Porting code from older versions

Gunnar Martinsen
I have written som programs in the freeware 2.1-version of Dolphin
Smalltalk. If I purcase the 4.0 DVE edition, what happens if I load a
2.1-package? Do the programs still work as expected? I'm particularly
concerned about all the GUI (model-presenter-view) stuff.

Gunnar Martinsen

Re: Porting code from older versions

Ian Bartholomew-6
Gunnar,

> I have written som programs in the freeware 2.1-version of Dolphin
> Smalltalk. If I purcase the 4.0 DVE edition, what happens if I load a
> 2.1-package? Do the programs still work as expected? I'm particularly
> concerned about all the GUI (model-presenter-view) stuff.

It might be a good idea to download one of the 30 day (?) trial versions
first, just to see what happens.

As a general rule though you shouldn't have too much problem. The
"difficult" bits, where a class has changed enough to prevent a saved binary
resource being reloaded, should be handled automatically by the binary
filing mechanism in the image, which means that you should always be able to
install the packages into the image.  You may subsequently get some errors
caused with selectors being changed (usually for clarity/consistency) or
where there has been an alteration to the functionality of a base class (the
way of specifying the trigger symbol in a AspectValue springs to mind) but I
can't recall anything major.

There's quite a few people here who have been around since version 0 so if
you do have any problems caused by the above then one of us should be able
to remember what changes are needed to work on the latest version.

Regards
    Ian