Possible talk in Smalltalks 2013

garduino
Hi Guys:

I'm not sure yet if I will trip travel to Smalltalk conference in Rosario, Argentina, but anyway I'm preparing a talk named "Getting Started wiht Cuis".

My idea is show Cuis to teachers and students and fellow smalltalkers present in the conference and it's main features and advantages.

In such sense I would ask for any suggestion that you may have about things to comment and demonstrate (apart of the obvious ones).

One question to ask right now is we already have a defined logo as the official Cuis Logo?

Any hint or comment is more than welcome!

--
Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino

Re: Possible talk in Smalltalks 2013

KenDickey
On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 11:36:36 -0300
Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> .. I would ask for any suggestion that you may have about things
> to comment and demonstrate (apart of the obvious ones).

I am only going to suggest the obvious ones: you don't lose code; recovery is easy; hyper-portable.

As part of a Smalltalk demo I usually do something the breaks, show that the debugger lets me see the stack, fix/write the broken method, then continue (re-execute & proceed) -- without unwinding the stack.

Note the "hangnail" story on my web page.  Most programming languages shoot the hangnail and send a message "have another kid" (process).  Smalltalk lets you trim the hangnail.

So Smalltalk lets one find an fix problems fast.  I learn from mistakes.  The more mistakes I can make, quickly, the faster I can learn.  Smalltalk lets me learn faster.

The other super cool thing is to be doing the demo, save the image (e.g. on a PC) transfer it to another maching (say a Mac) and resume with the same screen state -- pixel per pixel -- to deliver the message of what "portable" really means.  Not just a re-compile.

Some smalltalk objects have been around since the 80's.  That's a long life.

So Smalltalk is a different way of thinking about computing that is welcoming and supports learning.

[Advanced: If time, killing an image and replaying the change file is cool].

There are many good Smalltalks.  Cuis is the most simple way to learn the details.

$0.02
--
Ken [dot] Dickey [at] whidbey [dot] com

-KenD

Re: Possible talk in Smalltalks 2013

KenDickey
Sorry, I missed the "Smalltalk conference" part.

Demo of Cuis to Smalltalk programmers is very different.

Small number of classes, STE, and movement to Morphic 3.

Appologies
--
Ken [dot] Dickey [at] whidbey [dot] com

-KenD

Re: Possible talk in Smalltalks 2013

garduino
Hi Ken!

Don't worry, your summary was very apropiated to remember all of us the main reasons of our love for Smalltalk!

Thanks by all the hints.

2013/8/17 Ken Dickey <[hidden email]>
Sorry, I missed the "Smalltalk conference" part.

Demo of Cuis to Smalltalk programmers is very different.

Small number of classes, STE, and movement to Morphic 3.

Appologies
--
Ken [dot] Dickey [at] whidbey [dot] com

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: Possible talk in Smalltalks 2013

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Germán

When is that conference?

I think the new web site should have some minimal update as well.

Juan recently sent a github link for a github based web site where we
all can contribute (with pull requests)

how do it get there from https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev ?

Regards
Hannes

On 8/17/13, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ken!
>
> Don't worry, your summary was very apropiated to remember all of us the
> main reasons of our love for Smalltalk!
>
> Thanks by all the hints.
>

> 2013/8/17 Ken Dickey <[hidden email]>
>
>> Sorry, I missed the "Smalltalk conference" part.
>>
>> Demo of Cuis to Smalltalk programmers is very different.
>>
>> Small number of classes, STE, and movement to Morphic 3.
>>

>> Appologies
>> --
>> Ken [dot] Dickey [at] whidbey [dot] com

> Saludos / Regards,
> Germán Arduino
> www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: Possible talk in Smalltalks 2013

Angel Java Lopez
More info about Smalltalks 2013, Rosario, Argentina:

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 8:51 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Germán

When is that conference?

I think the new web site should have some minimal update as well.

Juan recently sent a github link for a github based web site where we
all can contribute (with pull requests)

how do it get there from https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev ?

Regards
Hannes

On 8/17/13, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Ken!
>
> Don't worry, your summary was very apropiated to remember all of us the
> main reasons of our love for Smalltalk!
>
> Thanks by all the hints.
>

> 2013/8/17 Ken Dickey <[hidden email]>
>
>> Sorry, I missed the "Smalltalk conference" part.
>>
>> Demo of Cuis to Smalltalk programmers is very different.
>>
>> Small number of classes, STE, and movement to Morphic 3.
>>

>> Appologies
>> --
>> Ken [dot] Dickey [at] whidbey [dot] com

> Saludos / Regards,
> Germán Arduino
> www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: Possible talk in Smalltalks 2013

garduino
Hi Hannes:

The github poweredsite is at: http://cuis-smalltalk.github.io/

On 8/18/13, Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> More info about Smalltalks 2013, Rosario, Argentina:
>
> http://www.fast.org.ar/smalltalks2013

Fine, thank you. That is still 13 weeks to go. Time to update
documentation on the web site.

> On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 8:51 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello Germán
>>
>> When is that conference?
>>
>> I think the new web site should have some minimal update as well.
>>
>> Juan recently sent a github link for a github based web site where we
>> all can contribute (with pull requests)
>>
>> how do it get there from
>> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev ?
>>
>> Regards
>> Hannes
>>
>> On 8/17/13, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Ken!
>> >
>> > Don't worry, your summary was very apropiated to remember all of us the
>> > main reasons of our love for Smalltalk!
>> >
>> > Thanks by all the hints.

>> > --
>> > Saludos / Regards,
>> > Germán Arduino
>> > www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: Possible talk in Smalltalks 2013

Juan Vuletich-4
Thanks Ken, good stuff to keep in mind when showing Smalltalk. Some
things we take for granted...

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich