Printing???

Guido Stepken
I would like to know, how i print on all available platforms ....

PS, EPS output ... hmmm, doesn't really work ...

Apple uses CUPS, LINUX uses CUPS, Windows .... GDI and CUPS possible ...

How can i generate e.g. PDF output and send that platform independent to
printer?

tnx in advance, Guido Stepken

Re: Printing???

Schwab,Wilhelm K
This is something that has my attention as a future stumbling block.  I don't share your concern for Windows, nor do I expect to make it consistent with unix-like systems.  However, printing is something that Windows does fairly well, and I will eventually need to replace that functionality; please let us know what you find.

Re generating pdf files, have a look at

  http://seaside.st/documentation/pdfs

Bill

Re: Printing???

Michael Rueger-6
On 1/7/2010 12:10 PM, Guido Stepken wrote:
> I would like to know, how i print on all available platforms ....
>
> PS, EPS output ... hmmm, doesn't really work ...
>
> Apple uses CUPS, LINUX uses CUPS, Windows .... GDI and CUPS possible ...
>
> How can i generate e.g. PDF output and send that platform independent to
> printer?

Rome has a (cairo)pdf backend and John can provide the magic
incantations to print this on the Mac. On Windows and *ix you probably
need a few ffi calls or OSProcess.

Michael

cbc

Re: Printing???

cbc
If you look at TextPrinter, there is already support for cross
platform printing built in.  Not necessarily as fully featured as I'd
like, but it does work.

At it's core, it allows for seding a form to a printer, so you should
be able to send anything that you can compose in Pharo directly to the
printer.  That call is:

Form>>primPrintHScale:vScale:landscape:

I've used it fairly successfully in the past, although I find that you
definitely need the form to be in the deepest display depth (32) to
get the coloring right (or even black and white, for that matter).

-Chris

Re: Printing???

Michael Rueger-6
On 1/8/2010 6:45 PM, Chris Cunningham wrote:

> I've used it fairly successfully in the past, although I find that you
> definitely need the form to be in the deepest display depth (32) to
> get the coloring right (or even black and white, for that matter).

But you need a form with the resolution you want to print in.

Which for a full page creates a huge amount of data and is almost always
the wrong resolution for a particular printer anyways.

Michael

Re: Printing???

Gary Chambers-4
We have had reasonable success with PostScript output (PostScriptCanvas in
Squeak) and a heavily modified/fixed SPDF.

Regards, Gary