Porting from GUI 4.0 -> 2.1

Jeffrey Odell-2
I had a recent request to port the SUnit Browser
(http://www.odellsoft.com/sunitbrowser) from Dolphin 4.0 to the free version
of Dolphin 2.1.  Having been a late convert to Dolphin, can anyone comment
in a general sense whether this port will be difficult?

The SUnit Browser has a model that executes the functionality of the
browser.  This model has no GUI dependencies and it ports pretty easily - I
used SIF to port it from VisualAge.  However, the GUI part is unique to each
platform.  So the real question becomes whether I can back port the GUI from
4.0 to 2.1 or whether it is essentially a do-over on the GUI.

Thanks in advance for any advice -

jlo

Re: Porting from GUI 4.0 -> 2.1

Bill Schwab-2
Jeffrey,

> I had a recent request to port the SUnit Browser
> (http://www.odellsoft.com/sunitbrowser) from Dolphin 4.0 to the free
version
> of Dolphin 2.1.  Having been a late convert to Dolphin, can anyone comment
> in a general sense whether this port will be difficult?
>
> The SUnit Browser has a model that executes the functionality of the
> browser.  This model has no GUI dependencies and it ports pretty easily -
> used SIF to port it from VisualAge.  However, the GUI part is unique to
each
> platform.  So the real question becomes whether I can back port the GUI
from
> 4.0 to 2.1 or whether it is essentially a do-over on the GUI.

ListModel and ChoicePresenter have improved significantly in their support
for identity vs. equality.  There will no doubt be other snags due to things
that have been long-since fixed.

I'll admit that there's a part of me that would quote an hourly rate for the
effort :)   D4 is a great product, and very affordable, especially at the
low end.  Having better third-party support for D4 than the free version
might encourage some folks to pony up, which is good for OA and therefore
for all of us.  Just my $0.02 on the subject, and not at all meant to tell
you what to do.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Porting from GUI 4.0 -> 2.1

Jeffrey Odell-2
I too had second thoughts about the port, but it was a request from a
university in Uruguay that was using Dolphin Smalltalk 2.1 for a class.
Prior to that request, I had no intention of looking at 2.1.  Since it meant
introducing more folks to Smalltalk, I felt it might be worthwhile if it
wasn't too great an effort.  Perhaps Andy or Blair will want the contact
that e-mailed the request to me as they might offer them an educational
deal.

As far as the value and affordability of 4.0, I agree wholeheartedly!

jlo

"Bill Schwab" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:9lgbaa$9bcb0$[hidden email]...
> Jeffrey,
>
> > I had a recent request to port the SUnit Browser
> > (http://www.odellsoft.com/sunitbrowser) from Dolphin 4.0 to the free
> version
> > of Dolphin 2.1.  Having been a late convert to Dolphin, can anyone
comment
> > in a general sense whether this port will be difficult?
> >
> > The SUnit Browser has a model that executes the functionality of the
> > browser.  This model has no GUI dependencies and it ports pretty
easily -
> > used SIF to port it from VisualAge.  However, the GUI part is unique to
> each
> > platform.  So the real question becomes whether I can back port the GUI
> from
> > 4.0 to 2.1 or whether it is essentially a do-over on the GUI.
>
> ListModel and ChoicePresenter have improved significantly in their support
> for identity vs. equality.  There will no doubt be other snags due to
things
> that have been long-since fixed.
>
> I'll admit that there's a part of me that would quote an hourly rate for
the

> effort :)   D4 is a great product, and very affordable, especially at the
> low end.  Having better third-party support for D4 than the free version
> might encourage some folks to pony up, which is good for OA and therefore
> for all of us.  Just my $0.02 on the subject, and not at all meant to tell
> you what to do.
>
> Have a good one,
>
> Bill
>
> --
> Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Porting from GUI 4.0 -> 2.1

Bill Schwab-2
Jeffrey,

> I too had second thoughts about the port, but it was a request from a
> university in Uruguay that was using Dolphin Smalltalk 2.1 for a class.

That's getting to be a pretty good reason to do it; but, it might also be an
excellent project for a graduate student (if they have a grad school) or
even a couple of motivated students in the class.  You might simply file out
the code and leave the details to them.

> Prior to that request, I had no intention of looking at 2.1.  Since it
meant
> introducing more folks to Smalltalk, I felt it might be worthwhile if it
> wasn't too great an effort.  Perhaps Andy or Blair will want the contact
> that e-mailed the request to me as they might offer them an educational
> deal.

The deal (unless I found an obsolete page) is:

   http://www.object-arts.com/EducationalPricing.htm

AFAIK, this is not linked - I remembered there was a page describing it and
guessed the URL.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Porting from GUI 4.0 -> 2.1

Andy Bower
Bill,

> The deal (unless I found an obsolete page) is:
>
>    http://www.object-arts.com/EducationalPricing.htm
>
> AFAIK, this is not linked - I remembered there was a page describing it
and
> guessed the URL.

We are no longer offering this Educational Pricing deal. This link (although
the page is still present) shouldn't be referenced from  anywhere. Existing
registrations under the educational scheme are still valid, however.

Best Regards

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com/Support.htm