Problem with Seaside - image freezing

Long Haired David
Hi Everyone

I hate putting up stupid questions so I apologise if this is one. I am running a 9.2.2 image that is a Seaside application. I am running it out of the image so it is not a runtime. I operate this image for the benefit of my local scale model club.

Check out http://www.ipms-clacton.or.uk. This come from a standard web page. If you click on any link, it will take you to the seaside application running on port 8080.

The website runs nicely. It is quick and has great functionality that suits the local club.

The problem is that, every 36 hours or so, the image freezes and I have to restart the image.  I have been running this code since 9.0  and the problem has been there is every version. The annoying thing is that this is running on a headless server using Microsoft RDP to access it. This means that I, often, don't know that it has frozen. Has anyone out there with experience of Seaside had this problem? If so, is there a way round it.

I would like to give you more information buy my web logs don't provide any consistent page requests and I am not sure how to get anything more from a frozen image.

David
Totally Objects

David
Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: Problem with Seaside - image freezing

Mariano Martinez Peck-2
Hi David,

To get more accurate responses, it would be better if you can give more details. Which Windows version and bitness are you running it? Which VAST bitness are you using?

In any case, in the upcoming VAST 2021 release we have fixed a few long standing bugs (circa 1997, IBM times) that could explain the situation you are seeing. Not only you, but I have heard others "restarting" their Seaside images every night. I hope we fixed that in 10.0.x. And if we didn't, then I can tell you a way to interrupt the VM and see what is going on.

So.... please, try with the recently released ECAP https://www.instantiations.com/ecap/ and let me know if it still happens with it.

Thanks,

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 1:54 PM Totally Objects <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mariano Martinez Peck
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.

Re: Problem with Seaside - image freezing

Long Haired David
Hi Mariano

Windows Server 2012, 64 bit, VAST 9.2.2 64 bit.

I will try the ECAP and report back.

Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: Problem with Seaside - image freezing

Long Haired David

OK Mariano. I thought that we had it sorted. Running under the ECAP, it started at 27th Nov. @ 19:39 and froze around 29th @ 15:26 (according to my logs).

That's much better that we had before but still not good.

David

Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: Problem with Seaside - image freezing

Mariano Martinez Peck-2
Hi David,

Some quick questions:

1) When you load your code on ECAP, did you make sure to update your required maps to the latest version of 10.0.0x? In other words, are you sure that while loading your project, you didn't bring old versions of our maps/apps.

2) When it  "freeze", what's the status of the CPU? Is it kind of idle or burning at 100% usage?

3) How are you starting the image? As a Windows service or manually?

4) Is there a chance you run the image from a CMD, let the CMD open and when hungs, RDP into Windows and be able to do something?

BTW, since you have an active support license, feel free to continue this as a support case and we can assign engineering resources to it.

Best,

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 2:18 PM Totally Objects <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

There are none of your maps or apps in my Config map. I use Seaside for the web stuff and my database is my own key/value one that just uses the Swapper.

When it freezes, I get a message to say that the program has ceased to respond and all I can do is kill it. I haven't looked at CPU usage but everything else is still working.

I start the ECAP from your provided bat file.

Not sure that I understand 4. I am already RDP into the server from my laptop.

My support license is only valid when working as a consultant for my client in the USA. This is a private project and, in any case, my contract expires (after 25 years!) tomorrow evening :-(

Not sure that any of that helps. Sorry.
David

Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 4:44 PM Totally Objects <[hidden email]> wrote:
There are none of your maps or apps in my Config map. I use Seaside for the web stuff and my database is my own key/value one that just uses the Swapper.

When it freezes, I get a message to say that the program has ceased to respond and all I can do is kill it.

OK, next time you see it, please do capture a screenshot for me. Also check if you have walkback or vmtrap files generated.

I haven't looked at CPU usage but everything else is still working.

Please check the next time. From what you say it seems the CPU is fine and VAST is just "hung" but not on a kind of infinitive loop. But still, worth confirming CPU status when hung.

I start the ECAP from your provided bat file.

Not sure that I understand 4. I am already RDP into the server from my laptop.

Modify abt64.bat and add a "-lCON" at the end of this line:

start "" .\bin64\abt.exe -i.\image64\abt.icx -ini:.\image64\abt.ini -lCON

That will keep the CMD open. Once VAST seems frozen, go with the mouse and do focus on the CMD console and press ctrl+break. That should make the VM dump all running Smalltalk processes into the CMD and may give us information on where it is stuck.  The other thing to try (much easier) is the interrupt button. Did you try it? Can you interrupt it? If you couldn't, then please also try  holding the shift key and then click on the interrupt button.

Something else I would do is to keep an eye to the opened file handles as well as GDI handlers. See this post I wrote:  https://dev.to/martinezpeck/troubleshooting-applications-running-on-windows-107m and check the ProcessExplorer. I would use that and see if I can spot anything suspicious...mostly leaks on file handlers or GDIs.

Did you try on another machine with possibly another Windows? It would also be nice to detect if it is related to "stress" or not. I mean, what happens if it runs for 3 days but no one using it? does it still hang?