Problem with Pharo 1.3 in Windows

Torsten Bergmann
Marcus wrote
>This situation with the thousands of different VMs is *impossible*. We need >to fix that.

If on Windows you should really use the installer for Pharo 1.2.2.
from the download page. This will give you the two VM's: standard and Cog
and you can use them to start all images from your HD.

Since both have a different icon (also for the Pharo window)
you always know which one you start/running on.

Just give it a try, its simple.

Since the Pharo.exe and PharoCog.exe also have the version number
in the resource section you can right click on it in explorer
and check which code version/revision they have (see attached screenshot).

Bye
T.

vm.png (24K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem with Pharo 1.3 in Windows

Igor Stasenko
On 19 May 2011 08:43, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Marcus wrote
>>This situation with the thousands of different VMs is *impossible*. We need >to fix that.
>
> If on Windows you should really use the installer for Pharo 1.2.2.
> from the download page. This will give you the two VM's: standard and Cog
> and you can use them to start all images from your HD.
>
> Since both have a different icon (also for the Pharo window)
> you always know which one you start/running on.
>
> Just give it a try, its simple.
>
> Since the Pharo.exe and PharoCog.exe also have the version number
> in the resource section you can right click on it in explorer
> and check which code version/revision they have (see attached screenshot).

Torsten, can you please document somewhere, how you chaging the version info?
I really can't understand how today's VMs are versioned, and what
version we could use for Pharo-branded VMs.
Probably with 'P' suffix?

> Bye
> T.
>
> --
> NEU: FreePhone - kostenlos mobil telefonieren und surfen!

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Problem with Pharo 1.3 in Windows

Marcus Denker-4

On May 19, 2011, at 9:16 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 19 May 2011 08:43, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Marcus wrote
>>> This situation with the thousands of different VMs is *impossible*. We need >to fix that.
>>
>> If on Windows you should really use the installer for Pharo 1.2.2.
>> from the download page. This will give you the two VM's: standard and Cog
>> and you can use them to start all images from your HD.
>>
>> Since both have a different icon (also for the Pharo window)
>> you always know which one you start/running on.
>>
>> Just give it a try, its simple.
>>
>> Since the Pharo.exe and PharoCog.exe also have the version number
>> in the resource section you can right click on it in explorer
>> and check which code version/revision they have (see attached screenshot).
>>

> Torsten, can you please document somewhere, how you chaging the version info?
> I really can't understand how today's VMs are versioned, and what
> version we could use for Pharo-branded VMs.
> Probably with 'P' suffix?

*PLEASE* do not take the version numbering that is now in the Squeak VM.
Nobody understands why there is a Version 5 MacVM. Version 5? Squeak is at Verison 4, Pharo at 1.

We *neeeeeeed* for every version of Pharo a VM that has *just* the same version number.

Pharo 1.3 uses VM 1.3. 1.4 uses VM 1.4

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Problem with Pharo 1.3 in Windows

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 19.05.2011 09:16, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 19 May 2011 08:43, Torsten Bergmann<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Marcus wrote
>>> This situation with the thousands of different VMs is *impossible*. We need>to fix that.
>> If on Windows you should really use the installer for Pharo 1.2.2.
>> from the download page. This will give you the two VM's: standard and Cog
>> and you can use them to start all images from your HD.
>>
>> Since both have a different icon (also for the Pharo window)
>> you always know which one you start/running on.
>>
>> Just give it a try, its simple.
>>
>> Since the Pharo.exe and PharoCog.exe also have the version number
>> in the resource section you can right click on it in explorer
>> and check which code version/revision they have (see attached screenshot).
>>
> Torsten, can you please document somewhere, how you chaging the version info?
Here's how we do it for our application:

rc myApp.rc
ResHacker.exe -addoverwrite myApp.exe,  myApp.exe,  myApp.res,
versioninfo,1,

where myApp.rc is the attached, actual values defined in config.h.
So it's not much magic needed :)

rc can be found as part of Visual Studio, and reshacker is freeware,
there's a beta with 64bit exe support.

Cheers,
Henry

myApp.rc (874 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Problem with Pharo 1.3 in Windows

Igor Stasenko
On 19 May 2011 09:39, Henrik Sperre Johansen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 19.05.2011 09:16, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> On 19 May 2011 08:43, Torsten Bergmann<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Marcus wrote

>>> If on Windows you should really use the installer for Pharo 1.2.2.
>>> from the download page. This will give you the two VM's: standard and Cog
>>> and you can use them to start all images from your HD.
>>>
>>> Since both have a different icon (also for the Pharo window)
>>> you always know which one you start/running on.
>>>
>>> Just give it a try, its simple.
>>>
>>> Since the Pharo.exe and PharoCog.exe also have the version number
>>> in the resource section you can right click on it in explorer
>>> and check which code version/revision they have (see attached
>>> screenshot).
>>>
>> Torsten, can you please document somewhere, how you chaging the version
>> info?
>
> Here's how we do it for our application:
>
> rc myApp.rc
> ResHacker.exe -addoverwrite myApp.exe,  myApp.exe,  myApp.res,
> versioninfo,1,
>
> where myApp.rc is the attached, actual values defined in config.h.
> So it's not much magic needed :)

even less magic. Because we don't need to hack existing .exe files
since we can reliably build them from scratch.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Problem with Pharo 1.3 in Windows