Possible moving from VW to Pharo

Bart Veenstra
Hi,

I have been looking into gemstone and it will definitly be a good fit
with my projects. How ever, there are no connectors available in VW to
use Glass.

So I want to give it a go with Pharo to see if i can get my VW code
into Pharo. There is a Monticello bundle for VW, but somehow that
refuses to work properly. Wierld errors about resources that coult not
be found. Than I tried to file out my projects into smalltalk chunks,
but those are only VW compatible (namespaces and such..)

Could any one point me in the right direction for getting my projects
from VW into Pharo? It would kill me to Copy Paste the whole thing
(there is already quite some code)...

Regards,

Bart

Re: Possible moving from VW to Pharo

Holger Kleinsorgen-4
> So I want to give it a go with Pharo to see if i can get my VW code
> into Pharo. There is a Monticello bundle for VW, but somehow that
> refuses to work properly. Wierld errors about resources that coult not
> be found. Than I tried to file out my projects into smalltalk chunks,
> but those are only VW compatible (namespaces and such..)
>
> Could any one point me in the right direction for getting my projects
> from VW into Pharo? It would kill me to Copy Paste the whole thing
> (there is already quite some code)...

IMHO using the Monticello tools is the most convenient way. File-in/out
is usually a big mess. You will probably need to tweak your VW code
first before porting, and maybe tweak the Monticello tools for your needs.
But once you've managed to use them, life gets easy, and porting is a
matter of seconds.

Re: Possible moving from VW to Pharo

Bart Veenstra
Thanks for the replies.

What are your experiences moving from VW to Pharo? I am used to switch
quite a lot, because at work we do VAST, at home VW and now Pharo.
Will pharo get the needed multi window solution like Vast and VW as
talked about in previous discussions? I like the OS integration in
VAST and VW. Hopefully, Pharo is moving there as well :)

Regards,

Bart Veenstra

2010/9/23 Holger Kleinsorgen <[hidden email]>:

>> So I want to give it a go with Pharo to see if i can get my VW code
>> into Pharo. There is a Monticello bundle for VW, but somehow that
>> refuses to work properly. Wierld errors about resources that coult not
>> be found. Than I tried to file out my projects into smalltalk chunks,
>> but those are only VW compatible (namespaces and such..)
>>
>> Could any one point me in the right direction for getting my projects
>> from VW into Pharo? It would kill me to Copy Paste the whole thing
>> (there is already quite some code)...
>
> IMHO using the Monticello tools is the most convenient way. File-in/out is
> usually a big mess. You will probably need to tweak your VW code first
> before porting, and maybe tweak the Monticello tools for your needs.
> But once you've managed to use them, life gets easy, and porting is a matter
> of seconds.

Re: Possible moving from VW to Pharo

jgfoster
Bart,

Jade (http://seaside.gemstone.com/jade/Jade.zip) has some capabilities for importing code from a VW file-out (XML format) into GemStone. If you want to try that let me know (basically, open the file in a workspace, select all, and then select the menu option for 'File In').

James

On Sep 23, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Bart Veenstra wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been looking into gemstone and it will definitly be a good fit
> with my projects. How ever, there are no connectors available in VW to
> use Glass.
>
> So I want to give it a go with Pharo to see if i can get my VW code
> into Pharo. There is a Monticello bundle for VW, but somehow that
> refuses to work properly. Wierld errors about resources that coult not
> be found. Than I tried to file out my projects into smalltalk chunks,
> but those are only VW compatible (namespaces and such..)
>
> Could any one point me in the right direction for getting my projects
> from VW into Pharo? It would kill me to Copy Paste the whole thing
> (there is already quite some code)...
>

> Regards,
>
> Bart

Re: Possible moving from VW to Pharo

Denis Kudriashov

be found. Than I tried to file out my projects into smalltalk chunks,
but those are only VW compatible (namespaces and such..)

There is option in Settings that can turn on standart smalltalk file out format

Re: Possible moving from VW to Pharo

Johan Brichau-2

On 23 Sep 2010, at 23:07, Denis Kudriashov wrote:

be found. Than I tried to file out my projects into smalltalk chunks,
but those are only VW compatible (namespaces and such..)

There is option in Settings that can turn on standart smalltalk file out format

Does that work for you?
I just tried doing that and importing the file into Pharo just gives me a list of 'do-its', which are completely not adding code to the codebase.

Johan

Re: Possible moving from VW to Pharo

James Robertson-7
If you want to have code that ports between VW and Squeak/Pharo, you might want to look at the Monticello interface that Michael created.  It's how we bring Seaside code into Cincom Smalltalk, and how we export proposed changes/fixes back to the Seaside team.

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On Sep 25, 2010, at 8:00 AM, Johan Brichau wrote:

On 23 Sep 2010, at 23:07, Denis Kudriashov wrote:

be found. Than I tried to file out my projects into smalltalk chunks,
but those are only VW compatible (namespaces and such..)

There is option in Settings that can turn on standart smalltalk file out format

Does that work for you?
I just tried doing that and importing the file into Pharo just gives me a list of 'do-its', which are completely not adding code to the codebase.

Johan

Re: Possible moving from VW to Pharo

Bart Veenstra
Hi James,

How do you work with namespaces in Monticello for VW? In VW all
seaside classes are in de Seaside namespace. But Pharo does not
support namespaces. Would it be a good idea to remove all namespaces
in my VW folder so the exports are easier between Pharo and VW?

Regards,

Bart

2010/9/25 James Robertson <[hidden email]>:

> If you want to have code that ports between VW and Squeak/Pharo, you might
> want to look at the Monticello interface that Michael created.  It's how we
> bring Seaside code into Cincom Smalltalk, and how we export proposed
> changes/fixes back to the Seaside team.
>
> James Robertson
> Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
> Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library
>

> On Sep 25, 2010, at 8:00 AM, Johan Brichau wrote:
>
> On 23 Sep 2010, at 23:07, Denis Kudriashov wrote:
>>
>> be found. Than I tried to file out my projects into smalltalk chunks,
>> but those are only VW compatible (namespaces and such..)
>>

> There is option in Settings that can turn on standart smalltalk file out
> format
>
> Does that work for you?
> I just tried doing that and importing the file into Pharo just gives me a
> list of 'do-its', which are completely not adding code to the codebase.
> Johan

Re: Possible moving from VW to Pharo

Johan Brichau-2
Hi James,

That indeed works much better. However, it's not useful to export only a change-set instead of the complete package (or maybe I'm missing a possibility?).
To export change-sets from VW into Squeak/Pharo, I'm currently using the FileOut30 package.

ps: Just a quibble with monticello in VW7.7: publishing on a repository also brings up the publish to store dialog, which causes confusion and erroneous publishes to the store...

On 25 Sep 2010, at 15:34, James Robertson wrote:

[...]

Alan Knight-2
People seem to be talking about a lot of different alternatives here without making it clear which one they mean. The simplest ones that I'm aware of are, from the VisualWorks end
   - FileOut30  - confusingly named, but gives the option to file code out in Squeak format, and will do some trivial transformations for portability.
   - Monticello-Tools - allows synchronizing Store and Monticello databases, and is nicely summarized in Holger Kleinsorgen's earlier message on porting.

I'd guess that the second is the preferred option. Especially since the original question was not really about porting to Pharo, but to GLASS, and assuming that porting to Pharo was a prerequisite. I suspect that Monticello-Tools would allow you to emit mcz files which Gemstone will read (subject to the usual portability constraints).

At 09:48 AM 2010-09-25, Johan Brichau wrote:
[...]

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Re: Possible moving from VW to Pharo

Bart Veenstra
Did you use namespaces?

2010/9/25 Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>:

> I port this way project from VW7.6 to squeak/pharo
>
> 2010/9/25 Johan Brichau <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On 23 Sep 2010, at 23:07, Denis Kudriashov wrote:
>>>
>>> be found. Than I tried to file out my projects into smalltalk chunks,
>>> but those are only VW compatible (namespaces and such..)
>>>

>> There is option in Settings that can turn on standart smalltalk file out
>> format
>>
>> Does that work for you?
>> I just tried doing that and importing the file into Pharo just gives me a
>> list of 'do-its', which are completely not adding code to the codebase.
>> Johan

Re: Possible moving from VW to Pharo

Denis Kudriashov
Yes, after importing .st file I remove in it all namespace prefixes (by simple notepad app)

2010/9/25 Bart Veenstra <[hidden email]>
Did you use namespaces?

2010/9/25 Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>:
> I port this way project from VW7.6 to squeak/pharo
>
> 2010/9/25 Johan Brichau <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On 23 Sep 2010, at 23:07, Denis Kudriashov wrote:
>>>
>>> be found. Than I tried to file out my projects into smalltalk chunks,
>>> but those are only VW compatible (namespaces and such..)
>>>

>> There is option in Settings that can turn on standart smalltalk file out
>> format
>>
>> Does that work for you?
>> I just tried doing that and importing the file into Pharo just gives me a
>> list of 'do-its', which are completely not adding code to the codebase.
>> Johan

Re: Possible moving from VW to Pharo

Denis Kudriashov
Sorry, I not remember exactly.
Maybe I used FileOut30 for getting .st file from package.