Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Primitive is not executed

Jesús Marí
I am developing a "numpy arrays" like  framework on pharo, I decided to use an Array type depending on the class of its elements (I thought it would be more efficient) i.e if the array contains floats it will be stored in a floatArray but if contains integers, a IntegerArray will be used.
I make an extensive use of use of the method replaceFrom: start to: stop with: replacement startingAt: repStart when I do concat and other methods that imply copying but I've realize that primitive 105 is not executes when I call this method from these kind of arrays but it works if I use a normal Array.
What do you suggest me to do? is it better to use the normal Array for every type of content or is it a bugg? Is FloatArray/IntegerArray more efficient in any way? If not...what is their purpose?

replaceFrom: start to: stop with: replacement startingAt: repStart 
"Primitive. This destructively replaces elements from start to stop in the receiver starting at index, repStart, in the collection, replacement. Answer the receiver. Range checks are performed in the primitive only. Optional. See Object documentation whatIsAPrimitive."
<primitive: 105>
super replaceFrom: start to: stop with: replacement startingAt: repStart
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Primitive is not executed

Stéphane Ducasse
Hello

I am developing a "numpy arrays" like  framework on pharo,

Cool 

I decided to use an Array type depending on the class of its elements (I thought it would be more efficient) i.e if the array contains floats it will be stored in a floatArray but if contains integers, a IntegerArray will be used.

Did you check the WordArray class and friend?

I make an extensive use of use of the method replaceFrom: start to: stop with: replacement startingAt: repStart when I do concat and other methods that imply copying but I've realize that primitive 105 is not executes when I call this method from these kind of arrays but it works if I use a normal Array.
What do you suggest me to do? is it better to use the normal Array for every type of content or is it a bugg? Is FloatArray/IntegerArray more efficient in any way? If not...what is their purpose?

I read the code and I do not understand why this primitives have all the same number. 
May be this is normal. I will ask around. 

"Primitive. This destructively replaces elements from start to stop in the receiver starting at index, repStart, in the collection, replacement. Answer the receiver. Range checks are performed in the primitive only. Optional. See Object documentation whatIsAPrimitive."

S.
--------------------------------------------
Stéphane Ducasse
03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle 
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley, 
Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Reply | Threaded
|

Jesús Marí
Thanks for your response
I've tried in WordArray and ByteArray and same behaviour, primitive 105 fails and executes the code after the primitive call.
It is Pharo 8.0 64 on Mac Os X...I will try on Ubuntu 19.4...as soon as I can. 
the same problem in all of the Collection-Native all of them use primitive 105

Captura de pantalla 2020-06-09 a las 21.20.43.png

El mar., 9 jun. 2020 a las 18:34, Stéphane Ducasse (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hello

Cool 

I decided to use an Array type depending on the class of its elements (I thought it would be more efficient) i.e if the array contains floats it will be stored in a floatArray but if contains integers, a IntegerArray will be used.

I read the code and I do not understand why this primitives have all the same number. 

S.
Stéphane Ducasse
03 59 35 87 52
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley, 
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito
Hi Jesus,

We have looked at it with Pablo. We were wondering too if you could give us a reproducible case for what is not working with you, because we have tested it and it seems to be working (details below).

The array replace primitive is a generic primitive that handles the replace of arrays of objects and arrays of native values (8, 16, 32, 64bit values).
Now, for the primitive to work, both arrays should be of the same type/format.

“All these examples do use the primitive"
a := WordArray withAll: #( 1 2 3 4 ).
b := WordArray withAll: #( 5 6 ).

a replaceFrom: 1 to: 2 with: b startingAt: 1.

a := DoubleWordArray withAll: #( 1 2 3 4 ).
b := DoubleWordArray withAll: #( 5 6 ).

“All these examples do not use the primitive"
b := ByteArray withAll: #( 5 6 ).

b := Array withAll: #( 5 6 ).

If you tell us a bit more we could probably be of more help.
Also, we were looking for you in discord to ask you questions, are you there?
Guille

El 9 jun 2020, a las 21:31, Jesus Mari Aguirre <[hidden email]> escribió:

Thanks for your response
I've tried in WordArray and ByteArray and same behaviour, primitive 105 fails and executes the code after the primitive call.

<Captura de pantalla 2020-06-09 a las 21.20.43.png>

Hello

Cool 

S.
Stéphane Ducasse
03 59 35 87 52
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley, 
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Reply | Threaded
|

Jesús Marí
Eso es, Guille!!
that was the problem, both arrays should be of the same type/format, I tried the method calling a replaceFrom: 1 to: 2 with: #(1 2 3) startingAt: 1. so I was passing an Array object instead, so I'm doing the right thing but wrong testing! Thanks a lot! 
I'm not on Discord but I could activate an account if it is more comfortable to you...

El mié., 10 jun. 2020 a las 10:46, Guillermo Polito (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hi Jesus,

We have looked at it with Pablo. We were wondering too if you could give us a reproducible case for what is not working with you, because we have tested it and it seems to be working (details below).

The array replace primitive is a generic primitive that handles the replace of arrays of objects and arrays of native values (8, 16, 32, 64bit values).

Guille

Thanks for your response

Hello

Cool 

S.
Stéphane Ducasse
03 59 35 87 52
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley, 
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
In reply to this post by Guillermo Polito
Thanks a lot Guille and Pablo :)

On 10 Jun 2020, at 10:45, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Jesus,

Guille

Thanks for your response

Hello

Cool 

S.
Stéphane Ducasse
03 59 35 87 52
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,