Preferences location on linux and windows?

Preferences location on linux and windows?

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi guys

I'm about to release a new booklet and I need the following information.
What are the preferences  location on linux and windows?

TX

Re: Preferences location on linux and windows?

CyrilFerlicot
Le 29/10/2017 à 21:19, Stephane Ducasse a écrit :
> Hi guys
>
> I'm about to release a new booklet and I need the following information.
> What are the preferences  location on linux and windows?
>
> TX

Hi,

For windows:

C:\Users\Name_Of_Your_User\AppData\Roaming

You can also describe it by:

%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming

This location contains a "Pharo" folder.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Preferences location on linux and windows?

Stephane Ducasse-3
tx!
I would have never guessed it.

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 9:23 PM, Cyril Ferlicot D.
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 29/10/2017 à 21:19, Stephane Ducasse a écrit :
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I'm about to release a new booklet and I need the following information.
>> What are the preferences  location on linux and windows?
>>
>> TX
>>

> Hi,
>
> For windows:
>
> C:\Users\Name_Of_Your_User\AppData\Roaming
>
> You can also describe it by:
>
> %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming
>
> This location contains a "Pharo" folder.
>

> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
> https://ferlicot.fr
>
> http://www.synectique.eu
> 2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
> 59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Preferences location on linux and windows?

Nicolas Cellier
Par définition, tu ne peux pas trouver son adresse c'est un nomade...

https://www.linguee.fr/anglais-francais/traduction/roaming.html

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Le 29/10/2017 à 21:19, Stephane Ducasse a écrit :
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I'm about to release a new booklet and I need the following information.
>> What are the preferences  location on linux and windows?
>>
>> TX
>>

> Hi,
>
> For windows:
>
> C:\Users\Name_Of_Your_User\AppData\Roaming
>
> You can also describe it by:
>
> %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming
>
> This location contains a "Pharo" folder.
>

> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
> https://ferlicot.fr
>
> http://www.synectique.eu
> 2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
> 59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Preferences location on linux and windows?

Clément Béra

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 9:27 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
tx!
I would have never guessed it.

That's normal, nobody would have guessed it because it's not a guess. Instead of guessing, one can just use any of the Pharo search engine which allow to find anything in Pharo in a couple seconds.

Using GTSpotter, typing 'Preferences' immediately shows as the first result the general and version preference folders, with location and contents.

Using the class search feature of Nautilus [1], entering 'Preferences' shows only a couple classes, including StartupPreferencesLoader, which by name explicitly says this is responsible for loading the startup preferences. Looking at its comment we see:

Print the result of "StartupPreferencesLoader preferencesGeneralFolder" which holds the startup scripts common to all versions of Pharo.
Print the result of "StartupPreferencesLoader preferencesVersionFolder" which holds the startup scripts specific to the version of the current image.

As Nicolas said, the address of the folder is different based on the OS version, OS settings, OS updates, the user rights of the person who started Pharo... That's why in StartupPreferencesLoader the way to find the path is documented and not the path itself.

 [1] Open Nautilus, right click in the left column and select 'Find class...' in the menu

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Le 29/10/2017 à 21:19, Stephane Ducasse a écrit :
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I'm about to release a new booklet and I need the following information.
>> What are the preferences  location on linux and windows?
>>
>> TX
>>

> Hi,
>
> For windows:
>
> C:\Users\Name_Of_Your_User\AppData\Roaming
>
> You can also describe it by:
>
> %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming
>
> This location contains a "Pharo" folder.
>

> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
> https://ferlicot.fr
>
> http://www.synectique.eu
> 2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
> 59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

--
Clément Béra
Pharo consortium engineer
Bâtiment B 40, avenue Halley 59650 Villeneuve d'Ascq

Re: Preferences location on linux and windows?

philippeback
I am using

FileLocator preferences pathString

--> C:\Users\phil\AppData\Roaming

And FileLocator preferences asFileReference in a playground opens the folder on the right.

Phil