Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Problem updating glass with a non default dispatcher

Sebastia Van Lacke
I have a very delicate problem because it impacts on my production server. I need to update Gemstone to the last version, and I am having some problems.  I am using special dispatcher, named MultiHostDispatcher to allow multiple hosts on the same machine, and I have redefined a seaside method to use it.
FSSeasideHandler>>waDispatcherClass
         ^WAMultiHostDispatcher.
which is in FastCGISeaside package, and when I update glass, this package is updated too, and the method is replaced. So glass started to use the default dispatcher.
This produce some internal error and after this, I can't start a session form the gemtools, I get an error "key not found", it's all the informtation I can give you because my machine crashed at that moment and I couldn't debug it.

I had to restore an Slicehost backup start up the site quickly.

Any idea what could have happened? how can I make the upgrade considering this issue?

Thank you

Sebastian
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Problem updating glass with a non default dispatcher

Dale Henrichs
[hidden email] wrote:

> I have a very delicate problem because it impacts on my production server. I need to update Gemstone to the last version, and I am having some problems.  I am using special dispatcher, named MultiHostDispatcher to allow multiple hosts on the same machine, and I have redefined a seaside method to use it.
> FSSeasideHandler>>waDispatcherClass
> ^WAMultiHostDispatcher.
> which is in FastCGISeaside package, and when I update glass, this package is updated too, and the method is replaced. So glass started to use the default dispatcher.
> This produce some internal error and after this, I can't start a session form the gemtools, I get an error "key not found", it's all the informtation I can give you because my machine crashed at that moment and I couldn't debug it.
>
> I had to restore an Slicehost backup start up the site quickly.
>
> Any idea what could have happened? how can I make the upgrade considering this issue?
>
> Thank you
>
> Sebastian

Sebastian,

If you have made your own modifications to a GemStone package, then you
need to do a Monticello merge to preserve your changes.

In your particular case, it makes sense to change the framework to allow
an alternate dispatcher class to be easily specified and preserved
across code updates...

I've submitted Issue 155
(http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/issues/detail?id=155) to track the
enhancement.

Dale
Reply | Threaded
|

Sebastia Van Lacke
In reply to this post by Sebastia Van Lacke
Do you mean that I have to update it from monticello and not from the update button? and make a merge when  installing the modified package? Sorry, I did not quite understand it.
I have save the method as extension on my own package.

Sebastian

>  -------Original Message-------
>  From: Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>
>  To: [hidden email] <[hidden email]>, GemStone Seaside beta discussion <[hidden email]>
>  Subject: Re: [GS/SS Beta] Problem updating glass with a non default dispatcher
>  Sent: Jul 30 '10 14:33
>  
>  [hidden email] wrote:
>  > I have a very delicate problem because it impacts on my production server. I need to update Gemstone to the last version, and I am having some problems.  I am using special dispatcher, named MultiHostDispatcher to allow multiple hosts on the same machine, and I have redefined a seaside method to use it.
>  > FSSeasideHandler>>waDispatcherClass
>  >   ^WAMultiHostDispatcher.
>  > which is in FastCGISeaside package, and when I update glass, this package is updated too, and the method is replaced. So glass started to use the default dispatcher.
>  > This produce some internal error and after this, I can't start a session form the gemtools, I get an error "key not found", it's all the informtation I can give you because my machine crashed at that moment and I couldn't debug it.
>  >
>  > I had to restore an Slicehost backup start up the site quickly.
>  >
>  > Any idea what could have happened? how can I make the upgrade considering this issue?
>  >
>  > Thank you
>  >
>  > Sebastian
>  
>  Sebastian,
>  
>  If you have made your own modifications to a GemStone package, then you
>  need to do a Monticello merge to preserve your changes.
>  
>  In your particular case, it makes sense to change the framework to allow
>  an alternate dispatcher class to be easily specified and preserved
>  across code updates...
>  
>  I've submitted Issue 155
>  (http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/issues/detail?id=155) to track the
>  enhancement.
>  
>  Dale
>  
Reply | Threaded
|

Dale Henrichs
[hidden email] wrote:
> Do you mean that I have to update it from monticello and not from the update button? and make a merge when  installing the modified package? Sorry, I did not quite understand it.
> I have save the method as extension on my own package.
>
> Sebastian

Ah, then you should be able to just reload the package with your
extension it after doing the upgrade.

Dale

>
>
>>  -------Original Message-------
>>  From: Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>
>>  To: [hidden email] <[hidden email]>, GemStone Seaside beta discussion <[hidden email]>
>>  Subject: Re: [GS/SS Beta] Problem updating glass with a non default dispatcher
>>  Sent: Jul 30 '10 14:33
>>  
>>  [hidden email] wrote:
>>  > I have a very delicate problem because it impacts on my production server. I need to update Gemstone to the last version, and I am having some problems.  I am using special dispatcher, named MultiHostDispatcher to allow multiple hosts on the same machine, and I have redefined a seaside method to use it.
>>  > FSSeasideHandler>>waDispatcherClass
>>  >  ^WAMultiHostDispatcher.
>>  > which is in FastCGISeaside package, and when I update glass, this package is updated too, and the method is replaced. So glass started to use the default dispatcher.
>>  > This produce some internal error and after this, I can't start a session form the gemtools, I get an error "key not found", it's all the informtation I can give you because my machine crashed at that moment and I couldn't debug it.
>>  >
>>  > I had to restore an Slicehost backup start up the site quickly.
>>  >
>>  > Any idea what could have happened? how can I make the upgrade considering this issue?
>>  >
>>  > Thank you
>>  >
>>  > Sebastian
>>  
>>  Sebastian,
>>  
>>  If you have made your own modifications to a GemStone package, then you
>>  need to do a Monticello merge to preserve your changes.
>>  
>>  In your particular case, it makes sense to change the framework to allow
>>  an alternate dispatcher class to be easily specified and preserved
>>  across code updates...
>>  
>>  I've submitted Issue 155
>>  (http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/issues/detail?id=155) to track the
>>  enhancement.
>>  
>>  Dale
>>