Problem with fonts

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi

We found with igor the problems that produced red cross in Moose.
The problem is that the system is looking Source Sans Pro and does not find it.

The logic in findBestFont: does not find it because there is no such font registered in font manager
and the default logic is to return TextStyle defaultFont which is a bitmpa one.

So question:
        - may be we should have a FT font default loaded in the system?

        - Doru we remember that you loaded font in the system? May be you do not register well the fonts.
        Could you let us know what you did?

Stef and Igor.

Re: Problem with fonts

EstebanLM
Hi,

well.. source sans pro should be loaded (along with source code pro), but:

1) I loaded the wrong font.
2) for some reason, the build fails to use it by default (you need to update “use freetype” in settings, then re-choose).

I did not spend too much time on trying to fix that bug (others were more urgent), but for those who want to spend a bit on it (cough, cough, Doru, cough, cough), half of the work is already done :)

Esteban

On 28 Mar 2014, at 08:38, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> We found with igor the problems that produced red cross in Moose.
> The problem is that the system is looking Source Sans Pro and does not find it.
>
> The logic in findBestFont: does not find it because there is no such font registered in font manager
> and the default logic is to return TextStyle defaultFont which is a bitmpa one.
>
> So question:
> - may be we should have a FT font default loaded in the system?
>
> - Doru we remember that you loaded font in the system? May be you do not register well the fonts.
> Could you let us know what you did?
>
> Stef and Igor.

Re: Problem with fonts

pharo4Stef@free.fr

On 28 Mar 2014, at 12:38, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

We found with igor the problems that produced red cross in Moose.
The problem is that the system is looking Source Sans Pro and does not find it.

The logic in findBestFont: does not find it because there is no such font registered in font manager
and the default logic is to return TextStyle defaultFont which is a bitmpa one.

So question:
        - may be we should have a FT font default loaded in the system?

        - Doru we remember that you loaded font in the system? May be you do not register well the fonts.
        Could you let us know what you did?

can you execute the following
        -0  (LogicalFont familyName: 'Source Sans Pro' pointSize: 12) realFont
        you should get a freetype font

        - 1 Disable the freetrype in the setting
        - 2 Enable again freetype in the setting
        - 3 (LogicalFont familyName: 'Source Sans Pro' pointSize: 12) realFont

because you should get a strikeFont and this is the bug
So it looks like the image level fonts are lost.

Stef and Igor.

Re: [Pharo-dev] Problem with fonts

Tudor Girba-2
I am not quite sure this is where the problem comes from given that we see half of the letters being well drawn and half not well.

Here is how the font is loaded:
#('SourceCodeProRegular' 'SourceCodeProBold' 'SourceSansProRegular' 'SourceSansProBold') do: [ :each |
each asSymbol asClassIfAbsent: [
Gofer new
smalltalkhubUser: 'girba' project: 'FreeFonts';
package: each;
load ].
(Smalltalk at: each asSymbol) new install ].
FreeTypeSystemSettings loadFt2Library: true.
FreeTypeFontProvider current updateFromSystem.

StandardFonts
setAllStandardFontsTo: (LogicalFont familyName: 'Source Sans Pro' pointSize: 10);
haloFont: (LogicalFont familyName: 'Source Sans Pro' pointSize: 10);
windowTitleFont: (LogicalFont familyName: 'Source Sans Pro' pointSize: 14);
balloonFont: (LogicalFont familyName: 'Source Sans Pro' pointSize: 10);
codeFont: (LogicalFont familyName: 'Source Code Pro' pointSize: 10)

Did I miss something?

Cheers,
Doru

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 12:44 PM, Pharo4Stef <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: [Pharo-dev] Problem with fonts

Tudor Girba-2
And the installation of the font happens like this:

install
FreeTypeFontProvider current
addFromFileContents: self fontContents
baseName: self originalFileName

Cheers,
Doru

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: [Pharo-dev] Problem with fonts

Tudor Girba-2
And a last one :). You can find the actual code here:

GTImageSetupCommandLineHandler>>installFonts

Cheers,
Doru

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 1:42 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nicolas Anquetil

on my computer (linux) nothing gets drawn.
Mondrian works well without text.
As soon as I come on a node and it tries to show the text, I have the red square of death as mentionned by steph.

nicolas

On 28/03/2014 13:41, Tudor Girba wrote:
[...]

Nicolas this is because you clicked on freetype.
Apparently it resets the font form the os but missed the font in the image.
Stef