PrimitiveOSError class name

alistairgrant

Hi Eliot,

I'm just preparing a fogbugz issue and PR to add PrimitiveOSError to
Pharo and was wondering about the class name.

As you say in the class comments, errorName is typically set to
#'operating system error' (I haven't seen anything else), which makes
the class name and errorName somewhat redundant.

What do you think of renaming the class to PrimitiveError, which will
make it a bit more general and extensible in future?

Thanks,
Alistair

Re: PrimitiveOSError class name

Eliot Miranda-2

> On Jan 7, 2018, at 1:49 AM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi Eliot,
>
> I'm just preparing a fogbugz issue and PR to add PrimitiveOSError to
> Pharo and was wondering about the class name.
>
> As you say in the class comments, errorName is typically set to
> #'operating system error' (I haven't seen anything else), which makes
> the class name and errorName somewhat redundant.
>
> What do you think of renaming the class to PrimitiveError, which will
> make it a bit more general and extensible in future?

I have no objection.  Will you make it so in trunk?  If so, please do.

On 7 January 2018 at 18:41, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Jan 7, 2018, at 1:49 AM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Hi Eliot,
>>
>> I'm just preparing a fogbugz issue and PR to add PrimitiveOSError to
>> Pharo and was wondering about the class name.
>>
>> As you say in the class comments, errorName is typically set to
>> #'operating system error' (I haven't seen anything else), which makes
>> the class name and errorName somewhat redundant.
>>
>> What do you think of renaming the class to PrimitiveError, which will
>> make it a bit more general and extensible in future?
>
> I have no objection.  Will you make it so in trunk?  If so, please do.

Sure.  I've updated both my Pharo and Squeak development images.  All
the tests pass in Pharo.  There two failures in Squeak that I want to
make sure aren't related.

Cheers,
Alistair

Re: PrimitiveOSError class name

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Alistair,

    are you mostly using Pharo or is Squeak also interesting enough for you to want to be a trunk committer?  I think the "process" is that an existing trunk committer (in this case, me) asks on the mailing list and if no one objects an admin adds you via the repository web interface.

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

> On Jan 7, 2018, at 11:18 PM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi Eliot,
>
>> On 7 January 2018 at 18:41, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jan 7, 2018, at 1:49 AM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi Eliot,
>>>
>>> I'm just preparing a fogbugz issue and PR to add PrimitiveOSError to
>>> Pharo and was wondering about the class name.
>>>
>>> As you say in the class comments, errorName is typically set to
>>> #'operating system error' (I haven't seen anything else), which makes
>>> the class name and errorName somewhat redundant.
>>>
>>> What do you think of renaming the class to PrimitiveError, which will
>>> make it a bit more general and extensible in future?
>>
>> I have no objection.  Will you make it so in trunk?  If so, please do.
>
> Sure.  I've updated both my Pharo and Squeak development images.  All
> the tests pass in Pharo.  There two failures in Squeak that I want to
> make sure aren't related.
>
> Cheers,
> Alistair

Re: PrimitiveOSError class name

Levente Uzonyi

Squeak has the Inbox repository for that purpose.

Levente

On 8 January 2018 at 16:48, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Alistair,
>
>     are you mostly using Pharo or is Squeak also interesting enough for you to want to be a trunk committer?  I think the "process" is that an existing trunk committer (in this case, me) asks on the mailing list and if no one objects an admin adds you via the repository web interface.

I'm mostly using Pharo, but am also happy to contribute to Squeak.  If
it will save you some time feel free to add me as a contributor,
otherwise I'l continue to submit any changes / additions as an
occasional contributor.

Cheers,
Alistair