Porting to VSE

Lorenzo
Porting to VSE

Hi,

I am an old Smalltalker and I am still using VSE (because I developed a lot of applications with PARTS).

I would like to know if any of you have ever made a Seaside porting to VSE or is so kind to give me some advice.

Thank you!

Lorenzo

Re: Porting to VSE

Philippe Marschall
On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Lorenzo Schiavina <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am an old Smalltalker and I am still using VSE (because I developed a lot
> of applications with PARTS).
>
> I would like to know if any of you have ever made a Seaside porting to VSE
> or is so kind to give me some advice.

I am not aware of any port, I remember an occasional talk but not any
actual ports. If you want to try your hand and porting it yourself I
can certainly give you a few pointers to get you started. The easiest
of course is if you attend ESGU, which you should do anyway because
it's a great conference and a great experience. :-)

Cheers
Philippe

R: Porting to VSE

Lorenzo
Hi Philippe,

nice hearing you!
Sure I would like to try!
I will appreciate any suggestion you would give to me.
As far as ESUG is concerned, I am a bit perplexed because they are going to the future (correctly!) and not toward the past.
At present, for Internet connection I am using WinInet DLL, that is not bad but I do appreciate Seaside and I would like to port to my old Smalltalk.
Of course, I use Pharo for my new application but my core work in VSE.
The field on which I am working now is Expert Systems.
If you are interested, please look at my site (unfortunately in Italian) and you will see that I have developed some interesting applications.
 http://www.edor.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30&Itemid=65

Please, tell me your opinion on my project.

Grazie

Lorenzo

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Lorenzo Schiavina <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am an old Smalltalker and I am still using VSE (because I developed
> a lot of applications with PARTS).
>
> I would like to know if any of you have ever made a Seaside porting to
> VSE or is so kind to give me some advice.

I am not aware of any port, I remember an occasional talk but not any actual ports. If you want to try your hand and porting it yourself I can certainly give you a few pointers to get you started. The easiest of course is if you attend ESGU, which you should do anyway because it's a great conference and a great experience. :-)

Cheers
Philippe

Re: R: Porting to VSE

Philippe Marschall
On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 12:48 PM, Lorenzo Schiavina <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Philippe,
>
> nice hearing you!
> Sure I would like to try!
> I will appreciate any suggestion you would give to me.
> As far as ESUG is concerned, I am a bit perplexed because they are going to the future (correctly!) and not toward the past.

ESUG is about meeting people.

> At present, for Internet connection I am using WinInet DLL, that is not bad but I do appreciate Seaside and I would like to port to my old Smalltalk.

I think it's best to start with Grease. Load Grease-Core and
Grease-Tests-Core, implement Grease-VSE-Core and get the tests
running.

Packages ending with -Core or no dialect in the name are supposed to
be portable, packages ending with -Dialect (e.g. -Squeak or Pharo)
you'll need to reimplement.

Ideally you implement full Monticello, Metacello and FileTree support
however to get started you can simply extract the chunk file from the
mcz (which is just a ZIP file).
While we like to think the code is portable it is to my knowledge only
really exercised on modern somewhat ANSI-like systems. Unfortunately
unprotable expectations will eventually creep in, one such example was
exception behaviour. Another example is I don't even know how SUnit on
VSE compares to our implicit expectations.

> Of course, I use Pharo for my new application but my core work in VSE.
> The field on which I am working now is Expert Systems.
> If you are interested, please look at my site (unfortunately in Italian) and you will see that I have developed some interesting applications.
>  http://www.edor.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30&Itemid=65

I'm afraid my Italian is on the level of Aldo Raine's.

Cheers
Philippe

R: R: Porting to VSE

Lorenzo
Hi Philippe,

I am afraid my English is at the same level of your Italian!
I do love ESUG; I helped organizing it in Brescia two times, but what I do love is the possibility to get in touch with people (like you) willing to help!
I will do as you suggest and I will keep you informed!

Grazie tante! (Thank you very much!)

Lorenzo