Problem loading Seaside 3.0 in Pharo 1.4

Problem loading Seaside 3.0 in Pharo 1.4

Andres Fortier-2
Hi list,
        I'm trying to load Seaside 3.0 in Pharo 1.4. As stated in the
Pharo Smalltalk section of seaside.st I use:

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
    load.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) load.

and after a while I get a wallback (screen attached) and an unresponsive
image. Here is the last part of the Pharo log:

--- The full stack ---
CompiledMethod(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #actualClass
PackageInfo>>addMethod:
RPackageOrganizer>>systemMethodAddedActionFr[action cull: anAnnouncement
cull: announcer] in AnnouncementSubscription>>deliver:
BlockClo[Processor term[Processor termi[:ex |
| copy [:ex |
| copy onDoCtx process handler bottom thisCtx |
onDoCtx := thisContext.
        thisC[:ex |
| copy onDoCtx process handler bottom thisCtx |
onDoCtx := thisContext.
        thisCtx := onDoCtx home.
        [onDoCtx sender == thisCtx]
                whileFalse: [onDoCtx := onDoCtx sender.
                        onDoCtx
                                ifNil: [^ handlerAction cull: ex]].
        bottom := [Processor terminateActive] asContext.
        onDoCtx privSender: bottom.
        handler := [handlerAction cull: ex] asContext.
        handler privSender: thisContext sender.
        (Process forContext: handler priority: Processor activePriority)
resume.
        thisContext privSender: thisCtx.
        nil] in BlockClosure>>on:fork:

hisContext privSender: thisCtx.
        nil] in BlockClosure>>on:fork:

----------------------
teActiv[Pro[[[:t3 |
| t4 t5 t6[:ex |
| copy onDo[:ex |
|[:ex [:ex |
| copy o[:ex |
|[:ex |
| copy onDoCtx process handler bottom [:ex |
| cop[:ex |
| co[:ex | [:[:ex |
| copy onDoCtx process handler bottom thisCtx |
onDoCtx := thisContext.
        thisCtx := onDoCtx home.
        [onDoCtx sender == th[:ex |

------

--

---------------------

As far as I can remember the only packages added to the vanilla Pharo
image are the Nautilus browser and the Tiling Window Manager. I'm
running Ubuntu 10.10.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Andrés

--
Saludos,
        Andrés

Seaside-2.png (148K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem loading Seaside 3.0 in Pharo 1.4

Philippe Marschall
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Andrés Fortier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> | copy onDoCtx process handler bottom thisCtx |
> onDoCtx := thisContext.
>        thisCtx := onDoCtx home.
>        [onDoCtx sender == thisCtx]
>                whileFalse: [onDoCtx := onDoCtx sender.
>                        onDoCtx
>                                ifNil: [^ handlerAction cull: ex]].
>        bottom := [Processor terminateActive] asContext.
>        onDoCtx privSender: bottom.
>        handler := [handlerAction cull: ex] asContext.
>        handler privSender: thisContext sender.
>        (Process forContext: handler priority: Processor activePriority)
> resume.
>        thisContext privSender: thisCtx.
>        nil] in BlockClosure>>on:fork:

> ------
>
> --
>
> ---------------------
>
> As far as I can remember the only packages added to the vanilla Pharo
> image are the Nautilus browser and the Tiling Window Manager. I'm

Nautilus load RPackage, right?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Problem loading Seaside 3.0 in Pharo 1.4

Philippe Marschall
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Andrés Fortier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Philippe, thanks for the quick answer! Please bear with me, while I'm
> not new to Smalltalk, I certainly am to Pharo :). I loaded Nautilus
> using:
>
> Gofer it
> url: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Nautilus';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfNautilus';
> load.
>
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfNautilus) perform: #loadRelease
>
> Should I load RPackage now?

No, here's what I believe what happened:
 - AFAIK RPackage is a dependency of Nautilus
 - you seem to have RPackage loaded (the class RPackageOrganizer is present)
 - I assume ConfigurationOfNautilus (correctly) loaded RPackage
 - however it looks like the loaded version of RPackage doesn't work
together with your version of Monticello

You can either find a version of Monticello that works with RPackage
or build a new image without RPackage. You should also contact the
maintainer of ConfigurationOfNautilus and inform him about this
incompatibility.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Problem loading Seaside 3.0 in Pharo 1.4

EstebanLM
yes... Nautilus uses RPackage, and RPackage, as Nautilus, is "technology preview" (and have some issues...).
I recommend to

- load Seaside without OB (it wont break Nautilus then)
- load OB instead Nautilus
- I don't know if loading Nautilus *after* Seaside will work

(yeah... is ugly, but the only solution I have so far...)

Esteban

On Jun 14, 2012, at 4:45 PM, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Andrés Fortier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Philippe, thanks for the quick answer! Please bear with me, while I'm
>> not new to Smalltalk, I certainly am to Pharo :). I loaded Nautilus
>> using:
>>
>> Gofer it
>> url: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Nautilus';
>> package: 'ConfigurationOfNautilus';
>> load.
>>
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfNautilus) perform: #loadRelease
>>
>> Should I load RPackage now?
>
> No, here's what I believe what happened:
> - AFAIK RPackage is a dependency of Nautilus
> - you seem to have RPackage loaded (the class RPackageOrganizer is present)
> - I assume ConfigurationOfNautilus (correctly) loaded RPackage
> - however it looks like the loaded version of RPackage doesn't work
> together with your version of Monticello
>
> You can either find a version of Monticello that works with RPackage
> or build a new image without RPackage. You should also contact the
> maintainer of ConfigurationOfNautilus and inform him about this
> incompatibility.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: Problem loading Seaside 3.0 in Pharo 1.4

Andres Fortier-2
Great, thank you both for the detailed explanation!

Cheers,
        Andrés

On jue, 2012-06-14 at 16:57 +0200, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> yes... Nautilus uses RPackage, and RPackage, as Nautilus, is "technology preview" (and have some issues...).
> I recommend to
>
> - load Seaside without OB (it wont break Nautilus then)
> - load OB instead Nautilus
> - I don't know if loading Nautilus *after* Seaside will work
>
> (yeah... is ugly, but the only solution I have so far...)
>
> Esteban
>
> On Jun 14, 2012, at 4:45 PM, Philippe Marschall wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Andrés Fortier
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi Philippe, thanks for the quick answer! Please bear with me, while I'm
> >> not new to Smalltalk, I certainly am to Pharo :). I loaded Nautilus
> >> using:
> >>
> >> Gofer it
> >> url: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Nautilus';
> >> package: 'ConfigurationOfNautilus';
> >> load.
> >>
> >> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfNautilus) perform: #loadRelease
> >>
> >> Should I load RPackage now?
> >
> > No, here's what I believe what happened:
> > - AFAIK RPackage is a dependency of Nautilus
> > - you seem to have RPackage loaded (the class RPackageOrganizer is present)
> > - I assume ConfigurationOfNautilus (correctly) loaded RPackage
> > - however it looks like the loaded version of RPackage doesn't work
> > together with your version of Monticello
> >
> > You can either find a version of Monticello that works with RPackage
> > or build a new image without RPackage. You should also contact the
> > maintainer of ConfigurationOfNautilus and inform him about this
> > incompatibility.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Philippe

Re: Problem loading Seaside 3.0 in Pharo 1.4

Mariano Martinez Peck
I think I have already seen like 100 threads of people complaining why 'default' in ConfigurationOfSeaside loads OB....

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Andrés Fortier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great, thank you both for the detailed explanation!

Cheers,
       Andrés

On jue, 2012-06-14 at 16:57 +0200, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
> yes... Nautilus uses RPackage, and RPackage, as Nautilus, is "technology preview" (and have some issues...).
> I recommend to
>
> - load Seaside without OB (it wont break Nautilus then)
> - load OB instead Nautilus
> - I don't know if loading Nautilus *after* Seaside will work
>
> (yeah... is ugly, but the only solution I have so far...)
>
> Esteban
>
> On Jun 14, 2012, at 4:45 PM, Philippe Marschall wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Andrés Fortier
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi Philippe, thanks for the quick answer! Please bear with me, while I'm
> >> not new to Smalltalk, I certainly am to Pharo :). I loaded Nautilus
> >> using:
> >>
> >> Gofer it
> >> url: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Nautilus';
> >> package: 'ConfigurationOfNautilus';
> >> load.
> >>
> >> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfNautilus) perform: #loadRelease
> >>
> >> Should I load RPackage now?
> >
> > No, here's what I believe what happened:
> > - AFAIK RPackage is a dependency of Nautilus
> > - you seem to have RPackage loaded (the class RPackageOrganizer is present)
> > - I assume ConfigurationOfNautilus (correctly) loaded RPackage
> > - however it looks like the loaded version of RPackage doesn't work
> > together with your version of Monticello
> >
> > You can either find a version of Monticello that works with RPackage
> > or build a new image without RPackage. You should also contact the
> > maintainer of ConfigurationOfNautilus and inform him about this
> > incompatibility.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Philippe

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Problem loading Seaside 3.0 in Pharo 1.4

Andres Fortier-2
Just for the record, I've loaded Seaside first and then Nautilus and
things seem to be ok.

Andrés

On jue, 2012-06-14 at 12:22 -0300, Andrés Fortier wrote:

> Great, thank you both for the detailed explanation!
>
> Cheers,
>         Andrés
>
> On jue, 2012-06-14 at 16:57 +0200, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
> > yes... Nautilus uses RPackage, and RPackage, as Nautilus, is "technology preview" (and have some issues...).
> > I recommend to
> >
> > - load Seaside without OB (it wont break Nautilus then)
> > - load OB instead Nautilus
> > - I don't know if loading Nautilus *after* Seaside will work
> >
> > (yeah... is ugly, but the only solution I have so far...)
> >
> > Esteban
> >
> > On Jun 14, 2012, at 4:45 PM, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> > > No, here's what I believe what happened:
> > > - AFAIK RPackage is a dependency of Nautilus
> > > - you seem to have RPackage loaded (the class RPackageOrganizer is present)
> > > - I assume ConfigurationOfNautilus (correctly) loaded RPackage
> > > - however it looks like the loaded version of RPackage doesn't work
> > > together with your version of Monticello
> > >
> > > You can either find a version of Monticello that works with RPackage
> > > or build a new image without RPackage. You should also contact the
> > > maintainer of ConfigurationOfNautilus and inform him about this
> > > incompatibility.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Philippe

Re: Problem loading Seaside 3.0 in Pharo 1.4

EstebanLM
yeah, that's nonsense... it shouldn't have it