Problem with Author

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi folks: I think I found a little bug with the Author refactor. To reproduce:

1) Open Monticello browser
2) select a package you modified something, select a repository and press save
3) The popup asking you the full name and surename is opened. The thing is that if you press cancel, it closes the popup but another one is opened :(   yo have no other choice that put "ok"

Can anyone reproduce this ? If so, I'll open a bug ticket.

Best,

Mariano

Re: Problem with Author

Alexandre Bergel
Yes, this happens. But I do not think this is related to the Author
improvement. This also happens in Squeak 3.10

Alexandre

On 17 Aug 2009, at 15:42, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi folks: I think I found a little bug with the Author refactor. To
> reproduce:
>
> 1) Open Monticello browser
> 2) select a package you modified something, select a repository and
> press save
> 3) The popup asking you the full name and surename is opened. The
> thing is that if you press cancel, it closes the popup but another
> one is opened :(   yo have no other choice that put "ok"
>
> Can anyone reproduce this ? If so, I'll open a bug ticket.
>
> Best,
>
> Mariano

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Problem with Author

Miguel Cobá
El lun, 17-08-2009 a las 16:42 -0300, Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:

> Hi folks: I think I found a little bug with the Author refactor. To
> reproduce:
>
> 1) Open Monticello browser
> 2) select a package you modified something, select a repository and
> press save
> 3) The popup asking you the full name and surename is opened. The
> thing is that if you press cancel, it closes the popup but another one
> is opened :(   yo have no other choice that put "ok"

Yes, this is how the original prompt for initials worked before the
rewrite, I didn't modify it.
The thinkg is, it keeps asking until you enter something.

If you could press cancel, when you do other modification, it will
prompt again, so I prefer to keep the old behavior of a continuous
asking for full name.

But this could be changed, of course. What should be the behavior?

> Can anyone reproduce this ? If so, I'll open a bug ticket.
>
> Best,
>
> Mariano
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Problem with Author

Alexandre Bergel
> But this could be changed, of course. What should be the behavior?

Ideally, I would love to have as default text input the name that I
entered the last time I run the image.
Like this, I just have to press 'Ok'.

Alexandre

El lun, 17-08-2009 a las 16:46 -0400, Alexandre Bergel escribió:
> > But this could be changed, of course. What should be the behavior?
>

> Ideally, I would love to have as default text input the name that I
> entered the last time I run the image.

I suppose you refer to the last time you enter your name on *other*
image as if it is the same image, it won't ask for the full name as
already have it.

I think that someone (maybe you) asked for the capability of storing the
full name on the computer disk and if found it will pre-fill the prompt.
I can add this to the author code, but just need to ask if:

- is there a convention for storing squeak/pharo settings e.g. in linux
could be a .squeak/ or .pharo/ folder on the $HOME of the user. In
windows I suppose that in my documents but I really don't use it so I
don't know.
- is there a convention for storing this files besides the
image/changes/sources files. This is as the current pharo/squeak works,
I think.
- the preference browser has the capability of storing the preferences
in a file. Maybe this could be reused and include the full name and try
to read from there on first full name prompt.

Who is in favor, who is against?

Will be useful to other users to have this, supposing the they change
image often, or the hassle of writing by hand once for image it is
negligible?

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Problem with Author

csrabak

Seems sensible and more likely to be expected behaviour.

Em 17/08/2009 17:46, Alexandre Bergel < [hidden email] > escreveu:

> But this could be changed, of course. What should be the behavior?

Ideally, I would love to have as default text input the name that I
entered the last time I run the image.
Like this, I just have to press 'Ok'.

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Problem with Author

Alexandre Bergel
> I suppose you refer to the last time you enter your name on *other*
> image as if it is the same image, it won't ask for the full name as
> already have it.

Exact.

> I think that someone (maybe you) asked for the capability of storing
> the
> full name on the computer disk and if found it will pre-fill the
> prompt.

That was an idea yes.

> I can add this to the author code, but just need to ask if:
> - is there a convention for storing squeak/pharo settings e.g. in
> linux
> could be a .squeak/ or .pharo/ folder on the $HOME of the user. In
> windows I suppose that in my documents but I really don't use it so I
> don't know.

I would not rely on this. I usually have my images a bit everywhere.
and move frequently them around.

> - is there a convention for storing this files besides the
> image/changes/sources files. This is as the current pharo/squeak
> works,
> I think.

next to the image will make me happy.

> - the preference browser has the capability of storing the preferences
> in a file. Maybe this could be reused and include the full name and
> try
> to read from there on first full name prompt.

Could be yes

> Will be useful to other users to have this, supposing the they change
> image often, or the hassle of writing by hand once for image it is
> negligible?

It will be useful for me yes

Alexandre

2009/8/17 Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez <[hidden email]>
El lun, 17-08-2009 a las 16:42 -0300, Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:
> Hi folks: I think I found a little bug with the Author refactor. To
> reproduce:
>
> 1) Open Monticello browser
> 2) select a package you modified something, select a repository and
> press save
> 3) The popup asking you the full name and surename is opened. The
> thing is that if you press cancel, it closes the popup but another one
> is opened :(   yo have no other choice that put "ok"

Yes, this is how the original prompt for initials worked before the
rewrite, I didn't modify it.
The thinkg is, it keeps asking until you enter something.

If you could press cancel, when you do other modification, it will
prompt again, so I prefer to keep the old behavior of a continuous
asking for full name.

But this could be changed, of course. What should be the behavior?

The behavior must be just cancel. Close the popup and do nothing. Not to open the popup again.

> Can anyone reproduce this ? If so, I'll open a bug ticket.
>
> Best,
>
> Mariano
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Problem with Author

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I suppose you refer to the last time you enter your name on *other*
> image as if it is the same image, it won't ask for the full name as
> already have it.

Exact.

> I think that someone (maybe you) asked for the capability of storing
> the
> full name on the computer disk and if found it will pre-fill the
> prompt.

That was an idea yes.

Would be nice

> I can add this to the author code, but just need to ask if:
> - is there a convention for storing squeak/pharo settings e.g. in
> linux
> could be a .squeak/ or .pharo/ folder on the $HOME of the user. In
> windows I suppose that in my documents but I really don't use it so I
> don't know.

I would not rely on this. I usually have my images a bit everywhere.
and move frequently them around.

> - is there a convention for storing this files besides the
> image/changes/sources files. This is as the current pharo/squeak
> works,
> I think.

next to the image will make me happy.

But if you put that file in next to the image and you then have another image is probable it to be in a different directory.

> - the preference browser has the capability of storing the preferences
> in a file. Maybe this could be reused and include the full name and
> try
> to read from there on first full name prompt.

Could be yes

> Will be useful to other users to have this, supposing the they change
> image often, or the hassle of writing by hand once for image it is
> negligible?

It will be useful for me yes

Alexandre

El lun, 17-08-2009 a las 18:13 -0300, Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:

> 2009/8/17 Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez <[hidden email]>
>         El lun, 17-08-2009 a las 16:42 -0300, Mariano Martinez Peck
>         escribió:
>         > Hi folks: I think I found a little bug with the Author
>         refactor. To
>         > reproduce:
>         >
>         > 1) Open Monticello browser
>         > 2) select a package you modified something, select a
>         repository and
>         > press save
>         > 3) The popup asking you the full name and surename is
>         opened. The
>         > thing is that if you press cancel, it closes the popup but
>         another one
>         > is opened :(   yo have no other choice that put "ok"
>         >
>
>         Yes, this is how the original prompt for initials worked
>         before the
>         rewrite, I didn't modify it.
>         The thinkg is, it keeps asking until you enter something.
>
>         If you could press cancel, when you do other modification, it
>         will
>         prompt again, so I prefer to keep the old behavior of a
>         continuous
>         asking for full name.
>
>         But this could be changed, of course. What should be the
>         behavior?
>
> The behavior must be just cancel. Close the popup and do nothing. Not
> to open the popup again.

But this maybe can brake other parts, as the generation of signature for
methods. Supposing that the Author class let the cancel proceed. This
will necessarily to store nil or '' in the fullName inst var of Author.
the calling code (in this case, the evaluate part of the browser or the
debug windows where you modified some code) won't know that the author
hasn't stored the name correctly, so it will procedd as if were. Then
when saving the method/exporting to mc/generating the signature of the
method maybe will go on the assumption that there is a name stored.
Well you get the idea. Maybe I am exaggerating but will be necessary to
review the code using Author to see what will happen if a '' or nil is
stored there.
Of course also can be true that nothing wrong happens (at least with a
nil stored the next time it will prompt again for a full name).

What say the community? :)

> [...]

>         behavior?
>
> The behavior must be just cancel. Close the popup and do nothing. Not
> to open the popup again.

But this maybe can brake other parts, as the generation of signature for
methods. Supposing that the Author class let the cancel proceed. This
will necessarily to store nil or '' in the fullName inst var of Author.
the calling code (in this case, the evaluate part of the browser or the
debug windows where you modified some code) won't know that the author
hasn't stored the name correctly, so it will procedd as if were. Then
when saving the method/exporting to mc/generating the signature of the
method maybe will go on the assumption that there is a name stored.
Well you get the idea. Maybe I am exaggerating but will be necessary to
review the code using Author to see what will happen if a '' or nil is

Ups.... You are right. Sorry, I was thinking funtioncallity, not programatically. I would love that when I press "cancel", the generation of signature and all the next code isn't called.

Of course also can be true that nothing wrong happens (at least with a
nil stored the next time it will prompt again for a full name).

What say the community? :)

>         > Can anyone reproduce this ? If so, I'll open a bug ticket.
>         >
>         > Best,
>         >
>         > Mariano
>
>         > _______________________________________________
>         > Pharo-project mailing list
>         > [hidden email]
>         >
>         http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-project
>         --
>
>         Miguel Cobá
>         http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Problem with Author

csrabak

On a Windows installation in the folder Squeak/Pharo is installed a file named "Squeak.ini" is created. I cannot ascertain right now if contents are exactly the same that in Linux as I'm at work w/o access to a Linux machine.  Ideally the interface (from Pharo code) should be the same.

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx