Preferences // Settings

Hannes Hirzel
On 3/1/13, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Casey,
>
> On 28/02/2013 05:32 a.m., Casey Ransberger wrote:
>> In other news, should we add this stuff to the appearance menu? I think it
>> might make sense since we don't have a browser for preferences currently,
>> and I doubt we need one either.

>> Andreas hated Preferences, wanted the settings to live on the actual
>> objects as opposed to in a big (Preferences) pile, and I really identified
>> with that idea.
>>
>> Thoughts? It's something that any of us could easily do, and I'd volunteer
>> for that.
>
> Sure. I agree with all you say. Go ahead.

Casey, which candidate objects/classes do you see where the
preferences should live?

And what would be the next very tiny actual increment to implement?
Appearance menu? Which menu entries? Just the one Helmut asked for?
Others?

Regards
Hannes

Re: Preferences // Settings

Frank Shearar-3
On 4 March 2013 01:32, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/1/13, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Casey,
>>
>> On 28/02/2013 05:32 a.m., Casey Ransberger wrote:
>>> In other news, should we add this stuff to the appearance menu? I think it
>>> might make sense since we don't have a browser for preferences currently,
>>> and I doubt we need one either.
>
>>> Andreas hated Preferences, wanted the settings to live on the actual
>>> objects as opposed to in a big (Preferences) pile, and I really identified
>>> with that idea.
>>>
>>> Thoughts? It's something that any of us could easily do, and I'd volunteer
>>> for that.
>>
>> Sure. I agree with all you say. Go ahead.
>>

> Casey, which candidate objects/classes do you see where the
> preferences should live?

If you look in a base Squeak you'll find a bunch of methods
advertising their preference settings through pragmas. I don't recall
any examples off-hand, but I know they're there.

frank

> And what would be the next very tiny actual increment to implement?
> Appearance menu? Which menu entries? Just the one Helmut asked for?
> Others?
>
> Regards
> Hannes

Re: Preferences // Settings

Casey Ransberger-2
Hi Hannes,

The overall idea is that a class called Preferences isn't really even necessary beyond simply pointing the user at where the actual preferences live, because preferences in Smalltalk tend toward being either global variables (which we usually want to avoid) or persistent state on long lived objects (most often, class or class instance variables.)

So instead of continuing to pile a bunch of user preference state/behavior in one place, we might instead put that state/behavior where it ought to sensibly go in the system organization and instead provide a user interface to the many sites in the system which are customizable. The point is one ends up with looser coupling.

Worth noting, with a bit of a grin, that I did exactly the opposite thing with Theme, but only because I saw an interesting opportunity to separate concerns about look and feel throughout Morphic, which seemed worth doing. I still think that was a good idea. Anyhow I digress.

Does this all make sense? I'm not making a call to arms to kill Preferences so much as I'm making a call to arms not to fatten the thing anymore, so that one day it can retire comfortably and in good standing for all of the hard work it has done.

As to which things I'd like to remove from preferences? Well, font-size definitely should be a part of Theme in my opinion. That's currently still a preference, and mostly because I haven't gotten round to submerging it into Theme yet, but I wouldn't hate it if someone beat me to the punch on doing that :D