Presentation(s) at Smalltalk Solutions

Michael Rueger-6
Hi all,

sitting at the airport on my way back from Smalltalk Solutions, writing
a few notes about the AIDA presentation(s) there.

First on was by Rob Rothwell, mainly about the business side of his
work, but he also short a quick glance at his work done in AIDA. I
somehow managed to miss the first half of the talk, but enjoyed it a lot
and think it was well received. Interesting side note was that health
care providers in a dire need for new, innovative tools to deal with the
daily documentation and data madness and are increasingly looking into
Smalltalk.

The talk about AIDA/Scribo was on Saturday morning. Rob assisted, as I
myself am not an AIDA expert (yet). Janko provided the slides and
Nicolas a screen cast helping me with figuring out a demo and a Scribo
demo image.
We managed to avoid to get into any Seaside/AIDA comparison discussions.
   Rob and I weren't quite sure how we would fare within this sea of
Seaside excitement, but some people from audience expressed their
interest and support for AIDA, so I guess it went well! :-)

As preparing for the presentation was the first time I had a chance to
ply with Scribo, I must say that I'm impressed! Good work!
What would give Scribo a good start for adoption would be a decent set
of scriblets and/or good documentation how write and integrate Scriblets.

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=Aida/Scribo&entry=3391505507

Cheers

Michael

Re: Presentation(s) at Smalltalk Solutions

Nicolas Petton
Le dimanche 22 juin 2008 à 15:43 -0700, Michael Rueger a écrit :

Hi Michael and all,

> Hi all,
>
> sitting at the airport on my way back from Smalltalk Solutions, writing
> a few notes about the AIDA presentation(s) there.
>
> First on was by Rob Rothwell, mainly about the business side of his
> work, but he also short a quick glance at his work done in AIDA. I
> somehow managed to miss the first half of the talk, but enjoyed it a lot
> and think it was well received. Interesting side note was that health
> care providers in a dire need for new, innovative tools to deal with the
> daily documentation and data madness and are increasingly looking into
> Smalltalk.
>
> The talk about AIDA/Scribo was on Saturday morning. Rob assisted, as I
> myself am not an AIDA expert (yet). Janko provided the slides and
> Nicolas a screen cast helping me with figuring out a demo and a Scribo
> demo image.
> We managed to avoid to get into any Seaside/AIDA comparison discussions.
>    Rob and I weren't quite sure how we would fare within this sea of
> Seaside excitement, but some people from audience expressed their
> interest and support for AIDA, so I guess it went well! :-)

That's very good news!

Thank you both for your talks, I hope that ESUG conferences will be as
well as yours.

> As preparing for the presentation was the first time I had a chance to
> ply with Scribo, I must say that I'm impressed! Good work!

Thank you :)

> What would give Scribo a good start for adoption would be a decent set
> of scriblets and/or good documentation how write and integrate Scriblets.

Yes, you're right.
Do you have any suggestions or critics about Scribo?

Cheers!

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr

Re: Presentation(s) at Smalltalk Solutions

Rob Rothwell
On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 7:47 PM, nico <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le dimanche 22 juin 2008 à 15:43 -0700, Michael Rueger a écrit :

Hi Michael and all,

> Hi all,
>
> sitting at the airport on my way back from Smalltalk Solutions, writing
> a few notes about the AIDA presentation(s) there.

I will put in my two cents soon; my trip was "constantly moving" somehow for about 13 hrs, and I am just now going to sleep after getting home and catching up with my wife!

> First on was by Rob Rothwell, mainly about the business side of his
> work, but he also short a quick glance at his work done in AIDA. I
> somehow managed to miss the first half of the talk, but enjoyed it a lot
> and think it was well received. Interesting side note was that health
> care providers in a dire need for new, innovative tools to deal with the
> daily documentation and data madness and are increasingly looking into
> Smalltalk.
>
> The talk about AIDA/Scribo was on Saturday morning. Rob assisted, as I
> myself am not an AIDA expert (yet). Janko provided the slides and
> Nicolas a screen cast helping me with figuring out a demo and a Scribo
> demo image.
> We managed to avoid to get into any Seaside/AIDA comparison discussions.
>    Rob and I weren't quite sure how we would fare within this sea of
> Seaside excitement, but some people from audience expressed their
> interest and support for AIDA, so I guess it went well! :-)

Primarily, Monty Williams of Gemstone and I talked about getting with Janko to get an Aida page or something on the GLASS site.  It was kind of strange to be an "Aida expert" given all the questions I ask!  Anyway...lots to look into there.  The most interesting question asked during the Scribo presentation was how hard it would be to teach Aida to use a Seaside component somehow, in the context of using whichever tool might best suit the problem you are working on but not sacrificing other components you might have created.  Just some food for thought...

Thank you both for your talks, I hope that ESUG conferences will be as
well as yours.

Like Michael said, the Seaside enthusiasm is, pun intended, at "high tide."  Continuation seem to be a key point, as well as a straight rendering of html within the framework so that your code "looks" like the page.  The big thing that I think is interesting is the "call:" feature, which calls a component and returns to where it came from, complete with returning a complex object as needed.  I can see that this could be useful.

To be straight-up honest, though, there are some definite Seaside evangelists out there who know who they are that have a LOT of energy and the desire to show EVERYONE that they NEED to be building their web applications in Seaside!

More later, but first sleep (I know...it's not REALLY necessary, except when you have to drive, which is frequently in this country!)

Take care,

Rob

Re: Presentation(s) at Smalltalk Solutions

cedreek
Hi,

> To be straight-up honest, though, there are some definite Seaside
> evangelists out there who know who they are that have a LOT of energy and
> the desire to show EVERYONE that they NEED to be building their web
> applications in Seaside!

I wonder who you're talking about :)
Don't worry about that. Seaside (relative) hype is just a good thing
to Smalltalk and Squeak. Its' a coder trap, that once here (ST world)
cannot go back so they're obliged to look around ;)

One thing that would definitely help is a common way to express the
rendering of component. I personnaly like the WABrush stuff, but I
don't know if finding an equivalent is possible.

And I really find this year exciting :)

It's cool to have both web apps. Actually, I would like a special one
that only could build static sites (some stupid html files with even
some php but not much). The think is sometimes I have to do a static
site for some friends... Seaside and Aida are overkill for that. I can
do plain html, but I'd prefer having a squeak interface ;)... I'll
propably think about that.

see you all,

Cédrick

> Take care,
>
> Rob

Re: Presentation(s) at Smalltalk Solutions

Janko Mivšek
Hi Michael and Rob,

I like to thank you again for all effort you put to present Aida and
Scribo on the conference, specially considering a strong competition of
there :) Well, you have shown that we are the community, well alive,
able to deliver and having a technology which is worth considering and
it seems that Smalltalk audience grasped the message. That's major
achievement!

I also see your presentations as a big encouragement for us developers
of Aida and Scribo, so now let the show go on! Next target is ESUG in
Amsterdam!

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

cdrick wrote:

>> To be straight-up honest, though, there are some definite Seaside
>> evangelists out there who know who they are that have a LOT of energy and
>> the desire to show EVERYONE that they NEED to be building their web
>> applications in Seaside!

> I wonder who you're talking about :)
> Don't worry about that. Seaside (relative) hype is just a good thing
> to Smalltalk and Squeak. Its' a coder trap, that once here (ST world)
> cannot go back so they're obliged to look around ;)

I also think that all this hype is actually good for Aida at the end,
because first there are more people coming to Smalltalk and second, many
of them then discover Aida's simplicity, strengths and maturity. So I
don't worry about that hype much.

Hype is coming and hype is going. What counts is what stays behind. So
we need to deliver as much as possible with Aida and this will be the
best proof for our cause. Then the real developers will come and we like
those most, not those who are just hype driven!

> One thing that would definitely help is a common way to express the
> rendering of component. I personnaly like the WABrush stuff, but I
> don't know if finding an equivalent is possible.

Well, we can simplify an existing syntax and this can bring the same
effect, IMO.

> And I really find this year exciting :)

Me too :)

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Presentation(s) at Smalltalk Solutions

Stefan Schmiedl
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 10:30:24 +0200
cdrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The think is sometimes I have to do a static
> site for some friends... Seaside and Aida are overkill for that.

No, they are not.

I did just last week a prototype for such a static site (in Seaside,
because that's what I'm using for another project right now), and it
cut the annoying effects of design changes down to a minimum, as
I did not have to repeat myself in my "site building toolbox" as I would
have had to if I used "plain" HTML.

Next time I'll be using AIDA for such a task, since I'm
expecting the "export" of the finished pages to be much easier,
just like Janko said in another thread today.

s.