Presenter and Project will die aren't they ?

Presenter and Project will die aren't they ?

Mariano Martinez Peck
I mean, the classes will be completely removed ?

Just to be sure what I can cleanUp from ImageSegment

cheers

Mariano

Re: Presenter and Project will die aren't they ?

Marcus Denker-4

On Jan 11, 2010, at 11:21 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> I mean, the classes will be completely removed ?

Yes, but maybe some code will be moved elsewhere (no idea).

> Just to be sure what I can cleanUp from ImageSegment

Conceptually, I always found it strange that ImageSegment needs to know
about Presenter. And even Project should not be known at that level, I think.

Yes, all the uses of Project and Presenter need to be cleaned....

        Marcus

Re: Presenter and Project will die aren't they ?

Yes!

> I mean, the classes will be completely removed ?
>
> Just to be sure what I can cleanUp from ImageSegment
>
> cheers
>
> Mariano

Re: Presenter and Project will die aren't they ?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Ok...and what about CodeLoader?  I ask because it seems it uses ImageSegment to export categories and classes to disk.

Yes!

On Jan 11, 2010, at 3:04 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Ok...and what about CodeLoader?  I ask because it seems it uses ImageSegment to export categories and classes to disk.

Anyone uses it? If not --> remove.

I think it's just another lefover experiment.

        Marcus

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes!
>
> > I mean, the classes will be completely removed ?
> >
> > Just to be sure what I can cleanUp from ImageSegment
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > Mariano

Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Presenter and Project will die aren't they ?

Michael Roberts-2
CodeLoader is referenced in the ProjectLauncher, but assuming we don't
want to support Pharo in a browser (??) then you could strip out the
HTTPClient checks, leaving the part that reads from disk.

cheers,
Mike

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2010, at 3:04 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> Ok...and what about CodeLoader?  I ask because it seems it uses ImageSegment to export categories and classes to disk.
>>

> Anyone uses it? If not --> remove.
>
> I think it's just another lefover experiment.
>
>        Marcus

Re: Presenter and Project will die aren't they ?

Stéphane Ducasse

On Jan 11, 2010, at 10:41 PM, Michael Roberts wrote:

> CodeLoader is referenced in the ProjectLauncher, but assuming we don't
> want to support Pharo in a browser (??) then you could strip out the
> HTTPClient checks, leaving the part that reads from disk.

It would be nice to keep pharo in the browser now the question is can we do it
without somebody payed to maintain it to be compatible with each version.

> cheers,
> Mike
>
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 11, 2010, at 3:04 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>
>>> Ok...and what about CodeLoader?  I ask because it seems it uses ImageSegment to export categories and classes to disk.
>>>

>> Anyone uses it? If not --> remove.
>>
>> I think it's just another lefover experiment.
>>
>>        Marcus

Re: Presenter and Project will die aren't they ?

Michael Rueger-6
On 1/11/2010 10:52 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> It would be nice to keep pharo in the browser now the question is can we do it
> without somebody payed to maintain it to be compatible with each version.

forget squeak/pharo in the browser.
Nobody wants to install a plugin (and a 32MB one to boot) these days and
etoys never made it into a lot of schools because of this.
Scratch doesn't do it either, they export their projects to Java(!) to
make them run in a browser.

Michael

On 1/11/2010 10:58 PM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> forget squeak/pharo in the browser.

for those not in the know:
I'm one of the poor guys who actually spent a *lot* of time making it
possible ;-)

Michael

Re: Presenter and Project will die aren't they ?

johnmci
Ah well yes Michael suffered thru managing, testing, and working with all those browsers  & plugins.
I suffered thru trying to figure out how it all worked...  At least on the mac.

Here's the current issue, because:

Microsoft shafted netscape by abandoning the netscape API, then shafted apple by not providing an alternative
we had the strange mixture of  a solution for os-x, windows, X11. Then of course Microsoft IE on macintosh
would change behaviour from version to version to screw with FireFox & Mozilla etc.  Let alone worrying about Opera which
kinda worked.  Fortunately Microsoft abandon the Mac browser market,  and Apple introduced Safari which again was slightly different.

Now on 10.6 we had this problem an abandon API for plugins, that needed to move forward, also into the 64bit world.
So Apple changed things again to either let you run Safari in 32bit using old plugins (busted), or using a modified 64bit plugins api, but
not both at the same time.

The words busted, non-existant, abandon, (implied ugly),  appear quite a few times in the sentences above. Also on every
browser version change, or operating system major version change something was just slightly funky  enough to bring down
the house of cards.

So, time is better spent in getting 64bit squeak working, since there is plenty of hours still needed to fixup all the plugins,
and check that the VM is actually sane...

On 2010-01-11, at 1:59 PM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> On 1/11/2010 10:58 PM, Michael Rueger wrote:
>
>> forget squeak/pharo in the browser.
>
> for those not in the know:
> I'm one of the poor guys who actually spent a *lot* of time making it
> possible ;-)
>
> Michael

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: Presenter and Project will die aren't they ?

Stéphane Ducasse
ok we got convinced :)