classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Problem with AbtTextView, AbtMonetaryAmountConverter autoSelect

Louis LaBrunda
Hi,

I using an AbtTextView with an AbtMonetaryAmountConverter to enter money data.  I would like the contents of the field auto selected when the field gets the focus.  I set the option but I think there is something about the monetary converter that undoes the selection when it paints its value with the $.  Connecting #gettingFocus to #selectAll doesn't circumvent the problem.  I have circumvented the problem by connecting #gettingFocus to this code:

selectAll: field
"Select all of the field."

[
(Delay forMilliseconds: 50) wait.
field selectAll.
] forkReadyAt: Processor userBackgroundPriority.

I also connect the #self attribute of the field to the parameter of the #gettingFocus connection.

Note: the #forkReadyAt: method.  It creates the fork but doesn't doesn't let it execute immediately.  That lets the monetary converter do its think (which I think results in un-selection) and then after the slight delay does the #selectAll.

This works but it is an obvious hack.  Clearly, this shouldn't be on the top of anybody's list of things to fix but maybe some day.  I don't think it will be too hard to get AbtMonetaryAmountConverter to pay attention to the #autoSelect flag.

Lou

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/092bd7c3-ce3b-4051-ae6c-ea0fe16bb938n%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Problem with AbtTextView, AbtMonetaryAmountConverter autoSelect

Louis LaBrunda
After making this post I realized a regular #fork would do and it does.

Lou

On Thursday, January 14, 2021 at 10:12:20 AM UTC-5 Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi,

I using an AbtTextView with an AbtMonetaryAmountConverter to enter money data.  I would like the contents of the field auto selected when the field gets the focus.  I set the option but I think there is something about the monetary converter that undoes the selection when it paints its value with the $.  Connecting #gettingFocus to #selectAll doesn't circumvent the problem.  I have circumvented the problem by connecting #gettingFocus to this code:

[
field selectAll.

I also connect the #self attribute of the field to the parameter of the #gettingFocus connection.

Note: the #forkReadyAt: method.  It creates the fork but doesn't doesn't let it execute immediately.  That lets the monetary converter do its think (which I think results in un-selection) and then after the slight delay does the #selectAll.

This works but it is an obvious hack.  Clearly, this shouldn't be on the top of anybody's list of things to fix but maybe some day.  I don't think it will be too hard to get AbtMonetaryAmountConverter to pay attention to the #autoSelect flag.

Lou

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/c722b8f5-23fa-4134-a5db-3bec91aebcedn%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcus Wagner
In reply to this post by Louis LaBrunda
Hi Lou,

i cannot reproduce this.
I set my local to US (to get the monetary sign $ and monetary symbols .) and created a visual part containing AbtTextView with AbtMonetaryAmountConverter and a connection gettingFocus to selectAll.
That works as expected.
The symptoms and your by-pass indicate a potential event ordering problem - not a problem in the converter.
Are there any other connections hooked on that AbtTextView?
If there are such, may be that the ordering of these connections contributes to the problem.

Your by-pass to cause a select with a delayed execution in another process is somehow heavy for that purpose.
Did you consider the built in protocol
CwAppContext default asyncExecInUI: [field selectAll] ?
It will run code in the  block decoupled and subsequent without a delay.

And theoretically, the field selectAll after the delay may fail, the widget can be destroyed after the wait.
Consider to add a guard here (isDestroyed not ifTrue: [...]) if you have to stick to this by-pass, even with such a short delay of 50ms.

This may occur particular in messy situations,  under heavy load, unresponsive GUIs and then causing a walkback on top in your app is problematic.

Marcus
[hidden email] schrieb am Donnerstag, 14. Januar 2021 um 16:12:20 UTC+1:
Hi,

[
field selectAll.

Lou

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/9738f870-79e6-44c3-9202-58e5853c1228n%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Louis LaBrunda
Hi  Marcus,

Thanks for looking at this.  If one tabs into the field the #selectAll works but if you click on the field with the mouse #selectAll fails.

I like your suggestion and modified it slightly:

CwAppContext default asyncExecInUI: [field abtIsDestroyed ifFalse: [field selectAll]]. 

Much better than the delay.

Lou 

On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 8:33:09 AM UTC-5 [hidden email] wrote:
Hi Lou,

i cannot reproduce this.
I set my local to US (to get the monetary sign $ and monetary symbols .) and created a visual part containing AbtTextView with AbtMonetaryAmountConverter and a connection gettingFocus to selectAll.
That works as expected.
The symptoms and your by-pass indicate a potential event ordering problem - not a problem in the converter.
If there are such, may be that the ordering of these connections contributes to the problem.

Your by-pass to cause a select with a delayed execution in another process is somehow heavy for that purpose.

And theoretically, the field selectAll after the delay may fail, the widget can be destroyed after the wait.
Consider to add a guard here (isDestroyed not ifTrue: [...]) if you have to stick to this by-pass, even with such a short delay of 50ms.

This may occur particular in messy situations,  under heavy load, unresponsive GUIs and then causing a walkback on top in your app is problematic.

Marcus
Hi,

[
field selectAll.

Lou

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/238e79ac-0c4e-4d8e-bab8-60ae9e1d2adbn%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcus Wagner
Hi Lou,
I double checked, I placed another widget before and after the AbtTextView widget and no matter which navigation I use, tab or mouse, it selects as expected without any side effect. I cannot reproduce your symptom.
I fear again that there must be something special causing that to fail in your code.
Besides. the (ancient) asyncExecInUi protocol and newer variant asyncExecFirstInUI: was very helpful to keep a dialog responsive, in particular when running some code calling APIs of the system. Fine that it helps you, too.
Marcus

[hidden email] schrieb am Sonntag, 14. Februar 2021 um 21:04:50 UTC+1:
Hi  Marcus,

Thanks for looking at this.  If one tabs into the field the #selectAll works but if you click on the field with the mouse #selectAll fails.

CwAppContext default asyncExecInUI: [field abtIsDestroyed ifFalse: [field selectAll]]. 

Lou 

Hi Lou,

i cannot reproduce this.
That works as expected.

Marcus
Hi,

[
field selectAll.

Lou

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/6748ef21-4307-43e9-89cb-ebcc0c03bc41n%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Marcus,

Have you selected the monetary converter?  Also, I posted too soon, #asyncExecInUI: was inconsistent.  I'm still experimenting, I will post more later.

Lou

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 9:23:15 AM UTC-5 [hidden email] wrote:
Hi Lou,
I double checked, I placed another widget before and after the AbtTextView widget and no matter which navigation I use, tab or mouse, it selects as expected without any side effect. I cannot reproduce your symptom.
I fear again that there must be something special causing that to fail in your code.
Besides. the (ancient) asyncExecInUi protocol and newer variant asyncExecFirstInUI: was very helpful to keep a dialog responsive, in particular when running some code calling APIs of the system. Fine that it helps you, too.
Marcus

Hi  Marcus,

Lou 

Hi Lou,

i cannot reproduce this.
That works as expected.

Marcus
Hi,

[
field selectAll.

Lou

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/832e7059-d44f-4686-9a43-8d06e1354043n%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Marcus, Everybody,

I am back to this:

[
field abtIsDestroyed ifFalse: [field selectAll].
] fork.

I know it is a hack but it is a circumvention of what I think is a bug in the combination AbtMonetaryAmountConverter and AbtTextConverterManager.

I think it is a timing bug.  When the focus changes, the displayed string is changed.  I think somewhere along the line it gets selected and then somehow unselected and sometimes part of it gets selected.  My hack, tries to wait until all of that finishes and then selects everything.  I don't like it but it is the only thing that seems to work consistently.

Lou
On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 1:22:36 PM UTC-5 Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Marcus,

Have you selected the monetary converter?  Also, I posted too soon, #asyncExecInUI: was inconsistent.  I'm still experimenting, I will post more later.

Lou

Hi Lou,
Marcus

Hi  Marcus,

Lou 

Hi Lou,

i cannot reproduce this.
That works as expected.

Marcus
Hi,

[
field selectAll.

Lou

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/8f5e0b3b-527f-4af6-8b62-eda989c03e17n%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcus Wagner
Hi Lou,
t my example uses AbtMonetaryAmountConverter and EwMonetaryFormat, before the widget, and a simple bitton after the widget in tab order, without success yet. However, I you mentioned the AbtTextConvertedManager... so it does not reflect your situation.
Please let me know type and converter of the widget before and after the widget (in tab order) with the problem AbtTextView and AbtMonetaryAmountConverter. It seems to be important to reconstruct the same constellation...
Marcus

[hidden email] schrieb am Montag, 15. Februar 2021 um 19:45:49 UTC+1:
Hi Marcus, Everybody,

I am back to this:

[
field abtIsDestroyed ifFalse: [field selectAll].
] fork.

I know it is a hack but it is a circumvention of what I think is a bug in the combination AbtMonetaryAmountConverter and AbtTextConverterManager.

I think it is a timing bug.  When the focus changes, the displayed string is changed.  I think somewhere along the line it gets selected and then somehow unselected and sometimes part of it gets selected.  My hack, tries to wait until all of that finishes and then selects everything.  I don't like it but it is the only thing that seems to work consistently.

Lou
On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 1:22:36 PM UTC-5 Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Marcus,

Lou

Hi Lou,
Marcus

Hi  Marcus,

Lou 

Hi Lou,

i cannot reproduce this.
That works as expected.

Marcus
Hi,

[
field selectAll.

Lou

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/94294af0-134d-4354-adab-3cf12d26cca0n%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Marcus,

I tried including a file out of the main window with a bunch of the fields but that failed to post.  Not all are in the tabs list but the problem is mainly with mouse clicking in the field not tabbing, so what is around the field probably doesn't matter.  Some are connected to an object.  That may have something to do with it.

Lou

!KscCheckBookWindow privateMethods !

abtBuildInternals
"** Do not modify or delete **  See: AbtAppBldrPart class>>#about_abtBuildInternals"

| gui window_1 aBANumberLabel createANewEntryPushButton aBANumberText accountNumberLabel
accountNumberText accountNameLabel accountNameText bankBalanceLabel bankBalanceText
abtMonetaryAmountConverter clearedBalanceLabel clearedBalanceText abtMonetaryAmountConverter_1
kscCheckBookContainerDetails dateContainerDetailsColumn abtDateConverter
entryCodeContainerDetailsColumn amountContainerDetailsColumn abtMonetaryAmountConverter_2
descriptionContainerDetailsColumn typeContainerDetailsColumn abtStringConverter
clearedContainerDetailsColumn abtBooleanConverter unclearedBalanceLabel unclearedBalanceText
abtMonetaryAmountConverter_3 deleteEntryPushButton bankBalanceHelpLabel toSelectionLabel1
clearedBalanceToSelectedEntryText abtMonetaryAmountConverter_4 toSelectionLabel2
unclearedBalanceToSelectedEntryText abtMonetaryAmountConverter_5 abtCwMenuView menuBarItem1
menuBarItem2 menuBarItem3 helpMenuChoice popupMenu1 newMenuChoice openMenuChoice separator1
saveMenuChoice saveAsMenuChoice separator4 createReportMenuChoice separator2
createShortcutToCheckbookFileMenuChoice separator3 exitMenuChoice kscCheckBookDataObject popupMenu2
editBankInfoMenuChoice separator5 findDateMenuChoice findEntryCodeMenuChoice findAmountMenuChoice
findDescriptionMenuChoice findUnclearedMenuChoice findNextMenuChoice popupMenu3 aboutMenuChoice
checkForUpdateMenuChoice downloadAndInstallCurrentVersionMenuChoice autoCheckForUpdateMenuToggle
conn1 conn2 conn3 conn5 conn6 conn7 conn8 conn18 conn9 conn10 conn11 conn12 conn13 conn14 conn15
conn16 conn17 conn19 conn20 conn21 conn23 conn24 conn34 conn25 conn26 conn27 conn38 conn29 conn30
conn31 conn32 conn51 conn52 conn43 conn54 conn45 conn46 |
gui := self class abtSeparatedConstants.
window_1 := AbtShellView abtCreatePart: 'Window' parent: nil owner: self .
aBANumberLabel := AbtLabelView abtCreatePart: 'ABA Number Label' parent: window_1.
createANewEntryPushButton := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Create a New Entry Push Button' parent: window_1.
aBANumberText := AbtTextView abtCreatePart: 'ABA Number Text' parent: window_1.
accountNumberLabel := AbtLabelView abtCreatePart: 'Account Number Label' parent: window_1.
accountNumberText := AbtTextView abtCreatePart: 'Account Number Text' parent: window_1.
accountNameLabel := AbtLabelView abtCreatePart: 'Account Name Label' parent: window_1.
accountNameText := AbtTextView abtCreatePart: 'Account Name Text' parent: window_1.
bankBalanceLabel := AbtLabelView abtCreatePart: 'Bank Balance Label' parent: window_1.
bankBalanceText := AbtTextView abtCreatePart: 'Bank Balance Text' parent: window_1.
clearedBalanceLabel := AbtLabelView abtCreatePart: 'Cleared Balance Label' parent: window_1.
clearedBalanceText := AbtTextView abtCreatePart: 'Cleared Balance Text' parent: window_1.
kscCheckBookContainerDetails := AbtContainerDetailsView abtCreatePart: 'KscCheckBook Container Details' parent: window_1.
dateContainerDetailsColumn := AbtContainerDetailsColumn abtCreatePart: 'Date Container Details Column' parent: kscCheckBookContainerDetails.
entryCodeContainerDetailsColumn := AbtContainerDetailsColumn abtCreatePart: 'EntryCode Container Details Column' parent: kscCheckBookContainerDetails.
amountContainerDetailsColumn := AbtContainerDetailsColumn abtCreatePart: 'Amount Container Details Column' parent: kscCheckBookContainerDetails.
descriptionContainerDetailsColumn := AbtContainerDetailsColumn abtCreatePart: 'Description Container Details Column' parent: kscCheckBookContainerDetails.
typeContainerDetailsColumn := AbtContainerDetailsColumn abtCreatePart: 'Type Container Details Column' parent: kscCheckBookContainerDetails.
clearedContainerDetailsColumn := AbtContainerDetailsColumn abtCreatePart: 'Cleared Container Details Column' parent: kscCheckBookContainerDetails.
unclearedBalanceLabel := AbtLabelView abtCreatePart: 'Uncleared Balance Label' parent: window_1.
unclearedBalanceText := AbtTextView abtCreatePart: 'Uncleared Balance Text' parent: window_1.
deleteEntryPushButton := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Delete Entry Push Button' parent: window_1.
bankBalanceHelpLabel := AbtLabelView abtCreatePart: 'Bank Balance Help Label' parent: window_1.
toSelectionLabel1 := AbtLabelView abtCreatePart: 'To Selection Label 1' parent: window_1.
clearedBalanceToSelectedEntryText := AbtTextView abtCreatePart: 'Cleared Balance To Selected Entry Text' parent: window_1.
toSelectionLabel2 := AbtLabelView abtCreatePart: 'To Selection Label 2' parent: window_1.
unclearedBalanceToSelectedEntryText := AbtTextView abtCreatePart: 'Uncleared Balance To Selected Entry Text' parent: window_1.
popupMenu1 := AbtCwMenuView abtCreatePart: 'Popup Menu1' parent: self parentVisual owner: self .
newMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'New Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu1.
openMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Open Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu1.
separator1 := AbtSeparatorView abtCreatePart: 'Separator1' parent: popupMenu1.
saveMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Save Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu1.
saveAsMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Save as Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu1.
separator4 := AbtSeparatorView abtCreatePart: 'Separator4' parent: popupMenu1.
createReportMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Create Report Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu1.
separator2 := AbtSeparatorView abtCreatePart: 'Separator2' parent: popupMenu1.
createShortcutToCheckbookFileMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Create Shortcut to Checkbook File Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu1.
separator3 := AbtSeparatorView abtCreatePart: 'Separator3' parent: popupMenu1.
exitMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Exit Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu1.
(kscCheckBookDataObject := AbtVariable abtCreatePart: 'KscCheckBookData Object' parent: self parentVisual owner: self ) partClass: KscCheckBookData.
popupMenu2 := AbtCwMenuView abtCreatePart: 'Popup Menu2' parent: self parentVisual owner: self .
editBankInfoMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Edit Bank Info Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu2.
separator5 := AbtSeparatorView abtCreatePart: 'Separator5' parent: popupMenu2.
findDateMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Find Date Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu2.
findEntryCodeMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Find Entry Code Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu2.
findAmountMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Find Amount Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu2.
findDescriptionMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Find Description Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu2.
findUnclearedMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Find Uncleared Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu2.
findNextMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Find Next Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu2.
popupMenu3 := AbtCwMenuView abtCreatePart: 'Popup Menu3' parent: self parentVisual owner: self .
aboutMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'About Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu3.
checkForUpdateMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Check For Update Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu3.
downloadAndInstallCurrentVersionMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Download And Install Current Version Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu3.
autoCheckForUpdateMenuToggle := AbtToggleButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Auto Check For Update Menu Toggle' parent: popupMenu3.
self 
primaryPart: window_1.
window_1 
menu: ((abtCwMenuView := AbtCwMenuView abtCreatePart: #AbtCwMenuView parent:  nil )
abtReturnReceiver: (menuBarItem1 := AbtCascadeButtonView abtCreatePart: 'MenuBar Item1' parent: abtCwMenuView);
abtReturnReceiver: (menuBarItem2 := AbtCascadeButtonView abtCreatePart: 'MenuBar Item2' parent: abtCwMenuView);
abtReturnReceiver: (menuBarItem3 := AbtCascadeButtonView abtCreatePart: 'MenuBar Item3' parent: abtCwMenuView);
abtReturnReceiver: (helpMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Help Menu Choice' parent: abtCwMenuView);
rowColumnType: 1);
graphicsDescriptor: nil;
framingSpec: (AbtViewAttachmentConstraint new
leftEdge: (AbtEdgeConstant new offset: 150);
rightEdge: (AbtEdgeConstant new offset: 850);
topEdge: (AbtEdgeConstant new offset: 75);
bottomEdge: (AbtEdgeConstant new offset: 500));
title: (gui at: 1)          " 'KscCheckBook' " .
aBANumberLabel 
object: (gui at: 2)          " 'ABA Number' " ;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHFORM; offset: 10);
rightEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHNONE);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHFORM; offset: 15);
bottomEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHNONE)).
createANewEntryPushButton 
object: (gui at: 3)          " 'Create a New Entry' " ;
tabGroup: true;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 20; attachedTargetView: unclearedBalanceText);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: -2; attachedTargetView: bankBalanceLabel);
bottomEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHNONE));
enabled: false.
aBANumberText 
tabGroup: false;
traversalOn: false;
columns: 12;
alignment: 1;
autoSelect: true;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 3; attachedTargetView: aBANumberLabel);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: aBANumberLabel);
editable: false;
enabled: true.
accountNumberLabel 
object: (gui at: 4)          " 'Account Number' " ;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 10; attachedTargetView: aBANumberText);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: aBANumberLabel);
accountNumberText 
columns: 17;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 3; attachedTargetView: accountNumberLabel);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: accountNumberLabel);
editable: false.
accountNameLabel 
object: (gui at: 5)          " 'Account Name' " ;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 10; attachedTargetView: accountNumberText);
accountNameText 
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 3; attachedTargetView: accountNameLabel);
rightEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHFORM; offset: 10);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: accountNameLabel);
traversalOn: false.
bankBalanceLabel 
object: (gui at: 6)          " 'Bank Balance' " ;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: aBANumberLabel);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 10; attachedTargetView: aBANumberLabel);
bankBalanceText 
converter: ((abtMonetaryAmountConverter := AbtMonetaryAmountConverter abtCreatePart: #AbtMonetaryAmountConverter parent:  nil ));
columns: 10;
alignment: 2;
autoSelect: false;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 3; attachedTargetView: bankBalanceLabel);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: bankBalanceLabel);
clearedBalanceLabel 
object: (gui at: 7)          " 'Cleared Balance' " ;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 10; attachedTargetView: bankBalanceHelpLabel);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: bankBalanceLabel);
clearedBalanceText 
converter: ((abtMonetaryAmountConverter_1 := AbtMonetaryAmountConverter abtCreatePart: #AbtMonetaryAmountConverter parent:  nil ));
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 3; attachedTargetView: clearedBalanceLabel);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: clearedBalanceLabel);
kscCheckBookContainerDetails 
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHFORM; offset: 0);
rightEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHFORM; offset: 0);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 10; attachedTargetView: toSelectionLabel1);
bottomEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHFORM; offset: 0));
refreshEntireListOnChange: true;
dateContainerDetailsColumn 
converter: ((abtDateConverter := AbtDateConverter abtCreatePart: #AbtDateConverter parent:  nil )
dateFormat: 1;
showSeparator: true);
attributeName: (gui at: 8)          " 'date' " ;
abtEditPolicyItems: (OrderedCollection new
yourself);
width: 75;
heading: (gui at: 9)          " 'Date' " ;
horizontalAlignment: 1;
horizontalHeadingAlignment: 1.
entryCodeContainerDetailsColumn 
attributeName: (gui at: 10)          " 'entryCode' " ;
yourself);
width: 80;
heading: (gui at: 11)          " 'Entry Code' " ;
amountContainerDetailsColumn 
converter: ((abtMonetaryAmountConverter_2 := AbtMonetaryAmountConverter abtCreatePart: #AbtMonetaryAmountConverter parent:  nil )
decimalPlace: 2;
decimalSeparator: (gui at: 12)          " '.' " );
attributeName: (gui at: 13)          " 'amount' " ;
yourself);
heading: (gui at: 14)          " 'Amount' " ;
horizontalAlignment: 2;
descriptionContainerDetailsColumn 
width: 300;
attributeName: (gui at: 15)          " 'description' " ;
heading: (gui at: 16)          " 'Description' " ;
yourself);
typeContainerDetailsColumn 
converter: ((abtStringConverter := AbtStringConverter abtCreatePart: #AbtStringConverter parent:  nil )
defaultObjectFromEmptyString: (gui at: 17)          " 'Symbol' " );
attributeName: (gui at: 18)          " 'typeAsString' " ;
yourself);
width: 100;
heading: (gui at: 19)          " 'Type' " ;
clearedContainerDetailsColumn 
converter: ((abtBooleanConverter := AbtBooleanConverter abtCreatePart: #AbtBooleanConverter parent:  nil )
yesStr: (gui at: 20)          " 'Yes' " ;
noStr: (gui at: 21)          " 'No' " );
attributeName: (gui at: 22)          " 'cleared' " ;
yourself);
width: 50;
heading: (gui at: 23)          " 'Cleared' " ;
unclearedBalanceLabel 
object: (gui at: 24)          " 'Uncleared Balance' " ;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 10; attachedTargetView: clearedBalanceText);
unclearedBalanceText 
converter: ((abtMonetaryAmountConverter_3 := AbtMonetaryAmountConverter abtCreatePart: #AbtMonetaryAmountConverter parent:  nil ));
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 3; attachedTargetView: unclearedBalanceLabel);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: unclearedBalanceLabel);
deleteEntryPushButton 
object: (gui at: 25)          " 'Delete Entry' " ;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 10; attachedTargetView: createANewEntryPushButton);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: createANewEntryPushButton);
bankBalanceHelpLabel 
object: (gui at: 26)          " 'Help' " ;
marginHeight: 0;
marginWidth: 0;
marginTop: 4;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 3; attachedTargetView: bankBalanceText);
toSelectionLabel1 
object: (gui at: 27)          " 'To Selection' " ;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHNONE);
rightEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: clearedBalanceLabel);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 10; attachedTargetView: clearedBalanceLabel);
clearedBalanceToSelectedEntryText 
converter: ((abtMonetaryAmountConverter_4 := AbtMonetaryAmountConverter abtCreatePart: #AbtMonetaryAmountConverter parent:  nil ));
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: clearedBalanceText);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: toSelectionLabel1);
toSelectionLabel2 
object: (gui at: 28)          " 'To Selection' " ;
rightEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: unclearedBalanceLabel);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: toSelectionLabel1);
unclearedBalanceToSelectedEntryText 
converter: ((abtMonetaryAmountConverter_5 := AbtMonetaryAmountConverter abtCreatePart: #AbtMonetaryAmountConverter parent:  nil ));
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: unclearedBalanceText);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: toSelectionLabel2);
menuBarItem1 
object: (gui at: 29)          " 'File' " .
menuBarItem2 
object: (gui at: 30)          " 'Edit' " .
menuBarItem3 
object: (gui at: 31)          " 'About' " .
helpMenuChoice 
labelType: 2;
object: (gui at: 32)          " 'Help' " ;
labelString: (gui at: 33)          " 'Help Menu Choice' " .
newMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 34)          " 'New' " .
openMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 35)          " 'Open' " .
saveMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 36)          " 'Save' " ;
saveAsMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 37)          " 'Save as...' " .
createReportMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 38)          " 'Create Report...' " .
createShortcutToCheckbookFileMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 39)          " 'Create Shortcut to Checkbook File' " ;
exitMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 40)          " 'Exit' " .
editBankInfoMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 41)          " 'Edit Bank Info' " .
findDateMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 42)          " 'Find Date' " ;
helpTitle: (gui at: 43)          " 'Find Date' " .
findEntryCodeMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 44)          " 'Find Entry Code (Check #)' " .
findAmountMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 45)          " 'Find Amount' " .
findDescriptionMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 46)          " 'Find Description' " .
findUnclearedMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 47)          " 'Find Uncleared' " .
findNextMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 48)          " 'Find Next' " ;
accelerator: (CwAccelerator mask: 0 keysym: 65472).
aboutMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 49)          " 'About' " .
checkForUpdateMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 50)          " 'Check For Update' " .
downloadAndInstallCurrentVersionMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 51)          " 'Download And Install Current Version' " .
autoCheckForUpdateMenuToggle 
object: (gui at: 52)          " 'Auto Check For Update' " .
openMenuChoice
abtWhenPrimitive: #clicked
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
receiver: self;
selector: #open;
arguments: #()).
saveMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #save;
saveAsMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #saveAs;
newMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #new;
window_1
abtWhenPrimitive: #openedWidget
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #afterOpenSetup;
window_1
abtWhenPrimitive: #closeWidgetRequest
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #okayToClose:;
arguments: (Array new: 1)).
self attributeConnections add: (conn8 := AbtAttributeToAttributeConnection new
connectSource: popupMenu1
featureName: #self
feature: AbtCwMenuView IS_self
toTarget: menuBarItem1
featureName: #menu
feature: AbtCascadeButtonView IS_menu).
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #createNewEntry;
self attributeConnections add: (conn9 := AbtAttributeToAttributeConnection new
connectSource: kscCheckBookDataObject
variableFeatureName: #routingNumber
featureSelector: #IS_routingNumber
toTarget: aBANumberText
featureName: #object
feature: AbtTextView IS_object).
self attributeConnections add: (conn10 := AbtAttributeToAttributeConnection new
variableFeatureName: #accountNumber
featureSelector: #IS_accountNumber
toTarget: accountNumberText
self attributeConnections add: (conn11 := AbtAttributeToAttributeConnection new
variableFeatureName: #bankBalance
featureSelector: #IS_bankBalance
toTarget: bankBalanceText
self attributeConnections add: (conn12 := AbtAttributeToAttributeConnection new
variableFeatureName: #clearedBalance
featureSelector: #IS_clearedBalance
toTarget: clearedBalanceText
self attributeConnections add: (conn13 := AbtAttributeToAttributeConnection new
variableFeatureName: #accountName
featureSelector: #IS_accountName
toTarget: accountNameText
abtWhenPrimitive: #defaultActionRequested
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #editEntry:;
self attributeConnections add: (conn15 := AbtAttributeToAttributeConnection new
variableFeatureName: #unclearedBalance
featureSelector: #IS_unclearedBalance
toTarget: unclearedBalanceText
self attributeConnections add: (conn16 := AbtAttributeToAttributeConnection new
connectSource: popupMenu2
toTarget: menuBarItem2
editBankInfoMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #editBankInfo;
kscCheckBookDataObject
abtWhen: #changed
selector: #IS_changed
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #setCheckBookChanged;
self attributeConnections add: (conn20 := AbtAttributeToAttributeConnection new
connectSource: kscCheckBookContainerDetails
featureName: #selectionIsValid
feature: AbtContainerDetailsView IS_selectionIsValid
toTarget: deleteEntryPushButton
featureName: #enabled
feature: AbtPushButtonView IS_enabled).
deleteEntryPushButton
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #deleteEntry;
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #createShortcutToCheckbookFile;
helpMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #mainHelp;
createReportMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #createReport;
abtWhenPrimitive: #selectionIndexChanged
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #setBalancesUptoSelectedEntry;
kscCheckBookDataObject
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
findUnclearedMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #findUncleared;
findDateMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #findDate;
findNextMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #findNext;
findEntryCodeMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #findEntryCode;
findAmountMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #findAmount;
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #findDescription;
exitMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #closeWindow;
self attributeConnections add: (conn52 := AbtAttributeToAttributeConnection new
connectSource: popupMenu3
toTarget: menuBarItem3
checkForUpdateMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #checkForUpdate;
abtWhenPrimitive: #selectionChanged
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #autoCheckForUpdatesChanged:;
aboutMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #about;
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #downloadAndInstallCurrentVersion;
self initializeAttributeConnections.
self finalInitialize.
! !

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/11df518c-8e81-41b1-a403-55c4d8da7552n%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcus Wagner
Hi Lou,
given the complexity of your user interface chances to reconstruct it offline are very low.
It is extremely unlikely that the converter or the tab manager contains a bug.
It is very likely that you are victim of a circular dependency of firing events spread over some widgets.
Such a circular dependency is dangerous. It can cause a total frustrating behaviour to a user (equivalent to an endless loop) under rare edge conditions.
The attempt to select contents of the widget using the fork code will not cure the problem but hide it and contribute to make the situation worse.
You should invest to detect the cause of this dependency to gain the necessary stability.
I recommend to debug the connections. You have to find out the malign event causing to loose the text selection and then to decouple that code from presentation. There are several approaches to do so:
by trial and error - you can systematically remove connections until the effect vanishes to find the culprit (and then to diagnose the reason)
by device and conquer - try to temporarily remove parts of the GUI to narrow down
by debugging - you can set break points on connections to track the flow (e.g. tab in the widget causes a) the selectAll as desired b) some other unintended change causing to some calculation which finally changes the selection. Attempt to mark the connection gettingFocus->selectAll, right click and select "Debug connections". [I assume that you know about this debugging feature].
Doing so will open your visual part. If you tab then into the widget of concern, debugger and a connection trace log will open and you can start to step through all follow-up actions, hopefully you will detect the unintended side effect.
Consider also to set a break point on method setSelection: of the widget. It will halt when the malign second selection will take place.
I do not want to recapitulate theory (MVC) but it is worth  to separate representation from logic to avoid such circular references by architectural design.
This prevents from introducing such dependency chains and grants to deliver a responsive user interface which requires short event chains. 
Good luck
Marcus

[hidden email] schrieb am Montag, 15. Februar 2021 um 22:04:31 UTC+1:
Hi Marcus,

I tried including a file out of the main window with a bunch of the fields but that failed to post.  Not all are in the tabs list but the problem is mainly with mouse clicking in the field not tabbing, so what is around the field probably doesn't matter.  Some are connected to an object.  That may have something to do with it.

Lou

!KscCheckBookWindow privateMethods !

abtBuildInternals
"** Do not modify or delete **  See: AbtAppBldrPart class>>#about_abtBuildInternals"

| gui window_1 aBANumberLabel createANewEntryPushButton aBANumberText accountNumberLabel
accountNumberText accountNameLabel accountNameText bankBalanceLabel bankBalanceText
abtMonetaryAmountConverter clearedBalanceLabel clearedBalanceText abtMonetaryAmountConverter_1
kscCheckBookContainerDetails dateContainerDetailsColumn abtDateConverter
entryCodeContainerDetailsColumn amountContainerDetailsColumn abtMonetaryAmountConverter_2
descriptionContainerDetailsColumn typeContainerDetailsColumn abtStringConverter
clearedContainerDetailsColumn abtBooleanConverter unclearedBalanceLabel unclearedBalanceText
abtMonetaryAmountConverter_3 deleteEntryPushButton bankBalanceHelpLabel toSelectionLabel1
clearedBalanceToSelectedEntryText abtMonetaryAmountConverter_4 toSelectionLabel2
unclearedBalanceToSelectedEntryText abtMonetaryAmountConverter_5 abtCwMenuView menuBarItem1
menuBarItem2 menuBarItem3 helpMenuChoice popupMenu1 newMenuChoice openMenuChoice separator1
saveMenuChoice saveAsMenuChoice separator4 createReportMenuChoice separator2
createShortcutToCheckbookFileMenuChoice separator3 exitMenuChoice kscCheckBookDataObject popupMenu2
editBankInfoMenuChoice separator5 findDateMenuChoice findEntryCodeMenuChoice findAmountMenuChoice
findDescriptionMenuChoice findUnclearedMenuChoice findNextMenuChoice popupMenu3 aboutMenuChoice
checkForUpdateMenuChoice downloadAndInstallCurrentVersionMenuChoice autoCheckForUpdateMenuToggle
conn1 conn2 conn3 conn5 conn6 conn7 conn8 conn18 conn9 conn10 conn11 conn12 conn13 conn14 conn15
conn16 conn17 conn19 conn20 conn21 conn23 conn24 conn34 conn25 conn26 conn27 conn38 conn29 conn30
conn31 conn32 conn51 conn52 conn43 conn54 conn45 conn46 |
window_1 := AbtShellView abtCreatePart: 'Window' parent: nil owner: self .
aBANumberLabel := AbtLabelView abtCreatePart: 'ABA Number Label' parent: window_1.
createANewEntryPushButton := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Create a New Entry Push Button' parent: window_1.
aBANumberText := AbtTextView abtCreatePart: 'ABA Number Text' parent: window_1.
accountNumberLabel := AbtLabelView abtCreatePart: 'Account Number Label' parent: window_1.
accountNumberText := AbtTextView abtCreatePart: 'Account Number Text' parent: window_1.
accountNameLabel := AbtLabelView abtCreatePart: 'Account Name Label' parent: window_1.
accountNameText := AbtTextView abtCreatePart: 'Account Name Text' parent: window_1.
bankBalanceLabel := AbtLabelView abtCreatePart: 'Bank Balance Label' parent: window_1.
bankBalanceText := AbtTextView abtCreatePart: 'Bank Balance Text' parent: window_1.
clearedBalanceLabel := AbtLabelView abtCreatePart: 'Cleared Balance Label' parent: window_1.
clearedBalanceText := AbtTextView abtCreatePart: 'Cleared Balance Text' parent: window_1.
kscCheckBookContainerDetails := AbtContainerDetailsView abtCreatePart: 'KscCheckBook Container Details' parent: window_1.
dateContainerDetailsColumn := AbtContainerDetailsColumn abtCreatePart: 'Date Container Details Column' parent: kscCheckBookContainerDetails.
entryCodeContainerDetailsColumn := AbtContainerDetailsColumn abtCreatePart: 'EntryCode Container Details Column' parent: kscCheckBookContainerDetails.
amountContainerDetailsColumn := AbtContainerDetailsColumn abtCreatePart: 'Amount Container Details Column' parent: kscCheckBookContainerDetails.
descriptionContainerDetailsColumn := AbtContainerDetailsColumn abtCreatePart: 'Description Container Details Column' parent: kscCheckBookContainerDetails.
typeContainerDetailsColumn := AbtContainerDetailsColumn abtCreatePart: 'Type Container Details Column' parent: kscCheckBookContainerDetails.
clearedContainerDetailsColumn := AbtContainerDetailsColumn abtCreatePart: 'Cleared Container Details Column' parent: kscCheckBookContainerDetails.
unclearedBalanceLabel := AbtLabelView abtCreatePart: 'Uncleared Balance Label' parent: window_1.
unclearedBalanceText := AbtTextView abtCreatePart: 'Uncleared Balance Text' parent: window_1.
deleteEntryPushButton := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Delete Entry Push Button' parent: window_1.
bankBalanceHelpLabel := AbtLabelView abtCreatePart: 'Bank Balance Help Label' parent: window_1.
toSelectionLabel1 := AbtLabelView abtCreatePart: 'To Selection Label 1' parent: window_1.
clearedBalanceToSelectedEntryText := AbtTextView abtCreatePart: 'Cleared Balance To Selected Entry Text' parent: window_1.
toSelectionLabel2 := AbtLabelView abtCreatePart: 'To Selection Label 2' parent: window_1.
unclearedBalanceToSelectedEntryText := AbtTextView abtCreatePart: 'Uncleared Balance To Selected Entry Text' parent: window_1.
popupMenu1 := AbtCwMenuView abtCreatePart: 'Popup Menu1' parent: self parentVisual owner: self .
newMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'New Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu1.
openMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Open Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu1.
separator1 := AbtSeparatorView abtCreatePart: 'Separator1' parent: popupMenu1.
saveMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Save Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu1.
saveAsMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Save as Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu1.
separator4 := AbtSeparatorView abtCreatePart: 'Separator4' parent: popupMenu1.
createReportMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Create Report Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu1.
separator2 := AbtSeparatorView abtCreatePart: 'Separator2' parent: popupMenu1.
createShortcutToCheckbookFileMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Create Shortcut to Checkbook File Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu1.
separator3 := AbtSeparatorView abtCreatePart: 'Separator3' parent: popupMenu1.
exitMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Exit Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu1.
(kscCheckBookDataObject := AbtVariable abtCreatePart: 'KscCheckBookData Object' parent: self parentVisual owner: self ) partClass: KscCheckBookData.
popupMenu2 := AbtCwMenuView abtCreatePart: 'Popup Menu2' parent: self parentVisual owner: self .
editBankInfoMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Edit Bank Info Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu2.
separator5 := AbtSeparatorView abtCreatePart: 'Separator5' parent: popupMenu2.
findDateMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Find Date Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu2.
findEntryCodeMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Find Entry Code Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu2.
findAmountMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Find Amount Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu2.
findDescriptionMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Find Description Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu2.
findUnclearedMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Find Uncleared Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu2.
findNextMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Find Next Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu2.
popupMenu3 := AbtCwMenuView abtCreatePart: 'Popup Menu3' parent: self parentVisual owner: self .
aboutMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'About Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu3.
checkForUpdateMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Check For Update Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu3.
downloadAndInstallCurrentVersionMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Download And Install Current Version Menu Choice' parent: popupMenu3.
autoCheckForUpdateMenuToggle := AbtToggleButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Auto Check For Update Menu Toggle' parent: popupMenu3.
self 
primaryPart: window_1.
window_1 
menu: ((abtCwMenuView := AbtCwMenuView abtCreatePart: #AbtCwMenuView parent:  nil )
abtReturnReceiver: (menuBarItem1 := AbtCascadeButtonView abtCreatePart: 'MenuBar Item1' parent: abtCwMenuView);
abtReturnReceiver: (menuBarItem2 := AbtCascadeButtonView abtCreatePart: 'MenuBar Item2' parent: abtCwMenuView);
abtReturnReceiver: (menuBarItem3 := AbtCascadeButtonView abtCreatePart: 'MenuBar Item3' parent: abtCwMenuView);
abtReturnReceiver: (helpMenuChoice := AbtPushButtonView abtCreatePart: 'Help Menu Choice' parent: abtCwMenuView);
rowColumnType: 1);
leftEdge: (AbtEdgeConstant new offset: 150);
rightEdge: (AbtEdgeConstant new offset: 850);
topEdge: (AbtEdgeConstant new offset: 75);
bottomEdge: (AbtEdgeConstant new offset: 500));
title: (gui at: 1)          " 'KscCheckBook' " .
aBANumberLabel 
object: (gui at: 2)          " 'ABA Number' " ;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHFORM; offset: 10);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHFORM; offset: 15);
object: (gui at: 3)          " 'Create a New Entry' " ;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 20; attachedTargetView: unclearedBalanceText);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: -2; attachedTargetView: bankBalanceLabel);
aBANumberText 
columns: 12;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 3; attachedTargetView: aBANumberLabel);
enabled: true.
accountNumberLabel 
object: (gui at: 4)          " 'Account Number' " ;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 10; attachedTargetView: aBANumberText);
accountNumberText 
columns: 17;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 3; attachedTargetView: accountNumberLabel);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: accountNumberLabel);
accountNameLabel 
object: (gui at: 5)          " 'Account Name' " ;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 10; attachedTargetView: accountNumberText);
accountNameText 
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 3; attachedTargetView: accountNameLabel);
rightEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHFORM; offset: 10);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: accountNameLabel);
traversalOn: false.
bankBalanceLabel 
object: (gui at: 6)          " 'Bank Balance' " ;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: aBANumberLabel);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 10; attachedTargetView: aBANumberLabel);
bankBalanceText 
converter: ((abtMonetaryAmountConverter := AbtMonetaryAmountConverter abtCreatePart: #AbtMonetaryAmountConverter parent:  nil ));
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 3; attachedTargetView: bankBalanceLabel);
clearedBalanceLabel 
object: (gui at: 7)          " 'Cleared Balance' " ;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 10; attachedTargetView: bankBalanceHelpLabel);
clearedBalanceText 
converter: ((abtMonetaryAmountConverter_1 := AbtMonetaryAmountConverter abtCreatePart: #AbtMonetaryAmountConverter parent:  nil ));
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 3; attachedTargetView: clearedBalanceLabel);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: clearedBalanceLabel);
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHFORM; offset: 0);
rightEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHFORM; offset: 0);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 10; attachedTargetView: toSelectionLabel1);
bottomEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHFORM; offset: 0));
refreshEntireListOnChange: true;
dateContainerDetailsColumn 
converter: ((abtDateConverter := AbtDateConverter abtCreatePart: #AbtDateConverter parent:  nil )
dateFormat: 1;
showSeparator: true);
attributeName: (gui at: 8)          " 'date' " ;
yourself);
heading: (gui at: 9)          " 'Date' " ;
entryCodeContainerDetailsColumn 
attributeName: (gui at: 10)          " 'entryCode' " ;
yourself);
width: 80;
heading: (gui at: 11)          " 'Entry Code' " ;
amountContainerDetailsColumn 
converter: ((abtMonetaryAmountConverter_2 := AbtMonetaryAmountConverter abtCreatePart: #AbtMonetaryAmountConverter parent:  nil )
decimalPlace: 2;
decimalSeparator: (gui at: 12)          " '.' " );
attributeName: (gui at: 13)          " 'amount' " ;
yourself);
heading: (gui at: 14)          " 'Amount' " ;
horizontalAlignment: 2;
descriptionContainerDetailsColumn 
width: 300;
attributeName: (gui at: 15)          " 'description' " ;
heading: (gui at: 16)          " 'Description' " ;
yourself);
typeContainerDetailsColumn 
converter: ((abtStringConverter := AbtStringConverter abtCreatePart: #AbtStringConverter parent:  nil )
defaultObjectFromEmptyString: (gui at: 17)          " 'Symbol' " );
attributeName: (gui at: 18)          " 'typeAsString' " ;
yourself);
width: 100;
heading: (gui at: 19)          " 'Type' " ;
clearedContainerDetailsColumn 
converter: ((abtBooleanConverter := AbtBooleanConverter abtCreatePart: #AbtBooleanConverter parent:  nil )
yesStr: (gui at: 20)          " 'Yes' " ;
noStr: (gui at: 21)          " 'No' " );
attributeName: (gui at: 22)          " 'cleared' " ;
yourself);
width: 50;
heading: (gui at: 23)          " 'Cleared' " ;
unclearedBalanceLabel 
object: (gui at: 24)          " 'Uncleared Balance' " ;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 10; attachedTargetView: clearedBalanceText);
unclearedBalanceText 
converter: ((abtMonetaryAmountConverter_3 := AbtMonetaryAmountConverter abtCreatePart: #AbtMonetaryAmountConverter parent:  nil ));
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 3; attachedTargetView: unclearedBalanceLabel);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: unclearedBalanceLabel);
deleteEntryPushButton 
object: (gui at: 25)          " 'Delete Entry' " ;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 10; attachedTargetView: createANewEntryPushButton);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: createANewEntryPushButton);
bankBalanceHelpLabel 
object: (gui at: 26)          " 'Help' " ;
marginHeight: 0;
marginWidth: 0;
marginTop: 4;
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 3; attachedTargetView: bankBalanceText);
toSelectionLabel1 
object: (gui at: 27)          " 'To Selection' " ;
rightEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: clearedBalanceLabel);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHWIDGET; offset: 10; attachedTargetView: clearedBalanceLabel);
clearedBalanceToSelectedEntryText 
converter: ((abtMonetaryAmountConverter_4 := AbtMonetaryAmountConverter abtCreatePart: #AbtMonetaryAmountConverter parent:  nil ));
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: clearedBalanceText);
toSelectionLabel2 
object: (gui at: 28)          " 'To Selection' " ;
rightEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: unclearedBalanceLabel);
unclearedBalanceToSelectedEntryText 
converter: ((abtMonetaryAmountConverter_5 := AbtMonetaryAmountConverter abtCreatePart: #AbtMonetaryAmountConverter parent:  nil ));
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: unclearedBalanceText);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHOPPOSITEWIDGET; offset: 0; attachedTargetView: toSelectionLabel2);
menuBarItem1 
object: (gui at: 29)          " 'File' " .
menuBarItem2 
object: (gui at: 30)          " 'Edit' " .
menuBarItem3 
object: (gui at: 31)          " 'About' " .
helpMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 32)          " 'Help' " ;
labelString: (gui at: 33)          " 'Help Menu Choice' " .
newMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 34)          " 'New' " .
openMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 35)          " 'Open' " .
saveMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 36)          " 'Save' " ;
saveAsMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 37)          " 'Save as...' " .
createReportMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 38)          " 'Create Report...' " .
object: (gui at: 39)          " 'Create Shortcut to Checkbook File' " ;
exitMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 40)          " 'Exit' " .
editBankInfoMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 41)          " 'Edit Bank Info' " .
findDateMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 42)          " 'Find Date' " ;
helpTitle: (gui at: 43)          " 'Find Date' " .
findEntryCodeMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 44)          " 'Find Entry Code (Check #)' " .
findAmountMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 45)          " 'Find Amount' " .
object: (gui at: 46)          " 'Find Description' " .
findUnclearedMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 47)          " 'Find Uncleared' " .
findNextMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 48)          " 'Find Next' " ;
accelerator: (CwAccelerator mask: 0 keysym: 65472).
aboutMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 49)          " 'About' " .
checkForUpdateMenuChoice 
object: (gui at: 50)          " 'Check For Update' " .
object: (gui at: 51)          " 'Download And Install Current Version' " .
object: (gui at: 52)          " 'Auto Check For Update' " .
openMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #open;
saveMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #save;
saveAsMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #saveAs;
newMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #new;
window_1
abtWhenPrimitive: #openedWidget
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #afterOpenSetup;
window_1
abtWhenPrimitive: #closeWidgetRequest
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #okayToClose:;
self attributeConnections add: (conn8 := AbtAttributeToAttributeConnection new
connectSource: popupMenu1
toTarget: menuBarItem1
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #createNewEntry;
self attributeConnections add: (conn9 := AbtAttributeToAttributeConnection new
variableFeatureName: #routingNumber
featureSelector: #IS_routingNumber
toTarget: aBANumberText
self attributeConnections add: (conn10 := AbtAttributeToAttributeConnection new
variableFeatureName: #accountNumber
featureSelector: #IS_accountNumber
toTarget: accountNumberText
self attributeConnections add: (conn11 := AbtAttributeToAttributeConnection new
variableFeatureName: #bankBalance
featureSelector: #IS_bankBalance
toTarget: bankBalanceText
self attributeConnections add: (conn12 := AbtAttributeToAttributeConnection new
variableFeatureName: #clearedBalance
featureSelector: #IS_clearedBalance
toTarget: clearedBalanceText
self attributeConnections add: (conn13 := AbtAttributeToAttributeConnection new
variableFeatureName: #accountName
featureSelector: #IS_accountName
toTarget: accountNameText
abtWhenPrimitive: #defaultActionRequested
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #editEntry:;
self attributeConnections add: (conn15 := AbtAttributeToAttributeConnection new
variableFeatureName: #unclearedBalance
featureSelector: #IS_unclearedBalance
toTarget: unclearedBalanceText
self attributeConnections add: (conn16 := AbtAttributeToAttributeConnection new
connectSource: popupMenu2
toTarget: menuBarItem2
editBankInfoMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #editBankInfo;
kscCheckBookDataObject
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #setCheckBookChanged;
self attributeConnections add: (conn20 := AbtAttributeToAttributeConnection new
connectSource: kscCheckBookContainerDetails
featureName: #selectionIsValid
feature: AbtContainerDetailsView IS_selectionIsValid
toTarget: deleteEntryPushButton
featureName: #enabled
feature: AbtPushButtonView IS_enabled).
deleteEntryPushButton
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #deleteEntry;
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #createShortcutToCheckbookFile;
helpMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #mainHelp;
createReportMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #createReport;
abtWhenPrimitive: #selectionIndexChanged
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
kscCheckBookDataObject
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
findUnclearedMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #findUncleared;
findDateMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #findDate;
findNextMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #findNext;
findEntryCodeMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #findEntryCode;
findAmountMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #findAmount;
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #findDescription;
exitMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #closeWindow;
self attributeConnections add: (conn52 := AbtAttributeToAttributeConnection new
connectSource: popupMenu3
toTarget: menuBarItem3
checkForUpdateMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #checkForUpdate;
abtWhenPrimitive: #selectionChanged
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #autoCheckForUpdatesChanged:;
aboutMenuChoice
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #about;
perform: 
(DirectedMessage new 
selector: #downloadAndInstallCurrentVersion;
self initializeAttributeConnections.
self finalInitialize.
! !

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/d34d3960-e097-4f0a-83f4-c8b93b95e891n%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Marcus,

I made a test window with just two text fields.  The setting of the first are as it is dropped in the window.  The second has the alignment set to end, autoSelect set to true and converter set to Monetary Amount.  There are no connections at all.  The tab order is the default, first field to the second and back to the first.

Entering 0, or 0.00 or whatever gets things started.  Tabbing around will select everything when the second field gets the focus.  Clicking the second field when it doesn't have the focus, gives it the focus but does not select everything.  Depending where one clicks, nothing may be selected.

Since there are no connections at all, I don't see how this can be a connection problem.

Below is a file out of the window part.  Attaching even this simple file still doesn't work on this stupid google group.

Lou

AbtAppBldrView subclass: #KscTestMonetaryAmountConverter
    classInstanceVariableNames: ''
    instanceVariableNames: ''
    classVariableNames: ''
    poolDictionaries: ''!

!KscTestMonetaryAmountConverter class privateMethods !

_PRAGMA_IS_

"%%PRAGMA DECLARE
(name: IS_KscTestMonetaryAmountConverter isPool: true isConstant: false)
(pool: IS_KscTestMonetaryAmountConverter declarations: (
(name: IS_instanceInterfaceSpec isConstant: false)
))"!

abtPrimFlushInterfaceSpecCache

IS_KscTestMonetaryAmountConverter associationsDo: [: poolDictionaryAssoc | poolDictionaryAssoc value: nil].
super abtPrimFlushInterfaceSpecCache!

abtUntranslatedConstants
"** Do not modify or delete **  See: AbtAppBldrPart class>>#about_abtUntranslatedConstants"

^#(
)!

IS_instanceInterfaceSpec
"Private - ** Warning ** This method is generated by VisualAge and should not
be modified or deleted. This method is responsible for returning a featureSpec
that describes the implementation of a particular feature of the receiver"

^IS_KscTestMonetaryAmountConverter::IS_instanceInterfaceSpec notNil
ifTrue: [IS_KscTestMonetaryAmountConverter::IS_instanceInterfaceSpec]
ifFalse: [
IS_KscTestMonetaryAmountConverter::IS_instanceInterfaceSpec := AbtInterfaceSpec new]! !

!KscTestMonetaryAmountConverter privateMethods !

abtBuildInternals

| gui window text2 text1 abtMonetaryAmountConverter |
window := AbtShellView abtCreatePart: 'Window' parent: nil owner: self .
text2 := AbtTextView abtCreatePart: 'Text2' parent: window.
text1 := AbtTextView abtCreatePart: 'Text1' parent: window.
self 
primaryPart: window.
window 
leftEdge: (AbtEdgeConstant new offset: 30);
rightEdge: (AbtEdgeConstant new offset: 800);
topEdge: (AbtEdgeConstant new offset: 30);
bottomEdge: (AbtEdgeConstant new offset: 450)).
text2 
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHFORM; offset: 75);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHFORM; offset: 38);
text1 
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHFORM; offset: 96);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHFORM; offset: 116);
self finalInitialize.
! !

KscTestMonetaryAmountConverter initializeAfterLoad!

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/a6dc125f-5400-43ba-83d2-a73381dade0fn%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcus Wagner
Hi Lou,
thank you for bringing it to a minimum, I have now a local replica. I can reproduce
"Clicking the second field when it doesn't have the focus, gives it the focus but does not select everything.  Depending where one clicks, nothing may be selected."
-> I assume, you want to have autoselect all also when clicking, not only when tabbing into the field.
I will analyse the scope of "autoselect". I will also check if the connection getFocus -> selectAll will help - and if not, why not and then if any event ordering is imporant. I will report to you tomorrow.
Marcus

[hidden email] schrieb am Dienstag, 16. Februar 2021 um 18:13:14 UTC+1:
Hi Marcus,

I made a test window with just two text fields.  The setting of the first are as it is dropped in the window.  The second has the alignment set to end, autoSelect set to true and converter set to Monetary Amount.  There are no connections at all.  The tab order is the default, first field to the second and back to the first.

Entering 0, or 0.00 or whatever gets things started.  Tabbing around will select everything when the second field gets the focus.  Clicking the second field when it doesn't have the focus, gives it the focus but does not select everything.  Depending where one clicks, nothing may be selected.

Since there are no connections at all, I don't see how this can be a connection problem.

Below is a file out of the window part.  Attaching even this simple file still doesn't work on this stupid google group.

Lou

_PRAGMA_IS_

"%%PRAGMA DECLARE
))"!

IS_KscTestMonetaryAmountConverter associationsDo: [: poolDictionaryAssoc | poolDictionaryAssoc value: nil].

abtUntranslatedConstants
"** Do not modify or delete **  See: AbtAppBldrPart class>>#about_abtUntranslatedConstants"

^#(
)!

IS_instanceInterfaceSpec

IS_KscTestMonetaryAmountConverter::IS_instanceInterfaceSpec := AbtInterfaceSpec new]! !

abtBuildInternals

self 
window 
text2 
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHFORM; offset: 75);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHFORM; offset: 38);
text1 
leftEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHFORM; offset: 96);
topEdge: (AbtRunEdgeAttachmentConstraint new attachment: XmATTACHFORM; offset: 116);
self finalInitialize.
! !

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/bd64ff71-6aae-46ac-8d36-cf6c3f080b08n%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Marcus,

Thanks for continuing to look at this.  I left the connection getFocus -> selectAll off to keep things simple.  It was the first thing I tried when I first encountered the problem.  Adding it to this simple test case doesn't help.

I'm going to look more at #AbtTextConverterManager as I think it talks to the Monetary Amount Converter to get/replace the currently displayed text with unformatted text and then select it.  I think somewhere along the line the selection is not made or more likely is undone.

If we find the bug and fix it, I then have to decide to use the fix or stick with my circumvention.  This is a question of maintenance.  If the base code is changed with the fix, the fix can be lost with an update, if the update doesn't contain a fix.  The circumvention can be rendered unnecessary with an update but that is easily solved by removing it.

Lou

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 1:06:42 PM UTC-5 [hidden email] wrote:
Hi Lou,
thank you for bringing it to a minimum, I have now a local replica. I can reproduce
"Clicking the second field when it doesn't have the focus, gives it the focus but does not select everything.  Depending where one clicks, nothing may be selected."
-> I assume, you want to have autoselect all also when clicking, not only when tabbing into the field.
I will analyse the scope of "autoselect". I will also check if the connection getFocus -> selectAll will help - and if not, why not and then if any event ordering is imporant. I will report to you tomorrow.
Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Lou

_PRAGMA_IS_

"%%PRAGMA DECLARE
))"!

abtUntranslatedConstants

^#(
)!

IS_instanceInterfaceSpec

abtBuildInternals

self 
window 
text2 
text1 
self finalInitialize.
! !

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/d81ca063-4fcd-40db-8b5f-9b013f5531c1n%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcus Wagner
Hi Lou,
I promised you to respond. My analysis is not finished yet...
The autofocus behaviour is part of the AbtTextConverterManager, as you detected yesterday. And a comment gave me a hint
AbtTextConverterManager>>gettingFocus
            "
                Note:  Selection position takes precedence over
                    Cursor position because setting the selection also
                    sets the cursor position in Motif.  As a consequence
                    of this the cursor will always be placed at the end
                    of the selection... even if it was at the beginning
                    when the widget lost focus.
            "
So there is first a difference  of what is selected depending of how you are getting focus: tabbing by keyboard -> everything is selected, by mouse: everything is select up to the mouse position!
So it its important where you click with the mouse. If you click left to the money value, nothing is selected as you reported - if you click to the right of the amount, then the amount is selected up to the point to where you clicked at.
The whole thing is now complicated by the fact that there are two representations of the amount - before having focus the content is something like 12.23 $, if the field has focus, its content reduces to 12.23 (the money sign is removed).
So if you click into the field, the position of the mouse relative to the beginning depends on whether the long or the short representation is at work at that very momenent (I did not find that out yet).
However if you click carefully far at the right of the widget, its content is selected as expected even when the field gets focus over the mouse.
So if the purpose was to select everything in the field, no matter where you click with the mouse, then autoselect does not cover that.
Given the ambition of being platform independent the Motif behaviour implied here under Windows may be felt as unnatural.
And then the shift of the two different representations (long with money sign - without focus and short with focus) makes things even more delicate.
The point is now: if you want a different behaviour here, a way out of the dilema is to subclass AbtTextConverterManager to implement that and to install your variant of the AbtTextConverterManager in your application instead of the original.  This way you will by-pass the implied Motif behaviour (however if you plan to move to Motif, I can predict many more problems of you GUIs, unfortunately, as Motif is very strict and the common widget emulation is relaxed and tolerant in many aspects, where the original Motif isn't.
To change the converter manager is not supported by a protocol (it is lazy initialized when you set a converter). I leave that up to you how to hook the converterManager variable of AbtTextView, potentially global for all instances in your application.

Let me know if I should dig deeper here.
Marcus
[hidden email] schrieb am Mittwoch, 17. Februar 2021 um 15:46:08 UTC+1:
Hi Marcus,

Thanks for continuing to look at this.  I left the connection getFocus -> selectAll off to keep things simple.  It was the first thing I tried when I first encountered the problem.  Adding it to this simple test case doesn't help.

I'm going to look more at #AbtTextConverterManager as I think it talks to the Monetary Amount Converter to get/replace the currently displayed text with unformatted text and then select it.  I think somewhere along the line the selection is not made or more likely is undone.

If we find the bug and fix it, I then have to decide to use the fix or stick with my circumvention.  This is a question of maintenance.  If the base code is changed with the fix, the fix can be lost with an update, if the update doesn't contain a fix.  The circumvention can be rendered unnecessary with an update but that is easily solved by removing it.

Lou

Hi Lou,
Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Lou

_PRAGMA_IS_

"%%PRAGMA DECLARE
))"!

abtUntranslatedConstants

^#(
)!

IS_instanceInterfaceSpec

abtBuildInternals

self 
window 
text2 
text1 
self finalInitialize.
! !

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/54b5e8f7-579e-4d82-91f1-3a6cdfee64d1n%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Louis LaBrunda
In reply to this post by Louis LaBrunda
Hi Marcus,

I'm going to take a break from this and just use my hack of a circumvention, as it seems the solution is very complicated.  The problem in #AbtTextConverterManager may have to do with its instance variable #savedSel (a point).  It keeps track of the selected characters.  I think it is not always in sync with the characters actually selected in the widget.  I think the characters in the widget are selected correctly when the field gets the focus but sometime after that the converter manager get confused and messes thing up.

Lou

P.S.  Instantiations, is there enough here to open a bug report or do I need to formalize it?
On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 9:46:08 AM UTC-5 Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Marcus,

Lou

Hi Lou,
Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Lou

_PRAGMA_IS_

"%%PRAGMA DECLARE
))"!

abtUntranslatedConstants

^#(
)!

IS_instanceInterfaceSpec

abtBuildInternals

self 
window 
text2 
text1 
self finalInitialize.
! !

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/4fe09807-611c-40d7-9799-f13246d0ccbcn%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Marcus,

I made my last post before your last post came in or while it was coming in.  The comment you reference is in an area of code for the tabbing and not clicking into the field.

The ifTrue: part of the code just above the comments is what gets executed.  Break-pointing that code show the call to #setSelection: in the widget has the full size.  So, at that point I think the selection in the widget is correct.  I think it gets messed up later.

I tried changing "w setSelection:" to "self setSelection:" but that didn't help.

When break-pointing at: "w setSelection: ..." or "self setSelection: ..." and resuming the whole thing is selected as desired.  Somehow the delay caused by the breakpoint prevents the selection from changing.

I don't think this is a "feature" of how Motif should work but it is hard to say for sure.  I will say that if one is required to swipe the contents of the field when clicking into it to select all of it, then autoSelect would be designed for tabbing only and therefor less valuable.  I don't point this out to argue with you about it and I am generally loath to claim some behavior is a bug, so I may have been premature here but following the code does show the desired behavior being done and then changed.

Thanks again.

Lou

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 11:01:11 AM UTC-5 Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Marcus,

I'm going to take a break from this and just use my hack of a circumvention, as it seems the solution is very complicated.  The problem in #AbtTextConverterManager may have to do with its instance variable #savedSel (a point).  It keeps track of the selected characters.  I think it is not always in sync with the characters actually selected in the widget.  I think the characters in the widget are selected correctly when the field gets the focus but sometime after that the converter manager get confused and messes thing up.

Lou

P.S.  Instantiations, is there enough here to open a bug report or do I need to formalize it?
On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 9:46:08 AM UTC-5 Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Marcus,

Lou

Hi Lou,
Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Lou

_PRAGMA_IS_

"%%PRAGMA DECLARE
))"!

abtUntranslatedConstants

^#(
)!

IS_instanceInterfaceSpec

abtBuildInternals

self 
window 
text2 
text1 
self finalInitialize.
! !

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/829a7cd7-cb8a-4efe-889f-45eb2d714b1dn%40googlegroups.com.