Problem loading JNIPort

Matthias Junker-2
Hi,

i was trying to load JNIPort as described on squeaksource on my Macbook (OS X 10.6.6). I downloaded the latest Pharo 1.2 from Hudson (https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Pharo/job/Pharo%201.2/) and opened it using SqueakVM 5.8b12. I was able to load Alien using the following command:

Gofer it
	squeaksource:'MetacelloRepository' ;
	package: 'ConfigurationOfAlien';
	load.

((Smalltalk globals classNamed: 'ConfigurationOfAlien')
	project version: 'Pharo 1.2')
		load: 'Core'; load: 'LibC
Then i loaded the JNIPort Configuration:
Gofer it
		squeaksource: 'JNIPort';
		package: 'ConfigurationOfJNIPort';
		load.
But when i load the actual project with this:
	ConfigurationOfJNIPort project latestVersion load
I get the following error in the class StandardLibInterface(AlienLibrary)>>load
libraryName: 	'/System/Library/Frameworks/System.framework/System'
errorCode: 	#'not found'
When i check on the file system i find a symbolic link which points to /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (which also exists there).

Any hints to what i'm doing wrong?

Cheers,
Matt

Re: Problem loading JNIPort

Tudor Girba
Hi Matthias,

Thanks for reporting. I forwarded the message to the Pharo mailing list as well.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Doru

On 14 Feb 2011, at 12:10, Matthias Junker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i was trying to load JNIPort as described on squeaksource on my Macbook (OS X 10.6.6). I downloaded the latest Pharo 1.2 from Hudson (https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Pharo/job/Pharo%201.2/) and opened it using SqueakVM 5.8b12. I was able to load Alien using the following command:
>
> Gofer it
> squeaksource:'MetacelloRepository' ;
> package: 'ConfigurationOfAlien';
> load.
>
> ((Smalltalk globals classNamed: 'ConfigurationOfAlien')
> project version: 'Pharo 1.2')
> load: 'Core'; load: 'LibC
>
> Then i loaded the JNIPort Configuration:
> Gofer it
> squeaksource: 'JNIPort';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfJNIPort';
> load.
>
> But when i load the actual project with this:
> ConfigurationOfJNIPort project latestVersion load
> I get the following error in the class StandardLibInterface(AlienLibrary)>>load
> libraryName: '/System/Library/Frameworks/System.framework/System'
> errorCode: #'not found'
>
> When i check on the file system i find a symbolic link which points to /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (which also exists there).
>
> Any hints to what i'm doing wrong?
>
> Cheers,
> Matt

www.tudorgirba.com

"In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Re: Problem loading JNIPort

Tudor Girba
Hi Cyrille,

Did you manage to get JNIPort working on Pharo 1.2?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"When people care, great things can happen."

Re: Problem loading JNIPort

Matthias Junker-2
Hey,
i got one step further by using Squeak VM 4.2.5beta1U with Pharo 1.2. I now am able to load JNIPort via the following:
	ConfigurationOfJNIPort project latestVersion load
When i want to start the JVM according to the description from the squeaksource wiki page i get the following error:

THERE_BE_DRAGONS_HERE

Error: primLoadLibrary: failed

16 February 2011 10:27:50 pm

VM: Mac OS - intel - 1066 - Squeak4.1 of 17 April 2010 [latest update: #9957] Squeak VM 4.2.5b1

Image: Pharo1.2rc2 [Latest update: #12335]

SecurityManager state:

Restricted: false

FileAccess: true

SocketAccess: true

Working Dir /Users/mjunker/Moose/Pharo-1.2

Trusted Dir /foobar/tooBar/forSqueak/bogus

Untrusted Dir /Users/mjunker/Library/Preferences/Squeak/Internet/My Squeak

JNIPortJNIInterfaceForMacOSX(Object)>>error:

Receiver: a JNIPortJNIInterfaceForMacOSX

Arguments and temporary variables:

aString: 'primLoadLibrary: failed'

Receiver's instance variables:

alienHandle: nil

libraryName: nil

errorStrings: nil

When i debug the method JNIPortJNIInterfaceForMacOSX>>load the library name seems to be set correctly to:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Libraries/libjvm.dylib

I checked and found that this is a symbolic link to:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Libraries/libclient.dylib
So far everything looks alright. I attached the Debug.log with all the detail.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers
Matt

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Cyrille,

Did you manage to get JNIPort working on Pharo 1.2?

Cheers,
Doru

On 14 Feb 2011, at 12:16, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Matthias,
>
> Thanks for reporting. I forwarded the message to the Pharo mailing list as well.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 14 Feb 2011, at 12:10, Matthias Junker wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i was trying to load JNIPort as described on squeaksource on my Macbook (OS X 10.6.6). I downloaded the latest Pharo 1.2 from Hudson (https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Pharo/job/Pharo%201.2/) and opened it using SqueakVM 5.8b12. I was able to load Alien using the following command:
>>
>> Gofer it
>>      squeaksource:'MetacelloRepository' ;
>>      package: 'ConfigurationOfAlien';
>>      load.
>>
>> ((Smalltalk globals classNamed: 'ConfigurationOfAlien')
>>      project version: 'Pharo 1.2')
>>              load: 'Core'; load: 'LibC
>>
>> Then i loaded the JNIPort Configuration:
>> Gofer it
>>              squeaksource: 'JNIPort';
>>              package: 'ConfigurationOfJNIPort';
>>              load.
>>
>> But when i load the actual project with this:
>>      ConfigurationOfJNIPort project latestVersion load
>> I get the following error in the class StandardLibInterface(AlienLibrary)>>load
>> libraryName:         '/System/Library/Frameworks/System.framework/System'
>> errorCode:   #'not found'
>>
>> When i check on the file system i find a symbolic link which points to /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (which also exists there).
>>
>> Any hints to what i'm doing wrong?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Matt

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
> one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"When people care, great things can happen."

PharoDebug.log (295K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem loading JNIPort

Matthias Junker-2
And another thing:
can anyone explain what the IAB32 plugin is? The wiki page says:

To use JNIPort for Pharo and Squeak, you need a Squeak virtual machine with the IAB32 plugin which contains the primitives used by the Alien foreign function interface library.

Can anybody explain what this means? Is this already included when i download squeakvm or do i have to do anything else? i couldn't find anything on this subject.

Cheers
Matt

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:50 PM, Matthias Junker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>              package: 'ConfigurationOfJNIPort';
>>              load.
>>
>> But when i load the actual project with this:
>>      ConfigurationOfJNIPort project latestVersion load
>> I get the following error in the class StandardLibInterface(AlienLibrary)>>load
>> libraryName:         '/System/Library/Frameworks/System.framework/System'
>> errorCode:   #'not found'
>>
>> When i check on the file system i find a symbolic link which points to /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (which also exists there).
>>
>> Any hints to what i'm doing wrong?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Matt

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
> one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"When people care, great things can happen."

cdelaunay
That's how I used to load JNIPort in a 1.2 image:

Gofer new
     package: 'JNIPortExample';
    load.

Then I know that my examples were working on 1.1, I will try in a 1.2

2011/2/16 Matthias Junker <[hidden email]>
> [...]

>>              package: 'ConfigurationOfJNIPort';
>>              load.
>>
>> But when i load the actual project with this:
>>      ConfigurationOfJNIPort project latestVersion load
>> I get the following error in the class StandardLibInterface(AlienLibrary)>>load
>> libraryName:         '/System/Library/Frameworks/System.framework/System'
>> errorCode:   #'not found'
>>
>> When i check on the file system i find a symbolic link which points to /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (which also exists there).
>>
>> Any hints to what i'm doing wrong?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Matt

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
> one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"When people care, great things can happen."

The configurationOfJNIPort works well. But I'm then not able to start the JVM. I have the same error than mathias