Potential YAXO clash?

TimM-3
I've been trying to use YAXO which is in the base image (I think due to
STS).

I've been finding it difficult to use, in that its functionality seems very
limited to what I would expect (e.g. traversing nodes seems somewhat
limited, and many methods don't seem to work well at all).

Peter Kenny on the D5 forum has pointed out that the version on Dolphin
Harbour (which looks to be what is included in D6) is potentially an older
version (SqueakMap has a 2.0b version).

This could pose problems if we can't upgrade to a newer version if STS has
been written to an older protocol (luckily it doesn't seem to make much use
of it from what I can see).

Is this likely to be a problem? I am trying to get a copy of the newer
version to see what happens if I import it into D6 - but it raises the
question of how to handle widening dependcies in the dolphin base?

Tim

Re: Potential YAXO clash?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Tim,

> I've been trying to use YAXO which is in the base image (I think due to
> STS).
>
> I've been finding it difficult to use, in that its functionality seems very
> limited to what I would expect (e.g. traversing nodes seems somewhat
> limited, and many methods don't seem to work well at all).
>
> Peter Kenny on the D5 forum has pointed out that the version on Dolphin
> Harbour (which looks to be what is included in D6) is potentially an older
> version (SqueakMap has a 2.0b version).
>
> This could pose problems if we can't upgrade to a newer version if STS has
> been written to an older protocol (luckily it doesn't seem to make much use
> of it from what I can see).

"Can't upgrade" is probably over stating it.  I assume one would
temporarily give STS a sedative, file in the new YAXO (or unload all
dependent packages, including STS, then reload), then test and fix
anything that is broken.

I do not make much use of XML, but IMHO, anything from untrusted sources
should not be run through the MS binaries.  Besides, I prefer to have
Smalltalk code blow up at a syntax error vs. having to back out where it
happened when a binary barks, and Smalltalk code won't suffer risk of
thread affinities should one wish to parse in the background - just my 2
asCents.

> Is this likely to be a problem? I am trying to get a copy of the newer
> version to see what happens if I import it into D6 - but it raises the
> question of how to handle widening dependcies in the dolphin base?

Hopefully STS can be upgraded to a newer version w/ very little effort.
  One option would be to ship D6 w/ STS in package form but not
initially loaded???  However, that still leaves the potential for it to
break with a new version of YAXO.

I don't know if it would be wise to create, but it would nice to have a
way to upgrade a package vs. unload/reload.  Squeak effectively seems to
do just that, but they also have a lot of broken features.  Whether that
is partly because of forgiving "packaging" or simply the result of too
many cooks is not clear to me.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Potential YAXO clash?

David Gorisek-2
STS uses YAXO only for its own package and project export/import format.
I wouldn't say that it really depends on it. I switched from using MS
XML parser because it froze the image during import, plus it didn't
handle whitespaces well.

Using STS you can easily upgrade YAXO without having to uninstall
anything. Just import the newest YAXO in STS repository, then load the
new version using STS package "load edition" option. If YAXO is avilable
as a Squeak .ST package you can also import it into repository as it is
in the Squeak version (you might need the latest STS for this because
some Squeak importing code was fixed). Since Squeak has now switched to
using .MCZ files I might have to add posibility to import these files
too in the future...

Best regards,

David Gorisek

Bill Schwab wrote:

> Tim,
>
>> I've been trying to use YAXO which is in the base image (I think due
>> to STS).
>>
>> I've been finding it difficult to use, in that its functionality seems
>> very limited to what I would expect (e.g. traversing nodes seems
>> somewhat limited, and many methods don't seem to work well at all).
>>
>> Peter Kenny on the D5 forum has pointed out that the version on
>> Dolphin Harbour (which looks to be what is included in D6) is
>> potentially an older version (SqueakMap has a 2.0b version).
>>
>> This could pose problems if we can't upgrade to a newer version if STS
>> has been written to an older protocol (luckily it doesn't seem to make
>> much use of it from what I can see).
>

> "Can't upgrade" is probably over stating it.  I assume one would
> temporarily give STS a sedative, file in the new YAXO (or unload all
> dependent packages, including STS, then reload), then test and fix
> anything that is broken.
>
> I do not make much use of XML, but IMHO, anything from untrusted sources
> should not be run through the MS binaries.  Besides, I prefer to have
> Smalltalk code blow up at a syntax error vs. having to back out where it
> happened when a binary barks, and Smalltalk code won't suffer risk of
> thread affinities should one wish to parse in the background - just my 2
> asCents.
>

>> Is this likely to be a problem? I am trying to get a copy of the newer
>> version to see what happens if I import it into D6 - but it raises the
>> question of how to handle widening dependcies in the dolphin base?
>

> Hopefully STS can be upgraded to a newer version w/ very little effort.
>  One option would be to ship D6 w/ STS in package form but not initially
> loaded???  However, that still leaves the potential for it to break with
> a new version of YAXO.
>
> I don't know if it would be wise to create, but it would nice to have a
> way to upgrade a package vs. unload/reload.  Squeak effectively seems to
> do just that, but they also have a lot of broken features.  Whether that
> is partly because of forgiving "packaging" or simply the result of too
> many cooks is not clear to me.
>
> Have a good one,
>
> Bill

Re: Potential YAXO clash?

TimM-3
> Using STS you can easily upgrade YAXO without having to uninstall
> anything. Just import the newest YAXO in STS repository, then load the new
> version using STS package "load edition" option. If YAXO is avilable as a
> Squeak .ST package you can also import it into repository as it is in the
> Squeak version (you might need the latest STS for this because some Squeak
> importing code was fixed). Since Squeak has now switched to using .MCZ
> files I might have to add posibility to import these files too in the
> future...

That doesn't sound too bad... it is in MCZ format though. I'm a squeak newb
and have no clue how to reliable export to ST (so that new feature would be
good if we end up having to port from Squeak often). Having said this, I'm
sure I can eventually work out how after loading an MCZ file I can figure
out where it went and how to do a fileout.

Tim