Problem installing 9.0 on MacMini M1

Long Haired David
Hi everyone. It is your favourite newbie speaking :-)

I have now got a new M1 MacMini which I want to configure up as a server for my Seaside apps.

So far, I have found that the Mac mini doesn’t have wget or brew installed! I have sorted wget but not brew.

Secondly, I have transferred all of my 9.0 stuff across but when I try and execute both paharo-ui or pharo (as terminal scripts) they both fail as they say that the “Paharo” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the bin.

I can open Pharo 9.0 directly but it tells me that the VM is too old for this image.

Can anyone help me please? (In words that I can understand:-)

David
David
Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: Problem installing 9.0 on MacMini M1

Tim Mackinnon
Worth saying that while Brew is handy on a mac (and avoid installing it as a sudo user) - you shouldn't need it do anything with Pharo either with with the launcher (graphical) or via the console (command line).

Its worth checking you have properly read the download instructions on pharo.org - for command line it does say use "curl" and "wget if curl not available".

For your pharo damaged question - have you tried just creating a fresh directory, cd'ing into it and then running the command line instructions for a fresh install. You can then make sure sure pharo works correctly command line - and if so, this is then possibly a 32 vs 64 bit image difference. You could investigate this - or simply create a new image and install your code into it as a fresh install - which might be better anyway, while your getting things sorted.

Others may have more tips for you.

Tim

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021, at 5:58 PM, Rob Sayers wrote:
[...]

I transferred both of my images ( 8 and 9) across and put them in the images directory of a new Pharo Launcher. I now have 9.0 working on the Mac mini but it is still telling me that my VM is out of date. I have opened the VM window and updated both the 8 and 9 vm but I still get the message. I am not convinced that I have an M1 VM.

How do I sort this. I am nearly there.

--

David
Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: Problem installing 9.0 on MacMini M1

Long Haired David
I am nearly there. I sorted out the curl/wget business and managed to get the new VM. I have installed it and everything is very quick so I am pleased.

However there are two things I am not sure of.

1. Once I close this down, I am not confident of finding it again (smile).

2. I am back with the Path issue that I mentioned a while ago. Instead of (FileSystem disk workingDirectory) being set at the Pharo level it is now set at the very top of the tree. Is this something that I am going to have to live with our can I reconfigure the startup to make it as it was?

David