Porting to a MAC

Ian Bartholomew-23
Hi All.  I'm a long time (25+ years) Smalltalk user, but only 3 days using
Pharo so I'm still stumbling around a bit (lot).

I have an app that I need to run on Windows and a Mac (possibly Linux at a
later date).  I've ported the code over from Dolphin and got it working
using Pharo 3.0 on my Windows box.  I am just going to set the app
running, save the image and then send the whole Pharo folder over to the
Windows user - that will work won't it?

The problem is the Mac user.  As I can't set up the Mac image in the same
way (I have no access to a Mac box) I was wondering if I could just
replace the changes,sources and image files in the Mac download with the
ones I've set up for Windows and send that to him.  Would that work or do
I need to send him file outs of my code and talk him through install and
set-up.

Thanks

Re: Porting to a MAC

kilon.alios
no you should be fine, changes is OS-independent and so is the image, but you need the mac zip for all the other files, dynamic linked libraries and of course the executable binary. By the way you can install macos on windows via hackintosh and a VM like virtualbox so you can test this for yourself. You can even dual boot with windows and macos.

An alternative which makes it very easy to install is via configuration browser, its a bit more work on your side as the developer but it is super easy for the user, the user can download pharo from the pharo website, open it , open world menu, go to tools, open configuration browser and click install on your project. But this way you will make it available for all pharoers which is something you may not want.

On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 8:45 PM, Ian Bartholomew <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

garduino
Hi Ian:

I know very well you (at least by the code that was very helpful to me on Dolphin!). Thanks for such contributions to the community!

And yes, the image, changes and source are interchangeable between operating systems with no problems.

Re: Porting to a MAC

Ian Bartholomew-23
Thanks to you both for the confirmation about using the Windows files, it
will make things a lot simpler.

Given the situation I imagine there are a number of ex Dolphin users
floating about here - Hi All.  I noticed the, sadly, late Bill Schwab
posted here sometimes, and he was once as much a committed a Dolphin user
as I was.  I shall continue using Dolphin though, the ability to create
Windows executables is too useful to give up.

My only problem now is that as I ported my app from Dolphin to Pharo I
made some significant changes - so now I've got to port it back the other
way!

Re: Porting to a MAC

stepharo

On 2/11/14 19:45, Ian Bartholomew wrote:
> Hi All.  I'm a long time (25+ years) Smalltalk user, but only 3 days using
> Pharo

Welcome!
> so I'm still stumbling around a bit (lot).
You will get there :)

> I have an app that I need to run on Windows and a Mac (possibly Linux at a
> later date).  I've ported the code over from Dolphin and got it working
> using Pharo 3.0 on my Windows box.  I am just going to set the app
> running, save the image and then send the whole Pharo folder over to the
> Windows user - that will work won't it?

Yes why it would not :)
> The problem is the Mac user.  As I can't set up the Mac image in the same
> way (I have no access to a Mac box) I was wondering if I could just
> replace the changes,sources and image files in the Mac download with the
> ones I've set up for Windows and send that to him.
Yes it should work. You can also ask us to try on our macs.

> Would that work or do I need to send him file outs of my code and talk him through install and
> set-up.
You can use the one-click setup?

Re: Porting to a MAC

stepharo

> Thanks to you both for the confirmation about using the Windows files, it
> will make things a lot simpler.
>
> Given the situation I imagine there are a number of ex Dolphin users
> floating about here - Hi All.  I noticed the, sadly, late Bill Schwab
> posted here sometimes, and he was once as much a committed a Dolphin user
> as I was.  I shall continue using Dolphin though, the ability to create
> Windows executables is too useful to give up.
I imagine.

> My only problem now is that as I ported my app from Dolphin to Pharo I
> made some significant changes - so now I've got to port it back the other
> way!

Re: Porting to a MAC

kilon.alios

 I shall continue using Dolphin though, the ability to create
Windows executables is too useful to give up.

whats the difference with ziping the pharo folder and sending it to your user ? you can rename both the folder and then exe file., change the icon etc. And Pharo does not even need install.

Re: Porting to a MAC

garduino
Ian Bartholomew-23 wrote
Thanks to you both for the confirmation about using the Windows files, it
will make things a lot simpler.

Given the situation I imagine there are a number of ex Dolphin users
floating about here - Hi All.  I noticed the, sadly, late Bill Schwab
posted here sometimes, and he was once as much a committed a Dolphin user
as I was.  I shall continue using Dolphin though, the ability to create
Windows executables is too useful to give up.
Yes, it was a sad news of Bill's death, I read the list of Dolphin.

About Dolphin, well, as you point, the ability to generate an exe and some other features more of the side of publishing a commercial app, make hard to abandon it (also the UI builder).

My password manager PasswordsPro is still in Dolphin and will stay there for some time yet ...

Re: Porting to a MAC

stepharo

> Yes, it was a sad news of Bill's death, I read the list of Dolphin.

yes sad!

> About Dolphin, well, as you point, the ability to generate an exe and some
> other features more of the side of publishing a commercial app, make hard to
> abandon it (also the UI builder).

Yes we would love to have the same facilities.
This is why we worked on Fuel because we would like to have a better
deployement (but this is orthogonal to deliver dll).
We would love people to work on that.
> My password manager PasswordsPro is still in Dolphin and will stay there for
> some time yet ...

Re: Porting to a MAC

garduino
stepharo wrote
> About Dolphin, well, as you point, the ability to generate an exe and some
> other features more of the side of publishing a commercial app, make hard to
> abandon it (also the UI builder).

Yes we would love to have the same facilities.
This is why we worked on Fuel because we would like to have a better
deployement (but this is orthogonal to deliver dll).
We would love people to work on that.
Even when Dolphin can generate dll's, to my point of view is more important the
capacity of generate a standalone executable (for Windows operating systems) and
the ability of behave as a native application (multiple windows for example).