Preparing my presentation of NativeBoost

Preparing my presentation of NativeBoost

Igor Stasenko
Hi,

i'd like to know what you would like to know about things you don't
know about NativeBoost :)
because i don't know what would you like to know more:

 - more in-depth about an implementation details
 - more about examples and how to use it

just thinking, what i should focus on.

For those who never heard about this project before, here the link to
project home page:
http://code.google.com/p/nativeboost/

See you in Edinburg.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Preparing my presentation of NativeBoost

tallman@inbox.ru
> i'd like to know what you would like to know about things you don't
> know about NativeBoost :)

Well, ok, first thing I always like to see is examples of usage, you know. I mean not "packages which uses my package".
I mean something like "Imagine, you want...some situation described.... You can do it with NativeBoost this way: ....code example...".

Re: Preparing my presentation of NativeBoost

Martin McClure-3
On 08/05/2011 04:00 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i'd like to know what you would like to know about things you don't
> know about NativeBoost :)
> because i don't know what would you like to know more:
>
>   - more in-depth about an implementation details
>   - more about examples and how to use it
>
> just thinking, what i should focus on.

I know very little about NativeBoost. I'm very interested in its
implementation, but would like *some* examples of usage.

Regards,

-Martin

Re: Preparing my presentation of NativeBoost

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Martin McClure-3 wrote
I know very little about NativeBoost. I'm very interested in its
implementation, but would like *some* examples of usage.
+1 for usage examples (e.g. calling into c libraries).

Thanks Igor!

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

On 6 August 2011 02:38, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Martin McClure-3 wrote:
>>
>> I know very little about NativeBoost. I'm very interested in its
>> implementation, but would like *some* examples of usage.
>>

> +1 for usage examples (e.g. calling into c libraries).

Oh, that's boring. But of course i will show couple of them :)

> Thanks Igor!
>
> Sean

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Preparing my presentation of NativeBoost

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Igor Stasenko wrote
Oh, that's boring. But of course i will show couple of them :)
We have to start somewhere :) Specifically, I'd like to see how errors are handled, since my experience with FFI is that when it fails, it is always mysterious.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Preparing my presentation of NativeBoost

tallman@inbox.ru
> > Well, let me try. Sometimes it's neccessary to make dot product of big
> > numerical arrays. So, maybe it's possible to implement fast version of
> > it with NativeBoost.
> >
> This is simple to do: multiply pairs in loop and collect the sum :)

Do you mean it's easy with NativeBoost? My doubt is accessing of smalltalk's
collections from provided low-level code. Another problem is how to prepare
this low-level code, how to put it inside the method and so on. Something like
"Hello World" for NativeBoost.

> I don't remember an algorithm for multiplying matrices of arbitrary size.
> I was taught it in university but it was long time ago :)

Matrix algoritm is not that hard to find...wikipedia, you know. Generally speaking,
if dot product solution will be demonstrated, I think, matrix multiplication will be
easy.

> ... and it converts it to utf8 encoding before pushing it to function.

What function do you mean? One of smalltalk object's methods or something
other?

Re: Preparing my presentation of NativeBoost

SeanTAllen

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Martin McClure <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 08/05/2011 04:00 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
Hi,

i'd like to know what you would like to know about things you don't
know about NativeBoost :)
because i don't know what would you like to know more:

 - more in-depth about an implementation details
 - more about examples and how to use it

just thinking, what i should focus on.

I know very little about NativeBoost. I'm very interested in its implementation, but would like *some* examples of usage.

Martin said what I was thinking. I'm more of a how was it done first sort.

2011/8/6 Юрий Мироненко <[hidden email]>:

>> > Well, let me try. Sometimes it's neccessary to make dot product of big
>> > numerical arrays. So, maybe it's possible to implement fast version of
>> > it with NativeBoost.
>> >
>> This is simple to do: multiply pairs in loop and collect the sum :)
>
> Do you mean it's easy with NativeBoost? My doubt is accessing of smalltalk's
> collections from provided low-level code. Another problem is how to prepare
> this low-level code, how to put it inside the method and so on. Something
> like
> "Hello World" for NativeBoost.
>

>> I don't remember an algorithm for multiplying matrices of arbitrary size.
>> I was taught it in university but it was long time ago :)
>
> Matrix algoritm is not that hard to find...wikipedia, you know. Generally
> speaking,
> if dot product solution will be demonstrated, I think, matrix multiplication
> will be
> easy.

Ok.

>> ... and it converts it to utf8 encoding before pushing it to function.
>
> What function do you mean? One of smalltalk object's methods or something
> other?

any function where you want to pass pointer to utf8 string.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.