Preferences -> Settings: #browsing group

Preferences -> Settings: #browsing group

Alain Plantec-4
Hi all,

Below are listed all old preferences of the #browsing group.
For each one, its name is shown with the comment that we can read from
the preference browser.
Then I've added and 'action'  (remove or keep it).
If kept, I've also added a possible new setting declaration.

Could you read it carefully and give your point of view about the
desired action.
Thanks
Alain

alternativeBrowseIt :
"if true cmd-b offers a list of class names matching selection"

action: remove it because this feature is always desired

-----------------------------------

annotationPanes:
"if true, a thin horizontal pane is used in browsers"

action: don't know because the annotation pane seems not correctly
updated  by browsers. However, it is correctly updated by MessageSet.

if kept:

CodeHolder class>>annotationPane

    <setting>

    ^ AnnotationPane ifNil: [AnnotationPane := (SettingManager
newSetting: 'Annotation pane')
        default: false;
        parent: #browsing;
in browsers. When a method is selected, then the pane is updated with
useful informations about the method']

-----------------------------------

balloonHelpInMessageLists:
"If true, then message-list browsers in Morphic will show balloon help,
consisting of the first comment of the method or of a superclass"

action: would remove it. didn't succeed in making it work. Serves as a
value for a Morph property #balloonTextSelectorForSubMorphs. This
property is used by PluggableListMorph>>list: which has following comment:

"lex doesn't think this is used any longer, but is not yet brave enough
to remove it.  It should be removed eventually"

------------------------------------

browseWithPrettyPrint
"If true, browsers will automatically format their contents"

action: keep it ?
CodeHolder class>>browseWithPrettyPrint
    <setting>
    ^BrowseWithPrettyPrint ifNil: [BrowseWithPrettyPrint :=
(SettingManager newSetting: 'Pretty print')
            default: false;
            parent: #browsing;
their contents']

question: do we really need style for code file out ?
(problem:
used by Text>>askIfAddStyle: priorMethod req: requestor send by
ClassDescription and TraitDescription)
->would introduce a dependence from Text to CodeHolder).

------------------------------------

colorWhenPrettyPrinting:"If true, then when browseWithPrettyPrint is in
effect, the pretty-printing will be presented in color"
action: remove it ?

No effect anymore on pharo-core browsers

------------------------------------

decorateBrowserButtons: "Governs whether certain buttons, such as the
Inheritance button, should bear colors that provide user feedback on
their applicability"
action: maybe remove it ?

such a feedback is now provided by OB-browser with its icon set.

------------------------------------

diffsInChangeList: "If true, changeList browsers and Versions browsers
will open up by default showing diffs, i.e. revealing the differences
between successive versions or between the in-memory code and the code
on disk"

action: keep it ?

CodeHolder class>>showDifferencesInChangeList
    <setting>
    ^ ShowDifferencesInChangeList ifNil: [ShowDifferencesInChangeList :=
(SettingManager newSetting: 'Show differences in ChangeList')
            default: true;
            parent: #browsing;
browsers will open up by default showing diffs, i.e. revealing the
differences between successive versions or between the in-memory code
and the code on disk']

------------------------------------

diffsWithPrettyPrint: "if true, displays of source code differences will
be pretty-printed first"
action: keep it ?

CodeHolder class>>prettyPrintDifferences
    <setting>
    ^ PrettyPrintDifferences ifNil: [PrettyPrintDifferences :=
(SettingManager newSetting: 'Pretty print differences')
            default: false;
            parent: #browsing;
will be pretty-printed first']

------------------------------------

optionalButtons: "If true, then optional buttons will be used in certain
standard tools, including browsers, message lists, fileLists,
changeLists, and debuggers"
action: remove it ?
because it is always used

------------------------------------

smartUpdating: "If true, then morphic tools such as browsers and
inspectors will keep their contents up to date automatically, so that if
something changes anywhere, the change will be reflected everywhere."
action: keep it ?

true by default, when do we set this to false ?
CodeHolder class>>smartUpdating
    <setting>
    ^ SmartUpdating ifNil: [SmartUpdating := (SettingManager newSetting:
'Smart updating')
            default: true;
            parent: #browsing;
and inspectors will keep their contents up to date automatically, so
that if something changes anywhere, the change will be reflected
everywhere.']

------------------------------------

useNewDiffToolsForMC: "When enabled the Polymorph diff tools will be
used with Monticello. When diabled, the original tools are used."
action: remove it ?

Should it be a setting ?
What is wrong with the new diff tool ?

Re: Preferences -> Settings: #browsing group

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks this is cool to have such an evaluation.
I would love that we start to refactor the system so that at the end
we could unload
preferences (this would show that the flow of a program does use a
preference but does not
rely on the class Preference)

Stef

Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
> Thanks this is cool to have such an evaluation.
> I would love that we start to refactor the system so that at the end
> we could unload
> preferences (this would show that the flow of a program does use a
> preference but does not
> rely on the class Preference)
ok this is exactly the goal here.
Replace global preferences by local settings.
Setting of the #browsing group can be defined locally in the CodeHolder
class or in a new ToolsSetting class created in the Tools package.
what do you prefer ?
alain

On May 11, 2009, at 11:44 AM, Alain Plantec wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
>> Thanks this is cool to have such an evaluation.
>> I would love that we start to refactor the system so that at the end
>> we could unload
>> preferences (this would show that the flow of a program does use a
>> preference but does not
>> rely on the class Preference)
> ok this is exactly the goal here.
> Replace global preferences by local settings.
> Setting of the #browsing group can be defined locally in the
> CodeHolder
> class or in a new ToolsSetting class created in the Tools package.

good question.
I have the impression that local would mean in codeHolder package so
may be in CodeHolder