Possibility to save in a file the content of a playground

Possibility to save in a file the content of a playground

abergel
Hi!

The favorite programming environments of biologists, mathematicians and physicians, are R, matlab, maple, Octave. All of them allow for saving and loading the content of a workspace. Would it be possible to have this in a playground? As you can imagine, I am not encouraging this practice at all. But it may help attracting them to Pharo.

Is this feasible? I can work on this if you guys are okay.

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Possibility to save in a file the content of a playground

SergeStinckwich
On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 12:48 AM, Alexandre Bergel
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The favorite programming environments of biologists, mathematicians and
> physicians, are R, matlab, maple, Octave. All of them allow for saving and
> playground? As you can imagine, I am not encouraging this practice at all.
> But it may help attracting them to Pharo.

Yes, I agree this is a first step to attract these guys to Pharo :-)
They are used to write script in R or matlab.

One biologist from IRD told me recently that is why scripting
languages are better than GUI tools in their context, because
this allows more reproducible research.

Some ideas to attract more attention to Pharo for Science:
- contribute to SciSmalltalk: https://github.com/SergeStinckwich/SciSmalltalk
We are looking for statistical functions.

- adapt some R or Python open books to Pharo :
   http://camdavidsonpilon.github.io/Probabilistic-Programming-and-Bayesian-Methods-for-Hackers/
   http://www.medepi.net/docs/EpidemiologyUsingR.pdf

- having notebooks for Pharo like the one of iPython:
http://ipython.org/notebook.html
You can reuse the iPython infrastructure.
Some people already have done that for Ruby:
https://github.com/SciRuby/sciruby/wiki/GSOC-2014:-Ruby-Notebook
You have to implement in 0MQ message protocol:
http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/development/messaging.html
Maybe a future gsoc for Pharo ?

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)

Re: Possibility to save in a file the content of a playground

Offray
Hi,

I would say that a way to attract Sci people to Pharo using playgrounds
would be with a outliner like interface for organizing them as a way to
make exploratory reproducible computing (which is what most people on
Science is trying to do. I have argued about it for the IPython case
here. The main argument is this:

"""
I think that complex (scientific) interactive documents which "emerge"
from exploration need a tree interface for progressive structuration
"""

the full argument can be read here:

http://mutabit.com/mutabit/default/wiki/ipython-deepness

I'm trying to argue this also by writing code, using the Moose browsers
for mockups, but being a newbie I'm stock pretty quickly with stuff I
don't understand properly.

Any way I plan to help with this and prototype some ideas about how to
empower visual data narratives (open/citizen/garage science and
journalism) by using Pharo and playgrounds.

Cheers,

Offray