Problem with Copy-and-Paste on Google Chrome in Ubuntu

Problem with Copy-and-Paste on Google Chrome in Ubuntu

Fábio Petrillo
Dear Pharo Manager,

I am a really newby in Pharo and I was trying to copy-and-paste a code in a Playground, but it didn't work. The original copy was in Google Chrome web page and I used Ubuntu OS. I solved my problem when I pasted to  GEdit editor and I copied another time in GEdit. Finally, I pasted in Pharo Playground.

My objective is just report this issue.

Thank you so much!

Best regards,
Fabio Petrillo

Re: Problem with Copy-and-Paste on Google Chrome in Ubuntu

Thierry Goubier
Hi Fabio,

for the copy paste to work from Chrome, you need to start your Pharo with the  --textenc utf8 command line option.

Regards,

Thierry

Dear Pharo Manager,

I am a really newby in Pharo and I was trying to copy-and-paste a code in a Playground, but it didn't work. The original copy was in Google Chrome web page and I used Ubuntu OS. I solved my problem when I pasted to  GEdit editor and I copied another time in GEdit. Finally, I pasted in Pharo Playground.

My objective is just report this issue.

Thank you so much!

Best regards,
Fabio Petrillo

Re: Problem with Copy-and-Paste on Google Chrome in Ubuntu

Peter Uhnak
Yes, this is well known issue (with pending fix https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/pull/80 ).

Also note that if you use pharo launcher you will have to modify the launch method.

Peter

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 4:22 PM, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Fabio,

for the copy paste to work from Chrome, you need to start your Pharo with the  --textenc utf8 command line option.

Regards,

Thierry

Dear Pharo Manager,

I am a really newby in Pharo and I was trying to copy-and-paste a code in a Playground, but it didn't work. The original copy was in Google Chrome web page and I used Ubuntu OS. I solved my problem when I pasted to  GEdit editor and I copied another time in GEdit. Finally, I pasted in Pharo Playground.

My objective is just report this issue.

Thank you so much!

Best regards,
Fabio Petrillo

Re: Problem with Copy-and-Paste on Google Chrome in Ubuntu

Ben Coman
On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 10:22 PM, Thierry Goubier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Fabio,
>
> for the copy paste to work from Chrome, you need to start your Pharo with
> the  --textenc utf8 command line option.

Just curious why we should not default to that?
cheers -ben

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Fabio,
>
> for the copy paste to work from Chrome, you need to start your Pharo with
> the  --textenc utf8 command line option.

Just curious why we should not default to that?

Because nobody integrated it yet (there's pending fix as I've linked earlier)

Re: Problem with Copy-and-Paste on Google Chrome in Ubuntu

philippeback
I tried by changing in Ununtu's pharo-vm-x script and it indeed works nicely.

Now, where is one to change that?

I was looking in https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-ubuntu but didn't saw the pharo-vm-x thing in there.
Where is it or where is it generated?

Phil