Preparing the sprint

12

Preparing the sprint

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

I would like to have several kinds of tasks so that people can pick up
Now let me know if you have other points

        - fixing stuff for 1.0
        - integrating pending for 1.1
        - OB related UI
        - fixing more elaborated points for 1.1
                - package structure
                - improving the system (smalllint?)
                - Popup discard
                - TextEditor from Squeak/CUIS
                - ToolBuilder changes
                - checking squeak fixes
        - Preparing release candidate
                - fixing _
                - free fonts
        - Dreaming about the future
                - filesystem? Rio/
                - newcompiler
                - true package
                - management of noncore packages
                - browsers
                - release/integration process

BTW what is costing me most of my time is cleaning the inbox.
Can we script that because moving these files is a pain.

Syeg

Re: Preparing the sprint

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

Rio and non-core packages reminds me of #newForWin32, which is missing a #new, so it answers the class instead of an instance.  This breaks the installation on Windows, and it also leads to a broken image on Windows if it is not corrected on another OS.

I _think_ I reported it.

Bill

Re: Preparing the sprint

keith1y

On 10 Oct 2009, at 22:50, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Stef,
>
> Rio and non-core packages reminds me of #newForWin32, which is
> missing a #new, so it answers the class instead of an instance.
> This breaks the installation on Windows, and it also leads to a
> broken image on Windows if it is not corrected on another OS.
>
> I _think_ I reported it.
>
> Bill

You would be using an ancient version of Rio, I think I zeroed out the
latest of the old packages to prevent people loading them. Both
Universes and Sake/Packages have the correct definitions as to which
package to load.

Keith

Re: Preparing the sprint

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Keith,

I used ScriptLoader to get the latest version from squeak source.

Bill

On 10 Oct 2009, at 22:50, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Stef,
>
> Rio and non-core packages reminds me of #newForWin32, which is
> missing a #new, so it answers the class instead of an instance.
> This breaks the installation on Windows, and it also leads to a broken
> image on Windows if it is not corrected on another OS.
>
> I _think_ I reported it.
>
> Bill

You would be using an ancient version of Rio, I think I zeroed out the latest of the old packages to prevent people loading them. Both Universes and Sake/Packages have the correct definitions as to which package to load.

Keith

Re: Preparing the sprint

Adrian Lienhard
This is a good list. I would like to add:

- evaluate Metacello as a package management system for Pharo (Dale
announced Metacello beta on the Seaside-dev mailing list yesterday)
- simple testserver (load updates from stream, run test, report
results by mail)
- remove Accuny from image and use NiceFonts in Pharo-core
- review closure fixes and make all tests green (I'm working on this)

Sprint participants, please extend the list!

Cheers,
Adrian

On Oct 10, 2009, at 10:01 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I would like to have several kinds of tasks so that people can pick up
> Now let me know if you have other points
>
> - fixing stuff for 1.0
> - integrating pending for 1.1
> - OB related UI
> - fixing more elaborated points for 1.1
> - package structure
> - improving the system (smalllint?)
> - Popup discard
> - TextEditor from Squeak/CUIS
> - ToolBuilder changes
> - checking squeak fixes
> - Preparing release candidate
> - fixing _
> - free fonts
> - Dreaming about the future
> - filesystem? Rio/
> - newcompiler
> - true package
> - management of noncore packages
> - browsers
> - release/integration process
>
> BTW what is costing me most of my time is cleaning the inbox.
> Can we script that because moving these files is a pain.
>
> Syeg

Re: Preparing the sprint

Alain Plantec-4
Adrian Lienhard a écrit :

> This is a good list. I would like to add:
>
> - evaluate Metacello as a package management system for Pharo (Dale
> announced Metacello beta on the Seaside-dev mailing list yesterday)
> - simple testserver (load updates from stream, run test, report
> results by mail)
> - remove Accuny from image and use NiceFonts in Pharo-core
> - review closure fixes and make all tests green (I'm working on this)
>
> Sprint participants, please extend the list!

Hi all,
I will work on the new setting framework integration
(replacement of old global preferences by local variables + setting
declaration).
Cheers
Alain

> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> On Oct 10, 2009, at 10:01 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

>> Hi guys
>>
>> I would like to have several kinds of tasks so that people can pick up
>> Now let me know if you have other points
>>
>> - fixing stuff for 1.0
>> - integrating pending for 1.1
>> - OB related UI
>> - fixing more elaborated points for 1.1
>> - package structure
>> - improving the system (smalllint?)
>> - Popup discard
>> - TextEditor from Squeak/CUIS
>> - ToolBuilder changes
>> - checking squeak fixes
>> - Preparing release candidate
>> - fixing _
>> - free fonts
>> - Dreaming about the future
>> - filesystem? Rio/
>> - newcompiler
>> - true package
>> - management of noncore packages
>> - browsers
>> - release/integration process
>>
>> BTW what is costing me most of my time is cleaning the inbox.
>> Can we script that because moving these files is a pain.
>>
>> Syeg

Re: Preparing the sprint

Oscar Nierstrasz

I made a wiki page:

http://scg.unibe.ch/wiki/events/PharoSprintLille09

It would be nice if people who are planning to attend have write
access to the wiki. Please ask me or Lukas Renggli if you need to be
added as a wiki user.

- on

Re: Preparing the sprint

Stéphane Ducasse
Ok I would prefer if we use the pharo wiki
there is a page for the sprint at:

http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/PharoSprints

stef

On Oct 12, 2009, at 1:38 PM, Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:

> I made a wiki page:
>
> http://scg.unibe.ch/wiki/events/PharoSprintLille09
>
> It would be nice if people who are planning to attend have write
> access to the wiki. Please ask me or Lukas Renggli if you need to be
> added as a wiki user.
>
> - on

Re: Preparing the sprint

On Oct 12, 2009, at 10:53 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> This is a good list. I would like to add:
>
> - evaluate Metacello as a package management system for Pharo (Dale
> announced Metacello beta on the Seaside-dev mailing list yesterday)
> - simple testserver (load updates from stream, run test, report
> results by mail)
> - remove Accuny from image and use NiceFonts in Pharo-core

> - review closure fixes and make all tests green (I'm working on this)
Excellent!

I added the list to
        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/PharoSprint

Re: Preparing the sprint

Lukas Renggli
I made the page editable by public. No need to login, just click on
edit at the top right of the page.

Lukas

2009/10/12 Oscar Nierstrasz <[hidden email]>:

> I made a wiki page:
>
> http://scg.unibe.ch/wiki/events/PharoSprintLille09
>
> It would be nice if people who are planning to attend have write
> access to the wiki. Please ask me or Lukas Renggli if you need to be
> added as a wiki user.
>
> - on

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Preparing the sprint

Simon Denier-3

Also during the sprint, me and Jannik would like to run an experiment
running eDSM (a matrix visualization of dependencies) to refactor some
package dependencies (heads up for those who will attend WCRE this
week, eDSM is on schedule Wednesday :)). For people interested (we
will contact or you can contact us), the experiment will take around 3
hours and you get to do what you want to do in Pharo, but with our
tool :)

On 10 oct. 2009, at 10:01, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I would like to have several kinds of tasks so that people can pick up
> Now let me know if you have other points
>
> - fixing stuff for 1.0
> - integrating pending for 1.1
> - OB related UI
> - fixing more elaborated points for 1.1
> - package structure
> - improving the system (smalllint?)
> - Popup discard
> - TextEditor from Squeak/CUIS
> - ToolBuilder changes
> - checking squeak fixes
> - Preparing release candidate
> - fixing _
> - free fonts
> - Dreaming about the future
> - filesystem? Rio/
> - newcompiler
> - true package
> - management of noncore packages
> - browsers
> - release/integration process
>
> BTW what is costing me most of my time is cleaning the inbox.
> Can we script that because moving these files is a pain.
>
> Syeg

  Simon

Re: Preparing the sprint

Stéphane Ducasse
Yes I want to cut some dirty cycles
Network could be a first start and after the ugly morphic ;-}
On Oct 12, 2009, at 3:01 PM, Simon Denier wrote:

> Also during the sprint, me and Jannik would like to run an experiment
> running eDSM (a matrix visualization of dependencies) to refactor some
> package dependencies (heads up for those who will attend WCRE this
> week, eDSM is on schedule Wednesday :)). For people interested (we
> will contact or you can contact us), the experiment will take around 3
> hours and you get to do what you want to do in Pharo, but with our
> tool :)
>

> On 10 oct. 2009, at 10:01, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I would like to have several kinds of tasks so that people can pick
>> up
>> Now let me know if you have other points
>>
>> - fixing stuff for 1.0
>> - integrating pending for 1.1
>> - OB related UI
>> - fixing more elaborated points for 1.1
>> - package structure
>> - improving the system (smalllint?)
>> - Popup discard
>> - TextEditor from Squeak/CUIS
>> - ToolBuilder changes
>> - checking squeak fixes
>> - Preparing release candidate
>> - fixing _
>> - free fonts
>> - Dreaming about the future
>> - filesystem? Rio/
>> - newcompiler
>> - true package
>> - management of noncore packages
>> - browsers
>> - release/integration process
>>
>> BTW what is costing me most of my time is cleaning the inbox.
>> Can we script that because moving these files is a pain.
>>
>> Syeg

>  Simon

Re: Preparing the sprint

Michael Roberts-2
hi I can't make the sprint but I have the basic core of a test server
that runs the tests and updates the wiki. I just need to be able to
spawn svn shell commands which I'm stuck on due to osprocess crash. I
can post the code in task forces if someone is interested.

To turn it into a server we need a host and some scripts to kick it
off. Do we have any hardware as a group?
cheers mike

On Monday, October 12, 2009, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes I want to cut some dirty cycles
> Network could be a first start and after the ugly morphic ;-}
> On Oct 12, 2009, at 3:01 PM, Simon Denier wrote:
>

>> Also during the sprint, me and Jannik would like to run an experiment
>> running eDSM (a matrix visualization of dependencies) to refactor some
>> package dependencies (heads up for those who will attend WCRE this
>> week, eDSM is on schedule Wednesday :)). For people interested (we
>> will contact or you can contact us), the experiment will take around 3
>> hours and you get to do what you want to do in Pharo, but with our
>> tool :)
>>

>> On 10 oct. 2009, at 10:01, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> I would like to have several kinds of tasks so that people can pick
>>> up
>>> Now let me know if you have other points
>>>
>>>      - fixing stuff for 1.0
>>>      - integrating pending for 1.1
>>>      - OB related UI
>>>      - fixing more elaborated points for 1.1
>>>              - package structure
>>>              - improving the system (smalllint?)
>>>              - Popup discard
>>>              - TextEditor from Squeak/CUIS
>>>              - ToolBuilder changes
>>>              - checking squeak fixes
>>>      - Preparing release candidate
>>>              - fixing _
>>>              - free fonts
>>>      - Dreaming about the future
>>>              - filesystem? Rio/
>>>              - newcompiler
>>>              - true package
>>>              - management of noncore packages
>>>              - browsers
>>>              - release/integration process
>>>
>>> BTW what is costing me most of my time is cleaning the inbox.
>>> Can we script that because moving these files is a pain.
>>>
>>> Syeg

>> --
>>  Simon

Re: Preparing the sprint

Stéphane Ducasse
Mike is it related to the testServer publihsed on squeaksource?
Because ESUG will also sponsor a summer talk project on the topics.
So if we could join forces it would be great.

For the server this is not clear yet. Internally we have our server
that we could use but
we have to check the security.

I'm waiting that marcus arrives to check that with him and damien.

Stef

On Oct 12, 2009, at 6:25 PM, Michael Roberts wrote:

> hi I can't make the sprint but I have the basic core of a test server
> that runs the tests and updates the wiki. I just need to be able to
> spawn svn shell commands which I'm stuck on due to osprocess crash. I
> can post the code in task forces if someone is interested.
>
> To turn it into a server we need a host and some scripts to kick it
> off. Do we have any hardware as a group?
> cheers mike
>
> On Monday, October 12, 2009, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>> Yes I want to cut some dirty cycles
>> Network could be a first start and after the ugly morphic ;-}
>> On Oct 12, 2009, at 3:01 PM, Simon Denier wrote:
>>

>>> Also during the sprint, me and Jannik would like to run an
>>> experiment
>>> running eDSM (a matrix visualization of dependencies) to refactor
>>> some
>>> package dependencies (heads up for those who will attend WCRE this
>>> week, eDSM is on schedule Wednesday :)). For people interested (we
>>> will contact or you can contact us), the experiment will take
>>> around 3
>>> hours and you get to do what you want to do in Pharo, but with our
>>> tool :)

>>> --
>>>  Simon

Re: Preparing the sprint

Dale

----- "Adrian Lienhard" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| This is a good list. I would like to add:
|
| - evaluate Metacello as a package management system for Pharo (Dale
| announced Metacello beta on the Seaside-dev mailing list yesterday)

Although I am about 8 hours out of synch with the sprint, I will try to be 'on call' during the sprint for any Metacello questions that may come up...

Dale

Re: Preparing the sprint

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Mike,

If you can post the code and maybe some comments on how to use it,
that would be great. Maybe we can do some testing and investigation
into the problem during the sprint.

Do we have an issue for the OSProcess problem or has it been discussed
before?

We'll discuss where to host this server. We have several options there.

Adrian

On Oct 12, 2009, at 18:25 , Michael Roberts wrote:

> hi I can't make the sprint but I have the basic core of a test server
> that runs the tests and updates the wiki. I just need to be able to
> spawn svn shell commands which I'm stuck on due to osprocess crash. I
> can post the code in task forces if someone is interested.
>
> To turn it into a server we need a host and some scripts to kick it
> off. Do we have any hardware as a group?
> cheers mike
>
> On Monday, October 12, 2009, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>> Yes I want to cut some dirty cycles
>> Network could be a first start and after the ugly morphic ;-}
>> On Oct 12, 2009, at 3:01 PM, Simon Denier wrote:
>>

>>> Also during the sprint, me and Jannik would like to run an
>>> experiment
>>> running eDSM (a matrix visualization of dependencies) to refactor
>>> some
>>> package dependencies (heads up for those who will attend WCRE this
>>> week, eDSM is on schedule Wednesday :)). For people interested (we
>>> will contact or you can contact us), the experiment will take
>>> around 3
>>> hours and you get to do what you want to do in Pharo, but with our
>>> tool :)

>>> --
>>>  Simon

Re: Preparing the sprint

keith1y

On 12 Oct 2009, at 17:45, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Mike is it related to the testServer publihsed on squeaksource?
> Because ESUG will also sponsor a summer talk project on the topics.
> So if we could join forces it would be great.
>
> For the server this is not clear yet. Internally we have our server
> that we could use but
> we have to check the security.
>
> I'm waiting that marcus arrives to check that with him and damien.
>
> Stef

Why why why why why is compete more attractive than contributing.

Let me explain....

Step 1. We would like a test server.
Step 2. Is anyone working on this already?
Step 3. Would anyone like to collaborate to specify and work on a test
server?

Bob is already written it just needs configuring, TestReporter is
already written,
and has been available for 3 years or more.

The same thing is happening again and again and again.

Why did anyone even start working on Metacello when Sake/Packages was
already there a year before hand.

Why are the steps above not the default way of working for the
community? It is beyond incredulity.

Keith

Re: Preparing the sprint

Dale
RT @tinybuddha: "Do not give your attention to what others do or fail to do; give it to what you do or fail to do." ~Dhammapada

----- "keith" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| On 12 Oct 2009, at 17:45, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
|
| > Mike is it related to the testServer publihsed on squeaksource?
| > Because ESUG will also sponsor a summer talk project on the topics.
| > So if we could join forces it would be great.
| >
| > For the server this is not clear yet. Internally we have our server
| > that we could use but
| > we have to check the security.
| >
| > I'm waiting that marcus arrives to check that with him and damien.
| >
| > Stef
|
| Why why why why why is compete more attractive than contributing.
|
| Let me explain....
|
| Step 1. We would like a test server.
| Step 2. Is anyone working on this already?
| Step 3. Would anyone like to collaborate to specify and work on a test
| server?
|
| Bob is already written it just needs configuring, TestReporter is
| already written,
| and has been available for 3 years or more.
|
| The same thing is happening again and again and again.
|
| Why did anyone even start working on Metacello when Sake/Packages was
|
| already there a year before hand.
|
| Why are the steps above not the default way of working for the
| community? It is beyond incredulity.
|
| Keith

Re: Preparing the sprint

Lukas Renggli
> If you can post the code and maybe some comments on how to use it,
> that would be great. Maybe we can do some testing and investigation
> into the problem during the sprint.
>
> Do we have an issue for the OSProcess problem or has it been discussed
> before?
>
> We'll discuss where to host this server. We have several options there.

We are using Mason from <http://source.wiresong.ca/mc> to build
Seaside images. We don't have a server setup yet, but it also works
locally.

Mason is a very flexible system, it has infrastructure to build
images, build SAR archives, build documentation, load Monticello 1 and
2 packages, load Metacello configurations, run tests, run code critics
and execute arbitrary scripts, etc. The OB and MC2 distributions are
built using Mason for example:
<http://www.wiresong.ca/static/releases/>.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Preparing the sprint

Michael Roberts-2
Stef, Adrian

no it's not related to anything published on SqueakSource. i'll put
something in task forces later in the week with some comments.

It's not a server, just the core code that runs the tests I put on the
wiki. Given the wiki can be updated with svn that's the route i
propose.  We can also update the issue tracker by marking files in a
special way. i haven't tried that yet but could be useful in the
future. I think we can auto-create issues, or at least auto-close
them.

the code is literally only a few lines here & there.  I don't think it
needs to be that clever. i would prefer to see all energy going into
fixing bugs!  You'll need to integrate it with something that loads
the updates, but I would see that taking more shape once the package
system and process of pharo is more mature.  what lukas describes
sounds interesting.

I need OSProcess to spawn svn, unless we have a lighter weight way of
doing that?

cheers
Mike

12