[Preview] The Alternative Browser

Goubier Thierry
Hi all,

I'm happy to announce a prototype release of an alternative system
browser for Pharo 2.0, at the following place :

http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Alt-Browser

Beware, it's a preview; but it let you experiment with the following
features :

* Reorganize / built a hierarchy of all packages, categories, classes
and traits of the system.
* Drag and drop to reorganize : work partially.
* Tracks changes in other browsers (not all).
* Has context sensitive / selection sensitive menus
* Has an extensible command system : Other packages may add any level of
menu (and keyboard shortcuts once I've managed to understand that part),
to bring, say, all Nautilus/ OmniBrowser commands.
* Has a minimalistic GUI.
* Keyboard oriented navigation
* Spec-based !

Add the repository in Monticello : http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Alt-Browser.
Open and load Alt-Browser-ThierryGoubier.18.mcz and
Alt-Monticello-Commands-ThierryGoubier.1.mcz

Enjoy! I'll try to make it my work system browser, so it should get at
least a minimum of support for coding and refactoring commands.

Thierry
--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list
Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Re: [Preview] The Alternative Browser

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
Great news :)

I will have a look asap :)

Ben

On Aug 1, 2012, at 2:05 PM, Goubier Thierry wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm happy to announce a prototype release of an alternative system browser for Pharo 2.0, at the following place :
>
> http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Alt-Browser
>
> Beware, it's a preview; but it let you experiment with the following features :
>
> * Reorganize / built a hierarchy of all packages, categories, classes and traits of the system.
> * Drag and drop to reorganize : work partially.
> * Tracks changes in other browsers (not all).
> * Has context sensitive / selection sensitive menus
> * Has an extensible command system : Other packages may add any level of menu (and keyboard shortcuts once I've managed to understand that part), to bring, say, all Nautilus/ OmniBrowser commands.
> * Has a minimalistic GUI.
> * Keyboard oriented navigation
> * Spec-based !

> Add the repository in Monticello : http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Alt-Browser.
> Open and load Alt-Browser-ThierryGoubier.18.mcz and Alt-Monticello-Commands-ThierryGoubier.1.mcz
>
> Enjoy! I'll try to make it my work system browser, so it should get at least a minimum of support for coding and refactoring commands.
>
> Thierry
> --
> Thierry Goubier
> CEA list
> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
> France
> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Re: [Preview] The Alternative Browser

Goubier Thierry
Please do. I do have a few things I don't know how to solve :-(

But, interestingly, sometimes things which looks like bugs in this
browser are really like that in the system (such as overlapping packages?).

Thierry

Le 01/08/2012 14:15, Benjamin a écrit :

> Great news :)
>
> I will have a look asap :)
>
> Ben
>
> On Aug 1, 2012, at 2:05 PM, Goubier Thierry wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm happy to announce a prototype release of an alternative system browser for Pharo 2.0, at the following place :
>>
>> http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Alt-Browser
>>
>> Beware, it's a preview; but it let you experiment with the following features :
>>
>> * Reorganize / built a hierarchy of all packages, categories, classes and traits of the system.
>> * Drag and drop to reorganize : work partially.
>> * Tracks changes in other browsers (not all).
>> * Has context sensitive / selection sensitive menus
>> * Has an extensible command system : Other packages may add any level of menu (and keyboard shortcuts once I've managed to understand that part), to bring, say, all Nautilus/ OmniBrowser commands.
>> * Has a minimalistic GUI.
>> * Keyboard oriented navigation
>> * Spec-based !

>> Add the repository in Monticello : http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Alt-Browser.
>> Open and load Alt-Browser-ThierryGoubier.18.mcz and Alt-Monticello-Commands-ThierryGoubier.1.mcz
>>
>> Enjoy! I'll try to make it my work system browser, so it should get at least a minimum of support for coding and refactoring commands.
>>
>> Thierry
>> --
>> Thierry Goubier
>> CEA list
>> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
>> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
>> France
>> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
France
Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Re: [Preview] The Alternative Browser

thierry do you have a video?

Stef

On Aug 1, 2012, at 2:05 PM, Goubier Thierry wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm happy to announce a prototype release of an alternative system browser for Pharo 2.0, at the following place :
>
> http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Alt-Browser
>
> Beware, it's a preview; but it let you experiment with the following features :
>
> * Reorganize / built a hierarchy of all packages, categories, classes and traits of the system.
> * Drag and drop to reorganize : work partially.
> * Tracks changes in other browsers (not all).
> * Has context sensitive / selection sensitive menus
> * Has an extensible command system : Other packages may add any level of menu (and keyboard shortcuts once I've managed to understand that part), to bring, say, all Nautilus/ OmniBrowser commands.
> * Has a minimalistic GUI.
> * Keyboard oriented navigation
> * Spec-based !

> Add the repository in Monticello : http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Alt-Browser.
> Open and load Alt-Browser-ThierryGoubier.18.mcz and Alt-Monticello-Commands-ThierryGoubier.1.mcz
>
> Enjoy! I'll try to make it my work system browser, so it should get at least a minimum of support for coding and refactoring commands.
>
> Thierry
> --
> Thierry Goubier
> CEA list
> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
> France
> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

RE : [Preview] The Alternative Browser

Goubier Thierry
I'll have to make one, and script a bit. I'll try tomorrow.

A youtube thing would be Ok?

Thierry
De : [hidden email] [[hidden email]] de la part de Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
Date d'envoi : mercredi 1 août 2012 20:11
À : [hidden email]
Objet : Re: [Pharo-project] [Preview] The Alternative Browser

thierry do you have a video?

Stef

On Aug 1, 2012, at 2:05 PM, Goubier Thierry wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm happy to announce a prototype release of an alternative system browser for Pharo 2.0, at the following place :
>
> http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Alt-Browser
>
> Beware, it's a preview; but it let you experiment with the following features :
>
> * Reorganize / built a hierarchy of all packages, categories, classes and traits of the system.
> * Drag and drop to reorganize : work partially.
> * Tracks changes in other browsers (not all).
> * Has context sensitive / selection sensitive menus
> * Has an extensible command system : Other packages may add any level of menu (and keyboard shortcuts once I've managed to understand that part), to bring, say, all Nautilus/ OmniBrowser commands.
> * Has a minimalistic GUI.
> * Keyboard oriented navigation
> * Spec-based !

> Add the repository in Monticello : http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Alt-Browser.
> Open and load Alt-Browser-ThierryGoubier.18.mcz and Alt-Monticello-Commands-ThierryGoubier.1.mcz
>
> Enjoy! I'll try to make it my work system browser, so it should get at least a minimum of support for coding and refactoring commands.
>
> Thierry
> --
> Thierry Goubier
> CEA list
> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
> France
> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Re: RE : [Preview] The Alternative Browser

vonbecmann
yes, pleaseee

De : [hidden email] [[hidden email]] de la part de Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
Date d'envoi : mercredi 1 août 2012 20:11
À : [hidden email]

thierry do you have a video?

Stef

Bernardo E.C.

Re: [Preview] The Alternative Browser

Goubier Thierry
Ok, I made a screencast.

http://ubuntuone.com/70xFLiJjNRbCGdpVGVIE97

It shows mouse-based navigation, buggy drag and drop, as well as
keyboard navigation in the entire system, and a few things that are
interesting to see : an empty System-Text package, for example.

It's done on the base one-click 2.0 image.

Thierry

--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
France
Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Re: [Preview] The Alternative Browser

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks for the time you took. Thierry.
Vidoeos are so good. What would be really nice it to be able to see multiple methods at once and edit them separately.
 Soemtimes I have the impression that you would like to double click on an item and to only see him to avoid to always have to
click on the tree triangle to open categories.
It would be like a zoom in to a class/categories/group.

Stef

On Aug 2, 2012, at 11:21 AM, Goubier Thierry wrote:

> [...]
>>    get at least a minimum of support for coding and refactoring commands.
>>     >
>>     > Thierry
>>     > --
>>     > Thierry Goubier
>>     > CEA list
>>     > Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
>>     > 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
>>     > France
>>     > Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95
>>     >
>>

>> --
>> Bernardo E.C.
>

> --
> Thierry Goubier
> CEA list
> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
> France
> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Thanks.

For editing more than one method, you would need to open multiple browsers (as usual). They all share the same abstract tree, so any change in organisation done in one browser is seen by the others.

I had the vision of merging the tree in the left pane in the Pharo background, and keep only the editing pane (multiple ones), but the tree is taller than it is wider, and the background is wider than taller...

Double-click could also be added, as well as more ways of restricting the tree (focusing the view).

At the moment, it's very close to becoming my system browser of choice. Once I manage to get the shortcuts working...

Thierry
De : [hidden email] [[hidden email]] de la part de Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
Date d'envoi : jeudi 2 août 2012 19:42
À : [hidden email]

> [...]

>>    get at least a minimum of support for coding and refactoring commands.
>>     >
>>     > Thierry
>>     > --
>>     > Thierry Goubier
>>     > CEA list
>>     > Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
>>     > 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
>>     > France
>>     > Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95
>>     >
>>

>> --
>> Bernardo E.C.
>

> --
> Thierry Goubier
> CEA list
> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
> France
> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Re: RE : [Preview] The Alternative Browser

Douglas Brebner

Have you seen Doug Ways Whisker browser? It's a hierarchical browser that can show multiple methods at once which might give you some useful ideas. Some info is at http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/study/courses/OMP/public/software/sqcdrom2/Packages/Tools/Whisker/

Le 03/08/2012 14:14, Douglas Brebner a écrit :

> On 02/08/2012 22:39, GOUBIER Thierry wrote:
>> Thanks.
>>
>> For editing more than one method, you would need to open multiple browsers (as usual). They all share the same abstract tree, so any change in organisation done in one browser is seen by the others.
>>

> Have you seen Doug Ways Whisker browser? It's a hierarchical browser
> that can show multiple methods at once which might give you some useful
> ideas. Some info is at
> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/study/courses/OMP/public/software/sqcdrom2/Packages/Tools/Whisker/

Thanks, it's an interesting take on the idea. In particular, this
browser already has the view source + class comment at the same time, as
well as multiple versions of a method.

I'll keep this one in mind. I'll try to centralize things a bit on the
Alt-Browser wiki.

Thierry