Problem Installing 9.0 32 bit

Long Haired David
Hi there
I am upgrading one of my client's machines from 8.6.3 but am having some trouble.

First I tried installing it, expecting it to upgrade the 8.6.3 but when it had finished the Environments Startup was still looking for 8.6.3 but now couldn't find it.

After a couple of goes, I removed all of the environment startups (there were now two and neither worked) and renamed all of the exiting fi;es - Documents/Instantiation, Program Files and Program data - so there was nothing to get in the way.

I then did a clean install of 9.0 32 bit and when trying to run the Environment startup, got the following window:

The normal Dev Image wasn't there at all.

I have tried this a couple of times but I am now completely lost as to what to do next.

I am confused because this installed fine on my own machines!

Any one have any ideas please?

David Pennington

Totally Objects.

David
Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: Problem Installing 9.0 32 bit

jtuchel
David,

not that I really have an idea, but what happens if you create the requested path?

Joachim

Am Donnerstag, 8. Februar 2018 14:28:26 UTC+1 schrieb Totally Objects:
[...]

Bob Brodd
Hi Dave,

Try  renaming or deleting the Environments.dmp file located in \Users\<userid>\AppData\Roaming\Instantiations\VA Smalltalk and see if it comes up.

So you still have 8.6.3 installed and then installed 9.0 as well, or did you uninstall 8.6.3?

Thanks,
Bob

On Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 8:28:26 AM UTC-5, Totally Objects wrote:
[...]

I doesn't matter what I do - there is just nothing in the image directory. Also, 8.6.3. image has gone as well. Luckily I have  backups. My question really is not how to rename anything but why is this happening as I have a clean machine that has only had 8.6.3. installed last year and then not touched - it is intended as a secure code repository for the company's various Smalltalk developments. The very first thing that happened was that the environments window was left pointing only at 8.6.3 after installing 9.0 and now I can't get anything to install an image directory.

David.

P.S. I will have another go tomorrow morning (I am in the UK and the traget computer is in the US so we have time differences to cope with.

Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: Problem Installing 9.0 32 bit

Bob Brodd
Hi David,

I can't explain the disappearance of your Dev Image folder from an Environments perspective.  It will only delete a dev image folder and its files if a user requests to do so via the Delete selected environment button, and then only if the user checks the box agreeing to delete the files and folders along with the environment definition.   Installing/Uninstalling VASmalltalk also does not touch the files created by Environments.

When upgrading to 9.0, you should  stop using the pre-9.0 Environments in favor of the 9.0x## version as the installation folder structure has changed and older Environments will find that the 9.0 installation is invalid. The new Environments can detect older installations. I would proceed as follows, given you have backups of your image folders:

1) Reinstantiate your backed up dev image folders into the default location.

2) Start the 9.0x## version of Environments.

3) Assuming you did not delete/rename your Environments.dmp file mentioned in the previous post, you should be able to startup your existing environments. You should also be able to create 9.0 dev images.

4) If one or more of the environments are missing from the Environments tool, add new ones with exactly the same name as the dev image folder .  Environments will recognize that the folder already exists and will prompt to see if you just want to import the environment from the date in the files.

If none of this works, try copying the Environments.dmp file somewhere else so that Environments can start clean, then:

1)  Start the 9.0 version of Environments.

2)  Add the existing 8.6.3 installation to the known installations by pressing the System settings button, then the Installations button.

3) Press Done until back to the main screen.

4) Follow step #4 above.

Here to help ... let me know how it goes.
Thanks,
Bob

On Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 1:22:05 PM UTC-5, Totally Objects wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the detailed response. Actually, we are recovering back to a clean version of the server as of a week ago (I haven't touched the server for a few months so that will get me back where I started).

I will have a server that has 8.6.3 installed and nothing else. On my server here, I just installed 9.0 64bit and it created a new 9.0 without touching the 8.6.3. However, that is not what I want to do as I have all the time in the world to sort that out whilst when working for someone else, I need to be a bit snappy. - hence,I would like the 9.0 32bit to upgrade 8.6.3 if possible so I don't have to do a manual transfer of all of the Config maps and applications (with all the opportunity for errors).

Will I be OK doing that, because that was what failed last time.
David

Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: Problem Installing 9.0 32 bit

Bob Brodd
Since 9.0 is a major release, it does not follow the normal upgrade process of say 8.6.1->8.6.2->8.6.3.  In fact, moving forward, we are getting away from stacking minor releases on top of each other.  The 9.0 library will be installed in a separate (9.0) folder and you will need to use the Importer tool to move the new 9.0 code into your existing manager.  See http://www.instantiations.com/docs/90/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=mi/migtl010.html

Moving the code from your new 9.0 manager into your existing one is safe since there are no open editions in a new manager.  If you choose to go the other way, you will need to make sure you version all code that you want brought over.

Bob

On Feb 9, 2018, at 3:33 PM, Totally Objects <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Richard Sargent
Administrator
 In fact, moving forward, we are getting away from stacking minor releases on top of each other.

Excellent! ('nough said)

I suggest having the installer offer two options for consolidating repositories.
1) As you propose, which is a reasonable approach, would offer to import a prior repository to the new one.
2) My usual practice is to have an everything.dat which I would like to have the installer capable of importing the new repository into.

So, into or from the new version's repository from or into another repository (defaulted to the most recent already installed version). Mapping software has a nice feature that would help here, namely a button that switches origin with destination.

Since 9.0 is a major release, it does not follow the normal upgrade process of say 8.6.1->8.6.2->8.6.3.  In fact, moving forward, we are getting away from stacking minor releases on top of each other.  The 9.0 library will be installed in a separate (9.0) folder and you will need to use the Importer tool to move the new 9.0 code into your existing manager.  See <a href="http://www.instantiations.com/docs/90/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=mi/migtl010.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.instantiations.com%2Fdocs%2F90%2Fwwhelp%2Fwwhimpl%2Fjs%2Fhtml%2Fwwhelp.htm%23href%3Dmi%2Fmigtl010.html\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFYdQCVREo9VCwjISIL2rqSDqempw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.instantiations.com%2Fdocs%2F90%2Fwwhelp%2Fwwhimpl%2Fjs%2Fhtml%2Fwwhelp.htm%23href%3Dmi%2Fmigtl010.html\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFYdQCVREo9VCwjISIL2rqSDqempw&#39;;return true;">http://www.instantiations.com/docs/90/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=mi/migtl010.html

On Feb 9, 2018, at 3:33 PM, Totally Objects <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="GUFymQw0CAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">da...@...> wrote: