Problem in installing Pharo

Mark Neagu

Hi!

I got a problem trying to install Pharo 5.0 despite I downloaded the whole thing as specified (I believe) and unziped it properly.

Could someone help me please?

I'm not a beginner in programming, but I'm retired for a while and I'm no longer surrounded by knowledgeable colleagues.

Regards,

Mark

Re: Problem in installing Pharo

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi Mark,

Welcome !

First off, the following book (free PDF download) is the go-to guide for beginners. It includes some sections on installing Pharo.

http://files.pharo.org/books/updated-pharo-by-example/

http://books.pharo.org

If you continue to have problems, then please gives us more details. What URL did you download from, what platform are you on, what did you exactly try, what exactly went wrong ?

Regards,

Sven

> On 9 Feb 2017, at 17:02, Mark Neagu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> I got a problem trying to install Pharo 5.0 despite I downloaded the whole thing as specified (I believe) and unziped it properly.
>
> Could someone help me please?
>
> I'm not a beginner in programming, but I'm retired for a while and I'm no longer surrounded by knowledgeable colleagues.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark

Re: Problem in installing Pharo

kilon.alios
if you are on macos or linux you can use this command to download the stable version

curl get.pharo.org | bash

I use this all the time and it never fails, unless the server is down or I do not have an internet connection

you can execute Pharo running

./pharo-ui Pharo.image

By the way Pharo needs no installation because its self reliant so it can be run from a folder directly. We do have however an installer for Windows to make things simpler for those not familiar with the terminal.

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 6:03 PM Mark Neagu <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi!

I got a problem trying to install Pharo 5.0 despite I downloaded the whole thing as specified (I believe) and unziped it properly.

Could someone help me please?

I'm not a beginner in programming, but I'm retired for a while and I'm no longer surrounded by knowledgeable colleagues.

Regards,

Mark

Re: Problem in installing Pharo

Ben Coman
Hi Mark,
What platform are you on?
cheers -ben

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 1:09 AM, Dimitris Chloupis
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> if you are on macos or linux you can use this command to download the stable
> version
>
> curl get.pharo.org | bash
>

> I use this all the time and it never fails, unless the server is down or I
> do not have an internet connection
>
> you can execute Pharo running
>
> ./pharo-ui Pharo.image
>
> By the way Pharo needs no installation because its self reliant so it can be
> run from a folder directly. We do have however an installer for Windows to
> make things simpler for those not familiar with the terminal.
>
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 6:03 PM Mark Neagu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I got a problem trying to install Pharo 5.0 despite I downloaded the whole
>> thing as specified (I believe) and unziped it properly.
>>
>> Could someone help me please?
>>
>> I'm not a beginner in programming, but I'm retired for a while and I'm no
>> longer surrounded by knowledgeable colleagues.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mark

Re: Problem in installing Pharo

Mark Neagu

Hi Ben,

I'm on Windows.

Regards,

Mark

<[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Mark

Re: Problem in installing Pharo

Nicole de Graaf
Hi Mark,

can you make you problem more specific.

Can you not start or do you crash  after start?

You don’t need to install the Pharo image only copy over into a “favoured” directory.

I downloaded the  http://pharo.org/download and paste it into a directory and it working well on my Win 7 environment without any pharo installation yet.

Regards,
Nic