Printing?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I have a potential application for Seaside, but in our electronic world,
they want to print.  Sending a programmatically generated pdf document
back to the browser should suffice - I think.  My first thought is to do
that via LaTeX; generate the source and then (perhaps on Linux) pipe it
into tex2pdf or whatever it's called, and then route that back to the
browser through Seaside and OS Process.

Am I dreaming?  Is there a better way?

BTW, printing the browser output will very likely NOT do the job.  There
will be much hand wringing over notations such as pg n of N, headers
appearing on each page, etc.  It is a medical application, and one has
to be very careful about "lost" pages getting into the wrong patient's
chart.  You would probably not what your sister getting your dad's
medications, right.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

Re: Printing?

Stephan Eggermont-3
Using LaTeX works fine. I generate documents all the time,
also including dot graphics. If you know your way around
LaTeX (fonts fun) it is the fastest way to get going.

Other options are:
- XSL-FO;
- The Haru PDF dll for really low-level work.

Stephan

Re: Printing?

Rick Flower
What about Simberon Reports?  There's a VW version but I'm not
sure if a Squeak version exists or not..  I've never used it but am
planning
on playing with it later this year..

-- Rick

On Aug 8, 2008, at 7:55 AM, Bill Schwab wrote:

> I have a potential application for Seaside, but in our electronic
> world,
> they want to print.  Sending a programmatically generated pdf document
> back to the browser should suffice - I think.  My first thought is
> to do
> that via LaTeX; generate the source and then (perhaps on Linux) pipe
> it
> into tex2pdf or whatever it's called, and then route that back to the
> browser through Seaside and OS Process.
>
> Am I dreaming?  Is there a better way?
>
> BTW, printing the browser output will very likely NOT do the job.
> There
> will be much hand wringing over notations such as pg n of N, headers
> appearing on each page, etc.  It is a medical application, and one has
> to be very careful about "lost" pages getting into the wrong patient's
> chart.  You would probably not what your sister getting your dad's
> medications, right.
>
> Bill
>

> Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
> University of Florida
> Department of Anesthesiology
> PO Box 100254
> Gainesville, FL 32610-0254
>
> Email: [hidden email]
> Tel: (352) 846-1285
> FAX: (352) 392-7029

Re: Printing?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: [Seaside] Printing?

PDFReactor, we feed it seaside generated xhtml and it works great.

Cheers!

-Boris (via BlackBerry)

What about Simberon Reports?  There's a VW version but I'm not
sure if a Squeak version exists or not..  I've never used it but am
planning
on playing with it later this year..

-- Rick

On Aug 8, 2008, at 7:55 AM, Bill Schwab wrote:

> I have a potential application for Seaside, but in our electronic
> world,
> they want to print.  Sending a programmatically generated pdf document
> back to the browser should suffice - I think.  My first thought is
> to do
> that via LaTeX; generate the source and then (perhaps on Linux) pipe
> it
> into tex2pdf or whatever it's called, and then route that back to the
> browser through Seaside and OS Process.
>
> Am I dreaming?  Is there a better way?
>
> BTW, printing the browser output will very likely NOT do the job.
> There
> will be much hand wringing over notations such as pg n of N, headers
> appearing on each page, etc.  It is a medical application, and one has
> to be very careful about "lost" pages getting into the wrong patient's
> chart.  You would probably not what your sister getting your dad's
> medications, right.
>
> Bill
>

> Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
> University of Florida
> Department of Anesthesiology
> PO Box 100254
> Gainesville, FL 32610-0254
>
> Email: [hidden email]
> Tel: (352) 846-1285
> FAX: (352) 392-7029

Re: Printing?

davidbuck
For generating a document on the server and transferring it to the
client running a web browser, PDF format would be better than Simberon
Reports.  The latter draws the reports onto bitmaps and expects to be
able to send them directly to the printer.

David Buck

Richard E. Flower wrote:

> What about Simberon Reports?  There's a VW version but I'm not
> sure if a Squeak version exists or not..  I've never used it but am
> planning
> on playing with it later this year..
>
> -- Rick
>
> On Aug 8, 2008, at 7:55 AM, Bill Schwab wrote:
>
>> I have a potential application for Seaside, but in our electronic world,
>> they want to print.  Sending a programmatically generated pdf document
>> back to the browser should suffice - I think.  My first thought is to do
>> that via LaTeX; generate the source and then (perhaps on Linux) pipe it
>> into tex2pdf or whatever it's called, and then route that back to the
>> browser through Seaside and OS Process.
>>
>> Am I dreaming?  Is there a better way?
>>
>> BTW, printing the browser output will very likely NOT do the job.  There
>> will be much hand wringing over notations such as pg n of N, headers
>> appearing on each page, etc.  It is a medical application, and one has
>> to be very careful about "lost" pages getting into the wrong patient's
>> chart.  You would probably not what your sister getting your dad's
>> medications, right.
>>
>> Bill
>>

>> Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
>> University of Florida
>> Department of Anesthesiology
>> PO Box 100254
>> Gainesville, FL 32610-0254
>>
>> Email: [hidden email]
>> Tel: (352) 846-1285
>> FAX: (352) 392-7029

Re: Printing?

Rick Flower
Thanks David -- I didn't know that.. I was hoping it could spit out a
PDF report possibly.. (yes, I've not looked
into it very deeply obviously!)..

-- Rick

On Aug 8, 2008, at 10:58 AM, David Buck wrote:

> For generating a document on the server and transferring it to the
> client running a web browser, PDF format would be better than
> Simberon Reports.  The latter draws the reports onto bitmaps and
> expects to be able to send them directly to the printer.
>
> David Buck
>
> Richard E. Flower wrote:
>> What about Simberon Reports?  There's a VW version but I'm not
>> sure if a Squeak version exists or not..  I've never used it but am
>> planning
>> on playing with it later this year..
>>
>> -- Rick
>>
>> On Aug 8, 2008, at 7:55 AM, Bill Schwab wrote:
>>
>>> I have a potential application for Seaside, but in our electronic
>>> world,
>>> they want to print.  Sending a programmatically generated pdf
>>> document
>>> back to the browser should suffice - I think.  My first thought is
>>> to do
>>> that via LaTeX; generate the source and then (perhaps on Linux)
>>> pipe it
>>> into tex2pdf or whatever it's called, and then route that back to
>>> the
>>> browser through Seaside and OS Process.
>>>
>>> Am I dreaming?  Is there a better way?
>>>
>>> BTW, printing the browser output will very likely NOT do the job.
>>> There
>>> will be much hand wringing over notations such as pg n of N, headers
>>> appearing on each page, etc.  It is a medical application, and one
>>> has
>>> to be very careful about "lost" pages getting into the wrong
>>> patient's
>>> chart.  You would probably not what your sister getting your dad's
>>> medications, right.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>

>>> Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
>>> University of Florida
>>> Department of Anesthesiology
>>> PO Box 100254
>>> Gainesville, FL 32610-0254
>>>
>>> Email: [hidden email]
>>> Tel: (352) 846-1285
>>> FAX: (352) 392-7029

Re: Printing?

kaveman
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Printing?

Lukas Renggli
Don't forget to check out the archive. This is a question that comes
up once in a while and dozens of possibilities have been discussed and
listed here in the mailing-list. It would be good if somebody could
add a summary to the FAQ.

Lukas

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch