Problem with Event Theatre makes re creating Demon Castle Parts 2 and 3 more challenging

Problem with Event Theatre makes re creating Demon Castle Parts 2 and 3 more challenging

Steve Thomas
See http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-998

We had talked about recreating Parts 2 and 3 of Demon Castle, and while trying to use Event Theatre to record some things I ran into this bug.

Stephen

Re: Problem with Event Theatre makes re creating Demon Castle Parts 2 and 3 more challenging

Derek O'Connell-3
On 01/11/11 03:30, Steve Thomas wrote:

>  See http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-998
>
>  We had talked about recreating Parts 2 and 3 of Demon Castle, and
>  while trying to use Event Theatre to record some things I ran into
>  this bug.
>
>  Stephen
>

>  This body part will be downloaded on demand.

Steve, I've put a comment on the bug report about it being ok in
4.1.2alpha5. What version are you using?

-D

Re: Problem with Event Theatre makes re creating Demon Castle Parts 2 and 3 more challenging

Steve Thomas
Problem occurred for me in Etoys 4.1 build 2390 on Mac OS X 10.6.8
Also ran with ?4.1.2?  "about this system" from help menu shows "etoys 4.1 latest update #2397 (repo v1505 of 26 October 2011)" and had the same problem on my Mac.

Added comment to tracker, later today I will try on Windows 7 machine. and update Tracker.

Stephen

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 4:33 AM, Derek O'Connell <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01/11/11 03:30, Steve Thomas wrote:
 See http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-998

 We had talked about recreating Parts 2 and 3 of Demon Castle, and
 while trying to use Event Theatre to record some things I ran into
 this bug.

 Stephen

 This body part will be downloaded on demand.

Steve, I've put a comment on the bug report about it being ok in 4.1.2alpha5. What version are you using?

-D

Re: Problem with Event Theatre makes re creating Demon Castle Parts 2 and 3 more challenging

Steve Thomas
Okay,  clarification to the problem.
Problem only occurs when you click on the eye dropper to try and pick a color then click in the painting pallette.

If you hover over the painting pallete and pick a color it works. So this is a work around for showing parts of drawing (sans color picker).

Stephen

On 01/11/11 15:34, Steve Thomas wrote:
> Okay,  clarification to the problem.
> Problem only occurs when you click on the eye dropper to try and pick a
> color then click in the painting pallette.
>
> If you hover over the painting pallete and pick a color it works. So this
> is a work around for showing parts of drawing (sans color picker).

I suspect this has something to do with the fact that the event player
emulates the cursor while the colour-picker uses the real cursor, hence
it comes to standstill awaiting real user input. Tricky interactions
going on.

Also, have you noticed you have to close the painter before ending the
recording otherwise the painter gets thrown out to the desktop.
Thereafter, until you close the painter (which in my case was hidden
behind the event-theatre) playback fails to open it. There can only be
one painter open at any time.

-D

On 01/11/11 17:52, Steve Thomas wrote:
> Same problem when you use a simple watcher for a "player variable" and
> click on that to select the player.

and yet the colour picker halo on a rec morph works ok. So that might a
starting point for a solution, although I've seen a comment in recording
code that suggests things are limited when it comes to recursive
recording (now trying to relocate that comment).

-D

On 01/11/11 18:00, Derek O'Connell wrote:
> On 01/11/11 17:52, Steve Thomas wrote:
>> Same problem when you use a simple watcher for a "player variable" and
>> click on that to select the player.
>
> and yet the colour picker halo on a rec morph works ok. So that might
> a starting point for a solution, although I've seen a comment in
> recording code that suggests things are limited when it comes to
> recursive recording (now trying to relocate that comment).

Ticket updated. The comment I had seen was to do with nested recordings,
so unrelated to this issue.