2.4. The change logs are
available on the side of the page here:
https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/wiki

You also might consider using a newer Pharo too as they're on 6.1 as the
stable/released version.

If you don't have a Metacello configuration the general steps are

1. Save your packages from your 3.0 image as mcz files somewhere you can
find them.
2. Download the version of Pharo you want to change to
3. Install Seaside using the instructions on github
4. Load your packages (search at forum.world.st if you hit any issues or
email this list)
5. Test your app.

Because it is hard to support old versions, if you can move to the most
recent stable release of both projects.

Let us know how it goes.

Paul

Lorenzo wrote

> Hi,
>
> I have in Pharo 3.0 a Seaside 3.0 version on which I have done a lot of
> works; I would like to be able to port it into Pharo 4.0.
> Can anyone tell me which is the best path for installing my old Seaside
> 3.0
> version into Pharo 4.0?
> Are the two versions compatible or have I to start from scratch?
>
> Many thanks for your help.
>
> Lorenzo Schiavina

Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Seaside-General-f86180.html

R: Porting Seaside from Seaside 3.0 to Pharo 4.0

Lorenzo
Hi Paul,

thank you very much for your fast answer; I will keep you informed.

Lorenzo

You shouldn't have to do much, but how much depends on what you've done.  Do you have a Metacello configuration to load your project into a new image?

Instructions for loading Seaside into Pharo are here:

https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside

The stable/released version of Seaside is 3.2.4. The change logs are available on the side of the page here:
https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/wiki

You also might consider using a newer Pharo too as they're on 6.1 as the stable/released version.

If you don't have a Metacello configuration the general steps are

1. Save your packages from your 3.0 image as mcz files somewhere you can find them.
2. Download the version of Pharo you want to change to 3. Install Seaside using the instructions on github 4. Load your packages (search at forum.world.st if you hit any issues or email this list) 5. Test your app.

Because it is hard to support old versions, if you can move to the most recent stable release of both projects.

Let us know how it goes.

Paul

Lorenzo wrote

> Hi,
>
> I have in Pharo 3.0 a Seaside 3.0 version on which I have done a lot
> of works; I would like to be able to port it into Pharo 4.0.
> Can anyone tell me which is the best path for installing my old
> Seaside
> 3.0
> version into Pharo 4.0?
> Are the two versions compatible or have I to start from scratch?
>
> Many thanks for your help.
>
> Lorenzo Schiavina

Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Seaside-General-f86180.html

R: Porting Seaside from Seaside 3.0 to Pharo 4.0

Lorenzo
Hi Paul,

thank you for your valuable help; I succeeded!

Lorenzo