Problem installing Magma

Alan Rodas
Hello folks

I seem to have some trouble trying to install Magma on a fresh Pharo 1.2.1 image (both cogVM and Squeak)

steps I follow were

open the external project workspace by executing

DEVImageWorkspaces openExternalProjectWorkspace

run

Gofer new
squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
package: 'ConfigurationOfMagma';
load.

as suggested by the workspace, and then

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagma) project latestVersion) load

also as said in the workspace.
I ended up with an error window saying

MetacelloProjectSpecLoadError: No version found for "4.4.0" of ConfigurationOfOSProcess

Judging for the error I'm guessing that OSProcess 4.4.0 is not on the MetacelloRepository but nothing indicates an alternative way to install it.

By the way, everything installs fine if I try to install Magma using the file provided for Pharo 1.2 in Magma's page (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2657). And tests suggest everything is running normally.

So, don''t know if this is a bug, or expected behavior (Surely does not seem like one). If it is a bug, where should I report it (Pharo's, Magma's, MetacelloRepository admins, cuz its seems a MetacelloRepository problem to me)

Cheers
Alan Rodas Bonjour

Re: Problem installing Magma

Guillermo Polito
Alan, did you try downloading the stable version?

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagma) project version: #stable) load

because latest version can be in development or unstable...

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Alan Rodas <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yup, tried it, but the problem still occurs.

I didn't know that latest version could be unstable or development version, shouldn't the one click image provides an easy way for newcomers to try pharo and it's associated projects. Suggesting an installation instruction that may provide a non stable version of a tool doesn't seem a good choice to me.
Of course, one may argue that also people that wants to live on the edge may want to install the tool in its development or unstable releases. But you may also use loadDevelopment or loadBleedingEdge instead of load, and that is easier to know or find out for a more experienced developer than a newcomer.
Just a though thou.

Cheers
Alan Rodas Bonjour

Re: Problem installing Magma

Alan Rodas
I would really love to, and I promised myself that I will as soon as I make myself some time.

Unfortunately there still much I would love to test and learn in Pharo before getting myself dirty. Mariano's blog about VM and Morphic are some of my pending accounts. So maybe after the winter holidays (Argentina's winter) if I have some time, i will start doing some more things in Pharo.

Collaborating a little bit on PBE Spanish translation thou. Trying to give my 2 cents back to the community.

Back to the problem: I checked in the MetacelloRepository for OSProcess, and found out that latest version is 4.4.2. So I downloaded the ConfigurationOfMagma from MetacelloRepository for Pharo 1.2...but then I found out that I dont understand anything about Metacello or how it works...so even if I tried to found a reference for OSProcess 4.4.0, i was not able to find it.
Metacello added to my pending accounts list. Geez... every time it gets larger and larger.

Cheers.
Alan Rodas Bonjour

Re: Problem installing Magma

Mariano Martinez Peck
Alan we have reported this several times......

it is a TYPO. Can someone fix it ?

thanks

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 6:08 AM, Alan Rodas <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Problem installing Magma

Stéphane Ducasse
what should be done?
I could not get it

Stef

On Jun 9, 2011, at 10:10 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Alan we have reported this several times......
>
> it is a TYPO. Can someone fix it ?
>
> thanks
>
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 6:08 AM, Alan Rodas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would really love to, and I promised myself that I will as soon as I make myself some time.
>
> Unfortunately there still much I would love to test and learn in Pharo before getting myself dirty. Mariano's blog about VM and Morphic are some of my pending accounts. So maybe after the winter holidays (Argentina's winter) if I have some time, i will start doing some more things in Pharo.
>
> Collaborating a little bit on PBE Spanish translation thou. Trying to give my 2 cents back to the community.
>

> Back to the problem: I checked in the MetacelloRepository for OSProcess, and found out that latest version is 4.4.2. So I downloaded the ConfigurationOfMagma from MetacelloRepository for Pharo 1.2...but then I found out that I dont understand anything about Metacello or how it works...so even if I tried to found a reference for OSProcess 4.4.0, i was not able to find it.
> Metacello added to my pending accounts list. Geez... every time it gets larger and larger.
>

> Cheers.
> --
> Alan Rodas Bonjour
>

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Problem installing Magma

Alan Rodas
Sorry Mariano, didn't catch you there.
Do you mean a typo in this sentence?

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagma) project latestVersion) load

beacause even if I try to use the stable version, it still does not work. So

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagma) project version: #stable) load

gives the same result.

So I don't get where the typo is, although you may be refering to a typo somewhere else.

Cheers
Alan Rodas Bonjour

Re: Problem installing Magma

Guillermo Polito
Nope, the typo is in the ConfigurationOfMagma class, which is looking for a version 4.4.0 of OSProcess, which actually does not exist :/.
I'll see if I can fix it in a while.

Guille

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Alan Rodas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry Mariano, didn't catch you there.
Do you mean a typo in this sentence?

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagma) project latestVersion) load

beacause even if I try to use the stable version, it still does not work. So

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagma) project version: #stable) load

gives the same result.

So I don't get where the typo is, although you may be refering to a typo somewhere else.

Cheers
--
Alan Rodas Bonjour

Re: Problem installing Magma

Mariano Martinez Peck
ConfigurationOfOSProcess (used by Magma) was wrong:

version440: spec
    <version: '4.4.2' imports: #('4.4-baseline' )>

    spec for: #'common' do: [
        spec blessing: #'release'.
        spec description: 'Version 4.4.2'.
        spec author: 'MiguelCoba'.
        spec timestamp: '5/29/2011 12:34'.
        spec
            package: 'OSProcess' with: 'OSProcess-dtl.61';
            package: 'OSProcess-Tests' with: 'OSProcess-Tests-dtl.4'. ].

Now it seems to be fixed:

Name: ConfigurationOfOSProcess-mt.16
Author: mt
Time: 9 June 2011, 1:28:23.772 pm
UUID: 7155a747-e91a-194e-9030-8e211f37b1a9
Ancestors: ConfigurationOfOSProcess-AdrienBarreau.15

- recovered 4.4.0
- added 4.4.2 as stable (like it was in AdrienBarreau.15 in modified #version440)
reason: to not break dependent projects assumptions (i.e., version 4.4.0 could not be found anymore)