Porting from 2.8 to 3.0+

Ramon Leon-5
Anyone know any good resources, blog posts, or reads out there for
porting a Seaside 2.8 app to something more modern?  Interested in any
lessons learned to headaches to expect.  Figure it'd be easiest to go to
3.0 and then once stable to 3.1.

--
Ramon Leon

Re: Porting from 2.8 to 3.0+

EstebanLM
Hi,

I have a small experience: last week I was porting an app I made in 2008, and in fact the only problem I had was that WARenderCanvas was replaced by WAHtmlCanvas and that WAAnswerContinuation does not exist anymore (I still don’t know how to replace it: ESUG arrived and I ran out of free time).
But the application was working almost 99% without any change… except the external javascript libraries I used that do not exist anymore :)

Esteban

> On 6 Sep 2017, at 18:38, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Anyone know any good resources, blog posts, or reads out there for porting a Seaside 2.8 app to something more modern?  Interested in any lessons learned to headaches to expect.  Figure it'd be easiest to go to 3.0 and then once stable to 3.1.
>
> --
> Ramon Leon

Re: Porting from 2.8 to 3.0+

Philippe Marschall
On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 6:38 PM, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyone know any good resources, blog posts, or reads out there for porting a
> Seaside 2.8 app to something more modern?  Interested in any lessons learned
> to headaches to expect.  Figure it'd be easiest to go to 3.0 and then once
> stable to 3.1.

Here are the changelogs for 3.1 [1] and 3.2 [2]. Unfortunately we do
not have a changelog for 3.0 :-(

Some of the most breaking changes that come to mind are:

- we don't support #isolate: anymore :-(, you'll have to emulate that
with untracked session/component state
- we don't support setting the timeout for sessions anymore, you'll
have to write a custom session cache for this or register a second
Seaside application
- the Seaside configuration API that is all new

You likely will have to migrate to a new version of whatever dialect
your on, how many headaches that introduces is hard to tell.

The Seaside code has been broken up into multiple modules so you no
longer need to load anything. However that makes loading a bit
trickier. Later versions of Seaside have better Metacello
configurations so maybe you want to switch to those directly.

 [1] https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/wiki/Seaside310Changelog
 [2] https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/wiki/Seaside320Changelog

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Porting from 2.8 to 3.0+

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 06/09/17 18:38, Ramon Leon wrote:
> Anyone know any good resources, blog posts, or reads out there for
> porting a Seaside 2.8 app to something more modern?  Interested in any
> lessons learned to headaches to expect.  Figure it'd be easiest to go to
> 3.0 and then once stable to 3.1.

There is really no reason to not go to the latest stable 3 release directly.

I'd make a list of all selectors used in your application, and compare
that to a list of available selectors in your modern seaside image.
That will allow you to identify things that were removed/deprecated.

Stephan

Re: Porting from 2.8 to 3.0+

Paul DeBruicker
On the seaside site is this information:

http://seaside.st/documentation/migration/28to30

Ramon Leon-5 wrote

> Anyone know any good resources, blog posts, or reads out there for
> porting a Seaside 2.8 app to something more modern?  Interested in any
> lessons learned to headaches to expect.  Figure it'd be easiest to go to
> 3.0 and then once stable to 3.1.
>
> --
> Ramon Leon

Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Seaside-General-f86180.html

Re: Porting from 2.8 to 3.0+

Ramon Leon-5
On 09/07/2017 02:23 PM, Paul DeBruicker wrote:
> On the seaside site is this information:
>
> http://seaside.st/documentation/migration/28to30
Thank you sir, exactly what I was looking for.

--
Ramon Leon