Problem loading Seaside on latest Pharo

Blake McBride-2
Greetings,

I tried downloading the latest Pharo and then manually loading Seaside (on a 64 bit Linux box).  I don't know Pharo or Seaside but I think I got an error.

I ran:
Gofer new
url:'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';
load.
without error.  But when I run:

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) project version: #stable) load.
I get what's shown on the attached screenshot.   Is this an error?  How can I fix it?

Thanks!

Blake McBride

PharoScreenshot.png (113K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem loading Seaside on latest Pharo

Tim Mackinnon
Hi Blake - the good news is you didn’t get an error, you must have pressed cmd-g (or the green run button) which results in the playground letting you explore the result of execution.

You are seeing the result of a successful gofer load.

If you had instead run: 5 / 3 you would have seen a Fraction result with a numerator and denominator. You can then click on them and explore them too. (The pane will slide across). This is one of the lovely bits of Pharo Smalltalk.

You may find it useful to read one of the tutorials on Pharo.org .

If you also left click on the background - as in click on the Pharo image , you get a pop up menu and you should see a Seaside menu item in there that will show the status of Seaside. I think it automatically runs on 8080 so you may be able to try localhost:8080 in a web browser.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 14 Jun 2018, at 07:08, Blake McBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

Greetings,

I tried downloading the latest Pharo and then manually loading Seaside (on a 64 bit Linux box).  I don't know Pharo or Seaside but I think I got an error.

I ran:
Gofer new
url:'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';
load.
without error.  But when I run:

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) project version: #stable) load.
I get what's shown on the attached screenshot.   Is this an error?  How can I fix it?

Thanks!

Blake McBride

<PharoScreenshot.png>

Re: Problem loading Seaside on latest Pharo

CyrilFerlicot
On 14/06/2018 08:08, Blake McBride wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I tried downloading the latest Pharo and then manually loading Seaside
> (on a 64 bit Linux box).  I don't know Pharo or Seaside but I think I
> got an error.
>
> I ran:
>
> Gofer new
>     url:'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
>     package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';
>     load.
>
> without error.  But when I run:
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) project version: #stable) load.
>
> I get what's shown on the attached screenshot.   Is this an error?  How
> can I fix it?

Hi,

In complement to Tim's answer.

Yes the command worked and you just see the result of the script in the
playground, but I would like to raise two warnings.

First, Gofer is a deprecated way to load a project in recent Pharo. The
correct way is to use Metacello.

Metacello new
        repository:
'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
        configuration: 'Seaside3';
        version: #stable;
        load

Most of the time the result will be the same but the difference is that
Gofer has more bugs and sometimes the dependencies will not be resolved
the right way.

Second point is that in recent Pharo Seaside was migrated from Sthub to
Github. https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside

Now the right way to load it is:

Metacello new
 repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
 baseline:'Seaside3';
 load

The Sthub version is still functionnal but not maintained anymore.

Have a nice day.

> Thanks!
>
> Blake McBride

Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Problem loading Seaside on latest Pharo

Blake McBride-2

Thanks for the help!  I ran:

Metacello new
 repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
 baseline:'Seaside3';
 load

And then added a ZnZinkServiceAdapter, started it, and Seaside ran fine.  It would be good if the docs at http://www.seaside.st/download/pharo were updated.  Also, that page says to open a workspace.  I was able to equate that with the playground but it would be good if the docs said that.

I have a number of questions that I'll ask in a separate message.

Thanks!

Blake McBride

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 3:48 AM Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 14/06/2018 08:08, Blake McBride wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I tried downloading the latest Pharo and then manually loading Seaside
> (on a 64 bit Linux box).  I don't know Pharo or Seaside but I think I
> got an error.
>
> I ran:
>
> Gofer new
>     url:'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
>     package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';
>     load.
>
> without error.  But when I run:
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) project version: #stable) load.
>
> I get what's shown on the attached screenshot.   Is this an error?  How
> can I fix it?

Hi,

In complement to Tim's answer.

Yes the command worked and you just see the result of the script in the
playground, but I would like to raise two warnings.

First, Gofer is a deprecated way to load a project in recent Pharo. The
correct way is to use Metacello.

Metacello new
        repository:
'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
        configuration: 'Seaside3';
        version: #stable;
        load

Most of the time the result will be the same but the difference is that
Gofer has more bugs and sometimes the dependencies will not be resolved
the right way.

Second point is that in recent Pharo Seaside was migrated from Sthub to
Github. https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside

Now the right way to load it is:

Metacello new
 repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
 baseline:'Seaside3';
 load

The Sthub version is still functionnal but not maintained anymore.

Have a nice day.

> Thanks!
>
> Blake McBride

Cyril Ferlicot