Problem loading image after changing resolution from 4Kto HD

Problem loading image after changing resolution from 4Kto HD

TedVanGaalen
Apart from my OSX MacMini, (which has other problems,still,
as i wrote about earlier) I also use a PC Windows 10 system
mainly for games and doing other awful complicated things
like filling out German Tax forms...

There is an error depending on resolution.

While my PC, Windows 10, is connected to a 4K screen:
[
-downloaded  Pharo 6.1 from https://pharo.org/web/download

-started Pharo with the downloaded vanilla image.

-fonts too small to be comfortable readable so changed all to
a larger font size (in the image, Appearance)

-found the font edges to be a bit blurry on a 4K screen, therefore used this
Which lets -as far as i can tell- let the app take care of its dpi scaling.
now everything was ok. Font edges where now sharp
exactly what I want.
-saved the image, thereby overwriting the vanilla image, not using "save as"
(this because I want may base image always to contain Seaside and
Postgress DB (not yet done here) , mainly because I'd like to make
Smalltalk stand-alone apps in a three layer system that is
DB<=>Pharo<=>Browser (a web browser is a super nice user interface))
so user-interaction is exclusively over (local)host]

later at night, I like to be in gaming (like Eve Online) so the ritual is to
disconnect my 4K 3840 x 2160 monitor and then
reconnect my PC via HDMI 1920 x 1080 to my TV.
This works flawlessly. Windows automagically changes
resolution to 1920 x 1080 and even reorders all my desktop icons.

Then later, after being a bit bored with gaming, thought of Pharo again,
and attempted to reload it, being still in 1920 x 1080 resolution on the TV.
then this Pharo window appears:

Inline image 1

I then tried to close this System Browser but this
didn't work as it emits many windows with errors.
Impossible to continue, thus
I then closed Pharo *without saving the image*.
Later, the next day, when restarting Pharo again
in 4K resolution, everything works normally.
Could it be that some logic within Pharo does not handle
resolution changes correctly?
You could try to reproduce this error, using the same procedure
as described above.
Kind Regards
Ted van Gaalen
Speyer
Germany

Re: Problem loading image after changing resolution from 4Kto HD

Prof. Andrew P. Black

On 1 Dec 2017, at 20:31 , Ted F.A. van Gaalen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Could it be that some logic within Pharo does not handle
resolution changes correctly?

In Pharo 7, I sometimes — but not always — get crashes when I switch from the built-in display on my laptop to a large desktop monitor.  Going from the large monitor to the laptop screen always seems to work flawlessly, and going the other way sometimes works.  So this is the opposite from your issue.

The crash happens before I get to see anything at all on the screen, so it may also be a different issue.  But changing resolution is certainly problematic.

Andrew

Re: Problem loading image after changing resolution from 4Kto HD

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi

We are chasing a bug in FreeType. Some initialization order was wrong
in 70alpha but it the fix does not apply
to 61 :( and I finished to remove the plugin from my VM and use strike fonts.
We should rewrite the FT plugin.

STef

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 10:50 PM, Prof. Andrew P. Black <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1 Dec 2017, at 20:31 , Ted F.A. van Gaalen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Could it be that some logic within Pharo does not handle
> resolution changes correctly?
>

> In Pharo 7, I sometimes — but not always — get crashes when I switch from
> the built-in display on my laptop to a large desktop monitor.  Going from
> the large monitor to the laptop screen always seems to work flawlessly, and
> going the other way sometimes works.  So this is the opposite from your
> issue.
>
> The crash happens before I get to see anything at all on the screen, so it
> may also be a different issue.  But changing resolution is certainly
> problematic.
>
> Andrew

Re: Problem loading image after changing resolution from 4Kto HD

TedVanGaalen
Thank you Stef
I'll wait and use Pharo 5.0 (on Mac and Windows) until this problem is
solved. No problem,
with Seaside and Postgress db installed in the 5.0 image, it provides all I
need.
I will also do this on my MacMini, because it still hangs when switching to
and fro full screen,
as described previously described in a similar topic on this forum.
(wiped the complete 6.1 from my mac system and reinstalled it,
hoping the problem was solved... to no avail..
[
btw,
Why on Earth is Pharo "becoming ensnared" :o) in Github,
I thought Monticello mcz is perfect equivalent for this?

But maybe I am asking such a stupid question like this because
I am a solo developer, using virtually no 3rd party software and
saving a version of the complete image/source each time I've made
significant changes.
(to me Github appears as unnecessary overhead and confusion)
]

Kind Regards
Ted

btw, i am 67 and retired (they tell me) , would Perpignan be a
nice place to live, as an active IT pensionado?
considering moving South end 2018 if money permits..