Problem to save packages

VincentRoca
Hi,
I'm a new Pharo user (Pharo 5.0). I have created a package and now I just want to save it in the package-cache folder. But, when I try to do this using the Monticello Browser, I get an exception telling me the file I'm trying to save does not exist. I already managed to save some packages but I can't anymore. Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Problem to save packages

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi vincent

Welcome to Pharo.
- Did you check that you can write in your cache folder?
- Is there any files in your cache?
- Normally just selecting a package and pressing save should save it.
- The exception you report is super strange.

Stef

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 4:39 PM, Roca Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm a new Pharo user (Pharo 5.0). I have created a package and now I just
> want to save it in the package-cache folder. But, when I try to do this
> using the Monticello Browser, I get an exception telling me the file I'm
> trying to save does not exist. I already managed to save some packages but I
> can't anymore. Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Problem to save packages

Nicolas Cellier
But whatever the bug, why saving in the package-cache?
The package-cache is just a cache as the name tells.
It's less volatile than RAM, but can still be subject to aggressive cleanup.

Le 18 févr. 2018 18:15, "Stephane Ducasse" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi vincent

Welcome to Pharo.
- Did you check that you can write in your cache folder?
- Is there any files in your cache?
- Normally just selecting a package and pressing save should save it.
- The exception you report is super strange.

Stef

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 4:39 PM, Roca Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm a new Pharo user (Pharo 5.0). I have created a package and now I just
> want to save it in the package-cache folder. But, when I try to do this
> using the Monticello Browser, I get an exception telling me the file I'm
> trying to save does not exist. I already managed to save some packages but I
> can't anymore. Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Problem to save packages

Stephan Eggermont-3
Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> But whatever the bug, why saving in the package-cache?
> The package-cache is just a cache as the name tells.
> It's less volatile than RAM, but can still be subject to aggressive cleanup.

Because it is much more reliable than network, and it depends on simpler
and working infrastructure. The package cache is deliberately not cleaned,
and not shared by default.

Stephan

Re: Problem to save packages

Nicolas Cellier

Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> But whatever the bug, why saving in the package-cache?
> The package-cache is just a cache as the name tells.
> It's less volatile than RAM, but can still be subject to aggressive cleanup.

Because it is much more reliable than network, and it depends on simpler
and working infrastructure. The package cache is deliberately not cleaned,
and not shared by default.

Stephan

If it would be me, I would then go for my own MCDirectoryRepository.
These are my files, I want to be in control and manage them by myself.
Eventually save them on another medium, and not mix them with thousands of other files that generally populate a package-cache.
Do you see what I mean?

Re: Problem to save packages

Stephan Eggermont-3
Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> These are my files, I want to be in control and manage them by myself.
> Eventually save them on another medium, and not mix them with thousands of
> other files that generally populate a package-cache.
> Do you see what I mean?

Two aspects:
1 It sounds like you have a shared package cache for all your images? That
is somewhat incompatible with the current tooling, especially with regard
to reproducible loading of Metacello configurations. Having lots of
duplicated mcz's in each image's package cache is wasteful
2 Yes, having much more control over the package cache makes sense,
especially with TelePharo. Different scenario's need different strategies.
Mixing new, own code with loaded frameworks is not very practical

Stephan

Re: Problem to save packages

VincentRoca
Thanks for your help,
The problem was indeed the fact I couldn't write in the package-cache. The
owner of the folder was root. But I'm surprised because I have already
managed to save some packages in this folder. Anyhow thank you very much !

Re: Problem to save packages

VincentRoca
Thanks for your help,
The problem was indeed I couldn't write in the package-cache. The owner of the folder was root. But I'm surprised because I have already managed to save some packages in it. Anyhow thank you very much.

Nicolas Cellier