classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Print "close" question

Louis LaBrunda
Hi All,

I'm using Totally Objects Visibility print package to print some stuff from VA.  For testing, I'm printing to a PDF printer driver, I don't think that should matter.

The first job seems to go to the PDF printer driver (and a PDF reader opens to show the file) but the second seems to hang in the ether.  I'm testing this mostly in the VA development environment, when I exit VA, the second job comes back to life but doesn't have any data in it.  I expect I need to send some kind of close message but I can't figure out what to send.

I have contacted Dave Pennington, the author of Visibility, about this and expect to hear for him soon but in the mean time I'm posting the question here.

Lou

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/f7b8b444-a3ae-495a-b4e4-1f172354c784%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Print "close" question

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Everybody,

I fixed the print problem.  A method (in TOB Visibility) was being called after the printer shell was closed/destroyed.  I don't know why.  Actually I don't know how it is ever called but it is.  I put code in to test for the shell being destroyed and exit the method.

The method ends pages and starts new pages if needed and ends the job when all pages are done.  When it is called after the job has ended and the shell destroyed, it thinks it is at the beginning and tries to end and then start new pages.  When a new "real" print job starts, things are messed up.

I can see where the call back is added for this method but don't see where the event is signaled.  So, I can't see why it is signaled after the job is closed and the shell destroyed.  Anyway, testing to see if the shell is destroyed and jumping around the code fixes the problem.

Lou

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 2:36:23 PM UTC-4, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi All,

I'm using Totally Objects Visibility print package to print some stuff from VA.  For testing, I'm printing to a PDF printer driver, I don't think that should matter.

The first job seems to go to the PDF printer driver (and a PDF reader opens to show the file) but the second seems to hang in the ether.  I'm testing this mostly in the VA development environment, when I exit VA, the second job comes back to life but doesn't have any data in it.  I expect I need to send some kind of close message but I can't figure out what to send.

I have contacted Dave Pennington, the author of Visibility, about this and expect to hear for him soon but in the mean time I'm posting the question here.

Lou

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/11a9e673-80b9-469f-aa3a-8828ce9f9cb6%40googlegroups.com.